Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Nope it’s not, you’re right. If he seeking more than a 2 year deal at $4mil per you move on imo.

Word is he’s looking to break the bank at $8-10 mil per year. Lol :doi:
Bucky B, I'm in the "after you select your first pick, you do whatever it takes to draft Dobbins". Yeah, you can draft a guy later and he can be productive but I want a dynamic two headed monster of midgets with Kyler and Dobbins... dude is tailored made for this offense and would make Drake an afterthought, and Drake is pretty damn good in this offense

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
As much as I like Dobbins, I’d still rather take the kid from Vandy later in the draft.

like Bucky said, make that offer to drake and move on once he turns it down.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris Burke (@ChrisBurkeNFL)
3/5/20, 12:04 PM
Kenyan Drake is an obvious one to watch for the Lions since they tried to get him last year.

But my sleeper pick is LeSean McCoy. Matt Patricia has faced him a ton and has a lot of respect for what he can offer as a playmaker.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
43 pages of:

Pay him!
Dont pay him!
Draft one!
Dont draft one!

I freakin love the NFL.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe any of you want to take an RB before round 4.
For me, it begins in round 3. But that's with the idea we're not keeping Drake.
I legit do not get how one could be against a WR at 8, but then want a RB in the 2nd round(high 2nd at that). This is coming from a guy that doesn’t want WR at 8 either.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I legit do not get how one could be against a WR at 8, but then want a RB in the 2nd round(high 2nd at that). This is coming from a guy that doesn’t want WR at 8 either.

ill bite

Its about supporting a young QB. An OT at #8 means your tackles are locked down with decent depth in Justin Murray.

A RB in round 2 is probably one of the top 3 backs in this draft ( and maybe the top one) and is about providing a strong running game to balance the offense -- again, keeping Murray in manageable downs / distances.

I think people are overestimating the ease of finding a really good RB. Because some very good RBs were late round picks or UDFAs is different from any late round pick or UDFA will be a good RB.

Seattle spent two years post Marshawn Lynch trying to replace him -- using 5 draft picks over three drafts to do so.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am now of the thinking each or every other draft you use a 4th or 5th on a dual threat RB and extend none of them ever. Just keep doing that year on year

In theory this sounds good. However, the Cardinals have not done well of late drafting a running back in these later rounds.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ill bite

Its about supporting a young QB. An OT at #8 means your tackles are locked down with decent depth in Justin Murray.

A RB in round 2 is probably one of the top 3 backs in this draft ( and maybe the top one) and is about providing a strong running game to balance the offense -- again, keeping Murray in manageable downs / distances.

I think people are overestimating the ease of finding a really good RB. Because some very good RBs were late round picks or UDFAs is different from any late round pick or UDFA will be a good RB.

Seattle spent two years post Marshawn Lynch trying to replace him -- using 5 draft picks over three drafts to do so.
No, I’m fine with OT at #8. That’s fine at all.

RB is significantly the least impactful position in football nowadays. As long as you have a decent OL, any RB with decent-enough vision will be able to flourish. Longevity for these guys in their prime is just too short.

Seattle is one team, & yet, they still have had success running the ball with late rounders post-Marshawn.

We just seen the recent Super Bowl representatives with UDFAs being the main charge, one coming close to Super Bowl MVP.

Just no need to waste a high 2nd rounder on a RB. Even if Taylor, Swift, CEH, etc, are still on the board. Just can’t do it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take Lamb. Sign Drake and spend the rest of our draft in the trenches

And that’s in addition to boosting the defense in free agency.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Longevity for these guys in their prime is just too short.

you do control them for 5 years of their prime. Byron Murphy, last years 2nd rounder, costs ~$2mm per year. A 2nd round RB is cheap.

so I have no issue taking a RB at #40 if that RB is clearly the best player available.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think it was a guy from SI who said Drake may get a better deal than Melvin Gordon? If that's the case, no thanks! I think the Cards can find a much cheaper and probably just as effective answer in the draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take Lamb. Sign Drake and spend the rest of our draft in the trenches

And that’s in addition to boosting the defense in free agency.

IMO, a high probability it works out this way.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you do control them for 5 years of their prime. Byron Murphy, last years 2nd rounder, costs ~$2mm per year. A 2nd round RB is cheap.

so I have no issue taking a RB at #40 if that RB is clearly the best player available.
Doesn’t matter to me about the price.

That’s still a valuable pick to where you would more than likely get equal amount of production in the 5th or later rounds compared to other positions.

A high 2nd round pick on a RB just isn’t smart to me.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter to me about the price.

That’s still a valuable pick to where you would more than likely get equal amount of production in the 5th or later rounds compared to other positions.

A high 2nd round pick on a RB just isn’t smart to me.

At this point and time I fully agree with you. Now in a couple of years and the Cards have the trenches stocked and the D is back to a top 10 or better D and we have a legit #1 WR then I would entertain a RB in the 2nd rd.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who really cares if Drake leaves. RB is the easiest position in the NFL to replace.

NE has been the best team in the league and goes through RBs like Wisconsincard goes through cigars.
I belong to a school that says: You try to accumulate as many good players as possible and let as few of these guys go, as possible. That's one way to improve your FB team.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I belong to a school that says: You try to accumulate as many good players as possible and let as few of these guys go, as possible. That's one way to improve your FB team.

I think some people here are delusional making like having a quality back is a late round breeze in the park. People citing the freaking Patriots who have succeeded despite their running game because they have Brady and Belichick. One makes an effort to sign Drake but you of course cut him off if he wants top five money. You do not go into the draft blowing off the selection with a definite third round and later, what the hell kind of logic is that for a position which is instrumental to your success? I would draft in Dobbins in the second because I want dynamic and not productive... I would move up into the first for Dobbins because the running back position is huge and not a gimme at all!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some people here are delusional making like having a quality back is a late round breeze in the park. People citing the freaking Patriots who have succeeded despite their running game because they have Brady and Belichick. One makes an effort to sign Drake but you of course cut him off if he wants top five money. You do not go into the draft blowing off the selection with a definite third round and later, what the hell kind of logic is that for a position which is instrumental to your success? I would draft in Dobbins in the second because I want dynamic and not productive... I would move up into the first for Dobbins because the running back position is huge and not a gimme at all!
You’ll be blasted because of the many that believe running back doesn’t matter.

Heres another things that drives me crazy. Virtually everyone says we have me too many holes to fill this off season. Well then why would it matter who we’ve draft since there are going to be some holes not filled.

if Fitz retires next year we will be scrounging to sign or draft a wr. If we take Lamb who many are saying is the best wr in the draft it will be a “ hole” filled for the next ten years. Not too many teams can say they don’t need a Hopkins or Thomas or Beckham.

All this is tied to free agency. Fill 3 or 4 holes on the defense, Draft Lamb and if you let Drake walk away accept the fact we need to draft a running back. But if we draft a running back draft one that’s a duel threat. So don’t kid yourself that we can wait until the fifth round to find the next Melvyn Gordon.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Heres another things that drives me crazy. Virtually everyone says we have me too many holes to fill this off season. Well then why would it matter who we’ve draft since there are going to be some holes not filled.

if Fitz retires next year we will be scrounging to sign or draft a wr. If we take Lamb who many are saying is the best wr in the draft it will be a “ hole” filled for the next ten years. Not too many teams can say they don’t need a Hopkins or Thomas or Beckham.

All this is tied to free agency. Fill 3 or 4 holes on the defense, Draft Lamb and if you let Drake walk away accept the fact we need to draft a running back. But if we draft a running back draft one that’s a duel threat. So don’t kid yourself that we can wait until the fifth round to find the next Melvyn Gordon.
1. We can fill all of the "holes" this year. Can we fill them with perfect, above average players? Maybe not, but we can afford to find starters at every position. Not if we spend money on guys like Drake, or Austin Hooper, or some other "upgrade," but we can make it happen.

2. Melvin Gordon in the fifth round would be great. The guy has put up over 50 receptions twice in his career, so he's actually pretty multifaceted.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

I know, it's baffling how people think running backs now grow on trees and one can simply find a stud nonchalantly later in the draft

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson