AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is far fetched, but what if we offered:

Patrick Peterson, David Johnson, 3rd round pick

for

Mike Evans, Cameron Brate

Tampa's pass defense was HORRID, and their running backs were not good. They already have Chris Godwin as a #1 WR and Perriman looked good for them.

They would get an all-pro CB, and a starting RB. They would also get rid of Brate's contract, since they already have OJ Howard.

We would end the PP21 discussion of whether or not he wants to be here. We would be able to move on from DJ and move forward with Drake, and we would get one of the best WR's in the league. Evans is EXACTLY the type of WR we need, is only 26, and is signed for 4 more years.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. This is the deepest WR draft maybe ever why would we trade for any WR this offseason.

and not only that why on earth would they give him up

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. This is the deepest WR draft maybe ever why would we trade for any WR this offseason.

and not only that why on earth would they give him up
Think you just answered your own question. You trade him because it's a deep wr class, and you get a guy on a rookie contract. This is the year cap strapped teams should look to move high paid wrs, Tampa doesn't have cap problems, so dont see that happening but could see other teams try and move some wrs.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Think you just answered your own question. You trade him because it's a deep wr class, and you get a guy on a rookie contract. This is the year cap strapped teams should look to move high paid wrs, Tampa doesn't have cap problems, so dont see that happening but could see other teams try and move some wrs.

Same reason we should trade Humphries. The OT class this year is stacked and we can get 2 OT's for ~6m/year vs 14m for Humphries. That extra ~8m could be used for another starter in FA (like Drake/although not the full 8m IMO).

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is far fetched, but what if we offered:

Patrick Peterson, David Johnson, 3rd round pick

for

Mike Evans, Cameron Brate

Tampa's pass defense was HORRID, and their running backs were not good. They already have Chris Godwin as a #1 WR and Perriman looked good for them.

They would get an all-pro CB, and a starting RB. They would also get rid of Brate's contract, since they already have OJ Howard.

We would end the PP21 discussion of whether or not he wants to be here. We would be able to move on from DJ and move forward with Drake, and we would get one of the best WR's in the league. Evans is EXACTLY the type of WR we need, is only 26, and is signed for 4 more years.

See no reason they would covet Johnson when they have a RB (Jones) who actually performs a little bit better than Johnson. In essence they would be trading both Evans and Brate for Peterson and a 3rd. Add Johnson's contract and it make seven less sense for TB to make the trade. I think the team is stuck with Johnson for at least another year unless they decide to just let him go and take the cap hit.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Same reason we should trade Humphries. The OT class this year is stacked and we can get 2 OT's for ~6m/year vs 14m for Humphries. That extra ~8m could be used for another starter in FA (like Drake/although not the full 8m IMO).

DJ is a Free Agent!

We either tag or sign him long term.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nobody is taking on David Johnson's contract and his 2020 dead money is greater than his cap hit. Just another bad deal by Keim that handicaps the team moving forward.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
TB has to pay a QB, they have big money tied up with Evans and will have to pay Godwin. They need lots of help on defense.

What if Herbert makes it to #8?? Would you do PP21 & #8 for Evans and #14?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What class is stacked? The draft? Cause no it’s not it’s thin as all hell.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
it’s not stacked at OT at all pretty much only 3 first rounders then after that a huge fall off and only 1 of those OT is a LT Andrew Thomas, Wirfs and Wills are RT.

our LT gave up 2 sacks all year...2 yeah let’s replace him

There were solid OT's taken into round 3 last year and this year is even better IMO. We can agree to disagree.

I am sure DJ will be back but based on his entire career, I am not sure how we can pay him 14m/year.

5 years in the league and could have played max of 80 games but has only played 43.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cody Ford was drafted about where we pick in round 2 last year (7.5m for 4 years total):

Dalton Risner was picked 41st last year and is making 7m for 4 years total:

Max Scharping was taken 55th last year (5m for next 4 years total):

Bobby Evans was taken in 3rd round (#97) and is getting 3.5m for next 4 years total.

The bottom line is DJ has been in the league for 5 years and has severely under-performed/not been available. Tying up 14m/year for a guy like this could cripple the franchise.

This draft is stacked with OT's and DJ could easily be replaced for a significant decrease in cost.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There were solid OT's taken into round 3 last year and this year is even better IMO. We can agree to disagree.

I am sure DJ will be back but based on his entire career, I am not sure how we can pay him 14m/year.

5 years in the league and could have played max of 80 games but has only played 43.

Cody Ford was drafted about where we pick in round 2 last year (7.5m for 4 years total):

Dalton Risner was picked 41st last year and is making 7m for 4 years total:

Max Scharping was taken 55th last year (5m for next 4 years total):

Bobby Evans was taken in 3rd round (#97) and is getting 3.5m for next 4 years total.

The bottom line is DJ has been in the league for 5 years and has severely under-performed/not been available. Tying up 14m/year for a guy like this could cripple the franchise.

This draft is stacked with OT's and DJ could easily be replaced for a significant decrease in cost.

14 million isn’t going to “cripple” a franchise. When there is 1 count em 1 LT that grades out as a first rounder that’s not stacked.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it’s not stacked at OT at all pretty much only 3 first rounders then after that a huge fall off and only 1 of those OT is a LT Andrew Thomas, Wirfs and Wills are RT.

our LT gave up 2 sacks all year...2 yeah let’s replace him
Just playing devils advocate here but he was 3rd in the NFL in penalties. All those false starts were just as bad as sacks.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mark my words....DJ Humphries is going to be the next "What the hell was Keim thinking giving him a big payday" people will complain about on this board. They said it about Honey Badger who was an all-pro. They say it about David Johnson, and it appears to be justified.

Humphries has missed 21 games in the 4 years he has been expected to play...and that doesn't include his "redshirt" year that BA gave him.

Yes, he gave up 2 sacks last year, which is great. He also committed a ton of penalties and played a full season for the first time in his career.

It all depends on him. If he is going to want 15+ million per year, which if he can get on the open market more power too him....then I think we can do better. If he wants to give us a hometown discount and sign a 3 year/30 million deal and prove he is elite to earn a big pay day, I would take that risk.

I think Andrew Thomas would be better from Day 1. I think there are a couple of guys in round 2 that could be as good. And I think there are FA O-Lineman we could take a shot on for 7-8 million a year that would be just as good.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
And because that's THE PLAN he refuses to sign the tag... then what?

Then he sits out the year and you draft his replacement.

He is not that good and the Cardinals have the leverage this year.

BTW - why would he not agree to a guaranteed 14m/year? That would nearly double his lifetime earnings (in 1 year).

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mark my words....DJ Humphries is going to be the next "What the hell was Keim thinking giving him a big payday" people will complain about on this board. They said it about Honey Badger who was an all-pro. They say it about David Johnson, and it appears to be justified.

Humphries has missed 21 games in the 4 years he has been expected to play...and that doesn't include his "redshirt" year that BA gave him.

Yes, he gave up 2 sacks last year, which is great. He also committed a ton of penalties and played a full season for the first time in his career.

It all depends on him. If he is going to want 15+ million per year, which if he can get on the open market more power too him....then I think we can do better. If he wants to give us a hometown discount and sign a 3 year/30 million deal and prove he is elite to earn a big pay day, I would take that risk.

I think Andrew Thomas would be better from Day 1. I think there are a couple of guys in round 2 that could be as good. And I think there are FA O-Lineman we could take a shot on for 7-8 million a year that would be just as good.

Mark my words....DJ Humphries is going to be the next "What the hell was Keim thinking when he let him walk for nothing" people will complain about on this board.

Say what you will but it's almost written in stone: He gets tagged or signs long term with a base salary equal or greater than the tag.

That's where the market is for a young dancing bear with experience!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Mark my words....DJ Humphries is going to be the next "What the hell was Keim thinking when he let him walk for nothing" people will complain about on this board.

Why would you let him walk for nothing? Trade him.

OP
OP
A

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Say what you will but it's almost written in stone: He gets tagged or signs long term with a base salary equal or greater than the tag.

That's where the market is for a young dancing bear with experience!

I don't disagree with you, I think those are the most likely scenarios because Keim and this team are all about "Good Enough" when it comes to the O-Line. DJ Humphries doesn't completely suck, so lets pay him like a top LT.

Franchise tagging him is the best option, so it will be up to him. For a guy that has missed 21 games in 4 years, and only actually played 54% of his rookie contract, I don't think its crazy to put together 2 injury free years before a team rolls out the brinks truck.

I would be fine paying him 15 million for 1 year, and if he stays healthy and plays well then we can sign him next year. We can also see what happens in the draft and might find his replacement anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson