Hollinger Says

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a fantastic article on the Athletic that goes in depth on the Suns strengths and weaknesses.

If you PM me I can send up to 5 guest passes. Don't PM me if you are on Moderator Naughty list. You know who you are.

https://theathletic.com/2256788/202...-21-suns-preview-chris-paul-contract-phoenix/

Outlook and prediction
If the playoff drought doesn’t end this year, it would be a crushing disappointment after the Suns pushed their chips in with Paul and a rapidly progressing cohort of 20-somethings. Even in the Western Conference, Phoenix looks to be a cut above the other playoff hopefuls with two All-Star caliber guards, a multitude of versatile wings and a plus big man in Ayton.

The chief reason to bet against this team is its own history of stepping on rakes in the Robert Sarver Era, and that can’t be completely discounted. Still, there are too many plus signs to bet on that outcome. The Suns had a positive scoring margin last season and would have been a decent bet to make the playoffs even before the Paul trade.

Now the question is more at another level: Does this team have the talent, depth and coaching to move into the top four in the West? Probably not, but one can’t completely rule it out either. More likely, the Suns finish a rung or two lower. The West is deep enough that the Suns might have to win a play-in game to join the playoff party, but let’s not split hairs on the distinction between sixth and seventh. For the first time in a decade, the Suns appear to be legitimately good.

41-31, 7th in Western Conference

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
That's a pretty solid take. Personally, I think the Suns will do a bit better than that, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they are top four in the West by the end of the season.

On the other hand, I wouldn't die of shock if the whole season falls apart either, this being the Suns. We have all learned that you can never underestimate the Sarver Effect.