Trade w/ Tampa for Mike Evans?

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why would you let him walk for nothing? Trade him.

Teams would LAUGH at us if we tried to trade him. He is an injury prone, average OT. Someone will sign him in FA, but no one is giving up something of value and then paying him a big contract.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then he sits out the year and you draft his replacement.

He is not that good and the Cardinals have the leverage this year.

BTW - why would he not agree to a guaranteed 14m/year? That would nearly double his lifetime earnings (in 1 year).

Why would he sign a Tag when you've said it's only for the purpose of a trade that he has no control over?

And the chances of the Cards losing an asset for a season to simply play hardball is slim, none... and slim left town!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you, I think those are the most likely scenarios because Keim and this team are all about "Good Enough" when it comes to the O-Line. DJ Humphries doesn't completely suck, so lets pay him like a top LT.

Franchise tagging him is the best option, so it will be up to him. For a guy that has missed 21 games in 4 years, and only actually played 54% of his rookie contract, I don't think its crazy to put together 2 injury free years before a team rolls out the brinks truck.

I would be fine paying him 15 million for 1 year, and if he stays healthy and plays well then we can sign him next year. We can also see what happens in the draft and might find his replacement anyway.

Why are you OK with keeping a guy around at $15M who you say "sucks" but not completely?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams would LAUGH at us if we tried to trade him. He is an injury prone, average OT. Someone will sign him in FA, but no one is giving up something of value and then paying him a big contract.

Everyone is prone to injury in a crash sport!

What's important is his present health and nowhere is it written that he'll be injured again.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why are you OK with keeping a guy around at $15M who you say "sucks" but not completely?

I have said multiple times that I think he is average. He is not an elite LT, and IMO shouldn't be paid like it.

IF...and I think its a huge IF...he can stay healthy again next year and put together another strong year, then he will have done more to earn a 15+ million per year contract. I don't think he has done enough at this point to get that contract, so if the choice is sign him long team (60 million+ over 4 years) then I would let him walk.

If he will sign and play under the tag, it is probably the best option for both of us, not knowing what will happen with the draft.

If we knew we could land Andrew Thomas @8, I would let him walk right now.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everyone is prone to injury in a crash sport!

What's important is his present health and nowhere is it written that he'll be injured again.

But you can't seriously think someone would trade us something for him and then resign him to a big contract?

The idea of trading him is crazy. Trent Williams is a guy you trade for a resign, not DJ Humprhies.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is his alternative?

Putting forward a list of teams, he's willing to play for under the Tag or requesting permission to negotiate a trade with a team(s) willing to sign him long-term in a tag and trade scenario.

If not, wait for 10 games before signing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you can't seriously think someone would trade us something for him and then resign him to a big contract?

The idea of trading him is crazy. Trent Williams is a guy you trade for a resign, not DJ Humprhies.
When you read the bio of Trent Williams and consider his age I don’t see a can’t miss idea. Injuries and suspensions for drugs (twice) raise many flags.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Sit the first 10 games then report. Not saying it’s the smartest or right thing to do but players do it. Melvyn Gordon did it this year.

Putting forward a list of teams, he's willing to play for under the Tag or requesting permission to negotiate a trade with a team(s) willing to sign him long-term in a tag and trade scenario.

If not, wait for 10 games before signing.

Guys - DJ has no leverage and the F-Tag is almost as much as he has made in his entire career.

If he was an elite LT with a history of performance, then yes (different situation).

There is no way he sits out.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Your not allowed to trade a player under the tag. You can recind the tag and trade them, but then
When you read the bio of Trent Williams and consider his age I don’t see a can’t miss idea. Injuries and suspensions for drugs (twice) raise many flags.

But I will bet you 5$ Trent Williams IS traded and resigned this offseason, while not a single team expresses interest in trading for Humphries. He will either be signed or tagged by us, or he will get a prove it deal from another team

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Your not allowed to trade a player under the tag. You can recind the tag and trade them, but then

But I will bet you 5$ Trent Williams IS traded and resigned this offseason, while not a single team expresses interest in trading for Humphries. He will either be signed or tagged by us, or he will get a prove it deal from another team

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guys - DJ has no leverage and the F-Tag is almost as much as he has made in his entire career.

If he was an elite LT with a history of performance, then yes (different situation).

There is no way he sits out.

Sitting out the first 10 games is IN FACT leverage and he'll likely be free as a bird 2021.

He won't sit out (not because of your reasoning) but rather because he's wanted and needed in AZ either under the TAG or because they choose to sign him long-term.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You’re on . I’ll bet you $5 he remains in Washington and Rivera.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

That is false.

It just happened with Clowney.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2...n-franchise-tag-tender-join-seattle-seahawks/

A franchise-tagged player can be traded and teams can work out any compensation they like; they can deviate from the two first-round draft picks that a franchise-tagged player's new team must give to his previous team if the player is signed to an offer sheet not matched by his previous team.Feb 20, 2018
If Redskins franchise-tag Kirk Cousins, they'd risk much for ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com › news › sports › 2018/02/20 › the-risks-fa...

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Sitting out the first 10 games is IN FACT leverage and he'll likely be free as a bird 2021.

He won't sit out (not because of your reasoning) but rather because he's wanted and needed in AZ either under the TAG or because they choose to sign him long-term.

LOL...you know you're wrong then. He won't hold out and he has no leverage.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Obtuse or deliberately so?

I'll go with the former.

So when you're wrong...you resort to name calling? Nice.

I will bet you $100 that if DJ gets the franchise tag he doesn't miss a single game (as a holdout). Injury doesn't count.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I will bet you $100 that if DJ gets the franchise tag he doesn't miss a single game (as a holdout). Injury doesn't count.

You suggested tagging him for the expressed purpose of trading him and that he was without options. This is demonstrably wrong.

Spare me the meaningless $100 bet - I'm sure you need it more than I and, as said, he'll be here either under the Tag or a new deal because he's part of the plan going forward.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You suggested tagging him for the expressed purpose of trading him and that he was without options. This is demonstrably wrong.

Spare me the meaningless $100 bet - I'm sure you need it more than I and, as said, he'll be here either under the Tag or a new deal because he's part of the plan going forward.

That's what I thought. Point made.

Good day sir.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I'll bet you a six pack of beer that if he gets the franchise tag, he makes noise about holding out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson