Trade w/ Tampa for Mike Evans?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boldin felt he deserved a contract extension similar to what Fitz received. He would have settled for less but not dramatically less. I think the Cards made a big mistake letting him go. He was a winner and I’ve always believed those guys are the foundation blocks you build a long term contender around.
Agree... but, the Cardinals had already given Boldin an extension and big raise much sooner than most rookies get them, with a couple years remaining on his rookie contract. It was not unreasonable for them to hold the line when he asked for another raise just a couple years into his second contract. But speculation at the time, perhaps plausible but never officially confirmed, was that Whiz or someone in the front office promised him he'd get one, then reneged, and that soured things irreparably.

...dave

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Castonzo is also, what? 32?

32 is close to hitting the wall.

It would be a ridiculously stupid idea to trade in a mid tier LT for one who is likely nearing the end.

Respectfully disagree. It isn't ideal to trade a 26 year old for a 31 (Trent Williams) or 32 (Anthony Costanzo).

However, Trent Williams is a top 5 (maybe 3) LT. 7 time pro bowler. He is a lot like Jason Peters below, who is also playing at a very high level at 38. Whitworth (Rams) did as well until this year at age 38. He was an All Pro at age 36. Even at 38, he graded out better than DJ.

The bottom line - would you trade a 26 year old, oft injured, mediocre CB for Patrick Peterson (assuming we are talking about the Pro Bowl PP)? That is what we are talking about with this kind of trade for a Trent Williams. Trent and PP21 probably have 3-5 good years left, while DJ has 10 but will he play in them and can he become elite? In the meantime, you will be paying him as if he is elite. No bueno.

Here is what I do know (my opinion):
1) You can't let DJ walk for nothing
2) You can't sign DJ to a top 5 LT contract with big guarantees

Top 50 free agents and DJ isn't on there (ranked by PFF rating):

15. Anthony Castonzo, Indianapolis OT

PFF rating: 81.3

2019 cap hit: $11 million

Castonzo has not missed a start for the Colts, whose now sturdy offensive line allowed them to overcome quarterback Andrew Luck’s sudden retirement. Castonzo could be a prime target for many teams, including the Browns, but the Colts have plenty of money to spend this offseason. Their $107.2 million in cap room ranks second behind Miami.

14. Jason Peters, Philadelphia OT

PFF rating: 81.8

2019 cap hit: $8.6 million

After nine Pro Bowls and two All-Pro seasons, Peters has remained a consistent starter despite not being the same dominant force. The Eagles drafted Andre Dillard last year with the intentions of replacing Peters as the starting left tackle.

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/20...s-to-watch-potential-fits-for-the-browns.html

You must be registered for see images attach

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boldin felt he deserved a contract extension similar to what Fitz received. He would have settled for less but not dramatically less. I think the Cards made a big mistake letting him go. He was a winner and I’ve always believed those guys are the foundation blocks you build a long term contender around.

When Whiz blurted out his thoughts on Boldin's deal the relationship with the Cards soured and I don't think there was any real chance of repair short of a virtual matching of the Fitzgerald contract. He'd accept less but not from the Cards.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard