Kliff just broke me

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You missed the point. Nobody cares about 1 stat by itself but its part of several factors (including wins) that have improved since 2018.

I think we were last in red zone TD's in 2019...horrible weakness. Now we are #1 through 12-13 games. Recognize it.

It's a huge whoopdie do. Can it improve? Yes but that also has to do with execution. Kirk dropped a TD and then didn't sell out on an excellent play call to get in. How many 3-1/4-1 tries has Drake and the IOL missed? Jeez man. If you can't get 1 yard, you aren't going to win close games. The only criticism I could give with that is find another way...get Streveler in there if the others can't execute.

"Improvement" depends on two things. One of them being how bad you were before. It's subjective. Is the offense better? Sure. Because it was really bad before.

It was good through week 9. We're now on week 14 and it's been poor through those games. If you want to use comparisons we can say it's much worse than it was the first half of the season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not sure Drake is the answer next year, especially at tag price. Doesn’t have that burst this year and Edmonds is just what he is, a change of pace back. We need to find a hidden gem RB that has good speed but can push the pile at the goal line

Drake looks pretty much identical to me. I just don't think we are run blocking as well, or perhaps other teams just have a better idea of what is coming and are better able to stop it.

I don't want to pay Drake big money, but I would like him back.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nuk’s never really been a deep threat. Houston got a WR specifically to be the deep threat in that offense.

It’s also worth saying that you don’t need a 4.33 guy to take a couple shot plays a game. I just don’t think Kyler’s comfortable throwing those deep routes unless they’re super-open.

This isn't aimed at you but all the previous posts too that seem to have forgotten we have hit Nuk a number of times on deep shots this year. At least 2 of his touchdowns as I recall. We just stopped throwing them.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
28 is older than 22-24, right? Maybe I’m wrong.

Sure, a “few”. That’s how many deep shots we’re gonna throw a game because we really have no one to burn a CB off the LoS consistently.

Don’t know how this obvious by now at this point of the season.
Sorry I thought you were saying he’s older in the nfl. He’s probably in the middle of his prime now and has never been able to beat anyone off the LOS, but he still has the size and leaping ability to make plays downfield. K1 missed him on one where he was wide open and I think it has more to do with him not pulling the trigger rather than having a true threat. We don’t, but that’s not the only reason

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
"Improvement" depends on two things. One of them being how bad you were before. It's subjective. Is the offense better? Sure. Because it was really bad before.

It was good through week 9. We're now on week 14 and it's been poor through those games. If you want to use comparisons we can say it's much worse than it was the first half of the season.

You can't look at it as a microcosm.

The fact is...we are #1 in Redzone TD success. Period.
We are a top 10 scoring offense in the NFL. Period

Compared to 2018 or 2019 - light years ahead with basically two major changes to weapons (K1 and Dhop). We need better talent to get to the next level.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah man when there’s a slew of problems you have to look at the man in charge. That’s the way leadership is judged.

talent also plays a part. If you can’t make a field who’s that on? You can’t get 1 yard right up the middle? Who’s that on?

it is what it is

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact is...we are #1 in Redzone TD success. Period.
We are a top 10 scoring offense in the NFL. Period

Both those things are true. It's also true that our offensive form is really poor at the moment.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
talent also plays a part. If you can’t make a field who’s that on? You can’t get 1 yard right up the middle? Who’s that on?

it is what it is

Its the same players from when we were 5-2 and 6-3 right?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its the same players from when we were 5-2 and 6-3 right?

Right and that’s difference guys who are good do it week in and week out. Guys who aren’t as good are inconsistent some weeks great some weeks invisible. That’s what separates players.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Yep without a doubt someone is getting into his ear.

I counted 8 throws between/around the hash marks today, Murray under center around 10+ times & Hop getting moved around formations at least 5 times. I still don’t understand why we aren’t taking any deep shots though

It makes you wonder...

OMG ... I think I even saw a bootleg or two :)

The most frustrating part is that they should've had at least 40 points in that game with all the freebies the Giants kept giving them.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No we didn't. We were handed 14 points and only got 6 and couldn't step on their throats when they sucked hard core in the 1st half.

Yes we did. They didn't do much on offense or defense. We dominated them. Just because we didn't win 40-7 doesn't mean we didn't dominate them.

That is like saying that the Rams didn't dominate us last week because we only lost by 10.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes we did. They didn't do much on offense or defense. We dominated them. Just because we didn't win 40-7 doesn't mean we didn't dominate them.

That is like saying that the Rams didn't dominate us last week because we only lost by 10.

Sure, we ENDED UP dominating them. THEM. If we don't take advantage of mistakes GOOD teams make, we will absolutely rue the missed chances. I'm happy with the win; I'm unhappy with the 1st-half coaching, especially the first "drive." Anyone defending the play calling there has to make you wonder.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, we ENDED UP dominating them. THEM. If we don't take advantage of mistakes GOOD teams make, we will absolutely rue the missed chances. I'm happy with the win; I'm unhappy with the 1st-half coaching, especially the first "drive." Anyone defending the play calling there has to make you wonder.

Not sure who is defending the playcalling. I was debating whether we dominated them or not.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I will jump in here.

We have already seen what happens when we don't take advantage. See Dolphins and Patriots. In fact, Kirk blew it at the end of the first half vs Patriots (dropped TD) and not selling out on first drive yesterday. That was an excellent play call and he didn't try hard enough (see Irv Smith and Justin Jefferson from yesterday).

Going up 17-3 vs the Patriots with the ball in the 2nd half was the plan...just like yesterday. Players didn't execute for the most part (the OL shouldn't get blown off the ball on the goal line...what 3-4 times in two games?). I do hate the play action pass play on 4th down vs Giants, especially with Nuk not on the field/not throwing to him.

Keep in mind...teams/coaches need to learn how to take advantage and learn how to win.

We are a couple of kicks from Zane and/or a couple of plays from Kirk from being a 10-11 win team this year. I would say that is progress.

If we had a decent defense...we would all be talking about more than just making the playoffs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will jump in here.

We have already seen what happens when we don't take advantage. See Dolphins and Patriots. In fact, Kirk blew it at the end of the first half vs Patriots (dropped TD) and not selling out on first drive yesterday. That was an excellent play call and he didn't try hard enough (see Irv Smith and Justin Jefferson from yesterday).
said the same thing in the game thread I was really surprised Kirk didn't get in there.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
said the same thing in the game thread I was really surprised Kirk didn't get in there.

It was a good play on 1st down. 2nd down again, should have scored. But what prompted the thread was the decision to go for it on 4th and then to compound it with a play call that had a very low probability of success.

Take the damn points!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It was a good play on 1st down. 2nd down again, should have scored. But what prompted the thread was the decision to go for it on 4th and then to compound it with a play call that had a very low probability of success.

Take the damn points!

Agreed on 4th down call...horrible play call (no Nuk, etc).

I also agree with the decision to go for it (on the goal line, on the road, its 1 freaking yard). If they don't get it...you have a very good chance to force a punt and try again (which is what happened).

2nd down - Kirk had a TD and let up
3rd down - you have to get 1 yard (put Streveler in there)
4th down - ram it in there again (Streveler?)

We need to get better in these situations (3rd/4th and 1). Not being able to convert has cost us big time and getting cute with Kyler runs to the outside is not the answer (going to get him hurt and the play sucks). Big boy football...let's do it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's easy to criticize individual play calls, calls on particular drives, or playcalling in particular games.

But it's harder to say Kliff is a bum when you look at the overall effectiveness of this offense. Murray is close to most TDs (combined) ever by a Cardinals defense. The Cardinals are a top ten offense in many categories. And all of this is with some obvious holes on the offensive depth chart.

I think the Cardinals need to add at least one more receiver and beef up the defense. CB could use an overhaul.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed on 4th down call...horrible play call (no Nuk, etc).

I also agree with the decision to go for it (on the goal line, on the road, its 1 freaking yard). If they don't get it...you have a very good chance to force a punt and try again (which is what happened).

2nd down - Kirk had a TD and let up
3rd down - you have to get 1 yard (put Streveler in there)
4th down - ram it in there again (Streveler?)

We need to get better in these situations (3rd/4th and 1). Not being able to convert has cost us big time and getting cute with Kyler runs to the outside is not the answer (going to get him hurt and the play sucks). Big boy football...let's do it.

I absolutely agree with the call too and I would go for it on 4th almost every single time. I did like that later in the game they adjusted and sent Drake over the pile. That is the type of adjustment that KK doesn't get enough credit for.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely agree with the call too and I would go for it on 4th almost every single time. I did like that later in the game they adjusted and sent Drake over the pile. That is the type of adjustment that KK doesn't get enough credit for.

Maybe because it took the 13th game of the season to make the adjustment?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson