Chase Edmunds is Overrated

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very happy we have Edmonds. He can't carry the ball 25 times and is not a power runner. Doesn't make him overrated. Most already knew this. Bad game plan at RB.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps overrated was a poor choice of words, he is a good combo back teaming with a power runner like Drake. My issue was that some of the local sports show hosts have gushed over him way too much.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chase Edmunds is a good backup and change of pace back. He cannot carry a full game load and is not any good in short yardage situations. Cards missed Kenyan Drake.

This is bunk.

Our line sucks blocking interior runs. Drake has had very little success inside either.

The problem yesterday is we did not use Edmunds strengths, which is catching the ball and running to the outside.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not overrated, just used poorly

Not the sort of rb you want running 20+ inbetween the tackles but he is great creating mismatches in space and out wide

Exactly. His best games have been when we mix him in (even as the starting RB) using tosses or delays, not running directly up the gut.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't roll with the "He's too small" crowd.

Combine measurements

Chase Edmonds - 69.13" and 205lbs
Christian McCaffrey - 71.25" and 202lbs
Kenyan Drake - - 72.63" and 210lbs
Aaron Jones - 69.13" and 208lbs

How many would like Aaron Jones on this team?

Yes, Edmonds is a little shorter than Drake. But weight wise he's in the same ball park. Yes, before anyone says anything CMC has rocked up since entering the NFL but Chase ain't been on Weightwatchers. He's added weight himself.

There were 2 problems last night. The run calls were poor. Looked like lots of straight forward power / man inside the tackles, which made little sense considering Miami crowded the LOS a lot, especially in the first half. And our our line couldn't create a lane you could fit a puppy through.

I don't think it was really on Chase. We should have attacked the edges more. It was as if Kliff found Mike McCoys old playbook.

When you are playing a team that is wary of Kyler running it's going to be tougher to run through the A and B gaps because the D line is more focused than usual on keeping gap integrity. Running inside the tackles is not smart with any running back on this team.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chase Edmonds is a very good RB2.

All that needs to be said really.

Is what I said many times but then coming the drake haters saying Edmond needs to replace him, cause he is more elusive and not hesitant to go through the middle
Drake is not a breaking tackle machines but if u see him he can get some tough yards something Edmond is not able
Plus Edmonds to be really effective as a receiver needs to have fresh legs
Yesterday they should have to play someone for the dirty job and keeping him effective in his old role

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't roll with the "He's too small" crowd.

Combine measurements

Chase Edmonds - 69.13" and 205lbs
Christian McCaffrey - 71.25" and 202lbs
Kenyan Drake - - 72.63" and 210lbs
Aaron Jones - 69.13" and 208lbs

How many would like Aaron Jones on this team?

Yes, Edmonds is a little shorter than Drake. But weight wise he's in the same ball park. Yes, before anyone says anything CMC has rocked up since entering the NFL but Chase ain't been on Weightwatchers. He's added weight himself.

There were 2 problems last night. The run calls were poor. Looked like lots of straight forward power / man inside the tackles, which made little sense considering Miami crowded the LOS a lot, especially in the first half. And our our line couldn't create a lane you could fit a puppy through.

I don't think it was really on Chase. We should have attacked the edges more. It was as if Kliff found Mike McCoys old playbook.

When you are playing a team that is wary of Kyler running it's going to be tougher to run through the A and B gaps because the D line is more focused than usual on keeping gap integrity. Running inside the tackles is not smart with any running back on this team.
Hey man do u know those numbers belong to some years a go
Drake is bigger now, but it's normal for a professional player being 6'1 tall, has more room to carry additional weights
I guess he is 15/20 pounds heavier then Edmonds, and this make the difference to be a 3 downs running back

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey man do u know those numbers belong to some years a go
Drake is bigger now, but it's normal for a professional player being 6'1 tall, has more room to carry additional weights
I guess he is 15/20 pounds heavier then Edmonds, and this make the difference to be a 3 downs running back

Edmonds is heavier too.

I 100% guarantee Drake isn't 15-20lbs heavier than Edmonds.

Edmonds is likely up to around 215lb. 15-20lbs would put Drake in Isaiah Simmons territory. At most Drake has 5lb on him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Edmonds is heavier too.

I 100% guarantee Drake isn't 15-20lbs heavier than Edmonds.

Edmonds is likely up to around 215lb. 15-20lbs would put Drake in Isaiah Simmons territory. At most Drake has 5lb on him.

Drake is almost 4 inches taller, I see him around 225
Edmonns during the season i guess is around 200
Btw the numbers can't say what the field already showed, drake is a primary back, Edmonds is a great back up with some good playmaking skills

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is what I said many times but then coming the drake haters saying Edmond needs to replace him, cause he is more elusive and not hesitant to go through the middle
Drake is not a breaking tackle machines but if u see him he can get some tough yards something Edmond is not able
Plus Edmonds to be really effective as a receiver needs to have fresh legs
Yesterday they should have to play someone for the dirty job and keeping him effective in his old role

Just to be clear people were not saying replace him, they were saying play Edmonds more. Nobody was saying give Chase 25 carries but for whatever reason KK chose to run the ball quite a bit yesterday and he only really had 1 RB he trusted, so Chase got lots of work.

I'd much rather have them both and have a more equal workload. I was saying for the last 2 weeks losing Drake would hurt us in short yardage, it clearly did yesterday.

I actually was hoping we'd put Streveler in a couple of times because you could see Kyler getting winded, and it's apparent Streveler is not easy to bring down. I've watched some film on him from Canada I know it's a different league but they were talking about Kyler being too small to line up behind the C and just go forward like Brady does, Streveler is REALLY good at that.

He had over 700 yards rushing the one year he played lots in Canada, he's big and strong and pretty athletic. I know it seems dumb to take the ball out of Kyler's hands at key points but when he's exhausted and you don't want to take a timeout, I'd like to see Streveler now and then like in the 49er game where one of the biggest plays of the game was him getting 3 yards on 4th and 1 on a play that was not blocked well at all

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drake is also faster than Edmunds. Drake ran a 4.45 forty at the Combine while Edmunds ran a 4.55.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drake is almost 4 inches taller, I see him around 225
Edmonns during the season i guess is around 200
Btw the numbers can't say what the field already showed, drake is a primary back, Edmonds is a great back up with some good playmaking skills

It doesn't matter what he is to Drake. Would you have Aaron Jones on this team? Yes you would. Edmonds is the same size. Ergo, Edmonds isn't too small.

Would the Packers run Jones up the gut 25 times a game? No they wouldn't. They use his skill set. It's not Edmonds fault Kliff couldn't use him right.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
What I learned yesterday is that I was wrong about Drake. I thought he was just missing cut backs and had poor vision. I now think it's more of how the coaching staff requires the RB's to run.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chase Edmonds is very similar to David Johnson pre-injury but without the size to make him more imposing and take a beating. He is a space player more than anything. While he is willing to run inside, Chase is not special when doing so.

Drake (and other RBs around the league) is just able to find creases when he is running right and get those positive yards. When Drake puts his foot in the ground, he runs downhill which helps him bring more power than Edmonds. Again, we saw that Drake sometimes gets into "bounce it outside" mode, but when he is right, he just brings a different style than Edmonds.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is bunk.

Our line sucks blocking interior runs. Drake has had very little success inside either.

The problem yesterday is we did not use Edmunds strengths, which is catching the ball and running to the outside.

Catching the pass yes but that Dolphin defense has some speed and every time we tried running to the outside they where there

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I have said it in a couple different threads that one thing this team is going to need to do is become more physical inside. We have a nice scheme and players to pressure the edges. What we are lacking is a consistent way to threaten teams between the tackles.

Wanderer

Veteran
Reaction score
Edmonds is very elusive. He breaks a lot of tackles in space.

I agree that his use is a little strange and the the Dolphins have a very legit front.

I want to see more of Edmonds to see if he can develop into a starting level RB.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Asking the diminutive Chase Edmonds to run between the tackles against a stout front seven is going to get you what we got, which is 70 yards on 25 carries, hardly a running game that will produce a victory. My beef isn't with Edmonds, but with KK calling his number twice between the tackles on the final series when we were down 3 points. Didn't KK notice the other 23 carries where Edmonds was averaging a measly 2.7 yards per carry?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson