Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can't afford to pay $20 million at the position
If the Cardinals have to eat David Johnson's cap hit, so be it. It sucks that he didn't continue along the promising path he was once on, but it's going to be a cap hit no matter what.

In no way should that dictate how the Cardinals allocate cap space to the RB position or any other position going forward. Saying that Johnson's cap hit means that the Cardinals can't spend money on another RB makes no sense. If Drake or any RB were worth another $5M and that's the best way to improve the Cardinals roster, then the fact that Johnson's cap hit turned out to be a huge waste is a bummer, but has no bearing on whether they should sign that RB to that contract.

If the Cardinals had a WR with a huge cap hit who got a career ending injury, would that mean they shouldn't spend money on WRs? Of course not.

Drake is worth what he's worth. Johnson's cap hit has no bearing on what the Cardinals should spend at the RB position.

...dave

Dingding

Veteran
Reaction score
If the Cardinals have to eat David Johnson's cap hit, so be it.

A trade with DJ would require some skill on Kiems part. I just see Kiem cutting player after player taking huge salary hits. I don't think he has the skill to pull a trade off. He may just eat the whole @#$! sandwich.

Johnson's cap hit has no bearing on what the Cardinals should spend at the RB position.

...dave

Agreed, assuming the expenditure required is reasonable.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
In other words, if the risk works out well, it was a good risk, and if not, it was a bad risk? Looking at outcomes in hindsight and ignoring the definition of "risk" is not the proper way to judge a risk in the context of when it was taken.

...dbs
I'm talking about how I felt about the moves before or as they happened. Would it help if I provided an example of what I thought was a good risk that didn't work out? How about the Mike Iupati signing? At least he'd been good somewhere before and was a major position of need. Unfortunately he didn't stay healthy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If the Cardinals have to eat David Johnson's cap hit, so be it. It sucks that he didn't continue along the promising path he was once on, but it's going to be a cap hit no matter what.

In no way should that dictate how the Cardinals allocate cap space to the RB position or any other position going forward. Saying that Johnson's cap hit means that the Cardinals can't spend money on another RB makes no sense. If Drake or any RB were worth another $5M and that's the best way to improve the Cardinals roster, then the fact that Johnson's cap hit turned out to be a huge waste is a bummer, but has no bearing on whether they should sign that RB to that contract.

If the Cardinals had a WR with a huge cap hit who got a career ending injury, would that mean they shouldn't spend money on WRs? Of course not.

Drake is worth what he's worth. Johnson's cap hit has no bearing on what the Cardinals should spend at the RB position.

...dave
It's not just about David Johnson, it's about the 8 starting spots we have zero players for. We can pay Kenyan Drake $5 million per, but ensure we trot Rodney Gunter back out there as a starting defensive end because we won't have the money to pay anyone else. Or a Justin Murray type player at LT. This is the simple economics of accepting that either we pay this guy big money hoping he's going to be a much more dynamic player than he's been, while still having a ton of salary on the books, or hope that our other running backs can improve with a team around them that isn't comprised of street free agents.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about how I felt about the moves before or as they happened. Would it help if I provided an example of what I thought was a good risk that didn't work out? How about the Mike Iupati signing? At least he'd been good somewhere before and was a major position of need. Unfortunately he didn't stay healthy.

And, in typical Cardinals fashion, he has been good for Seattle this year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
A trade with DJ would require some skill on Kiems part. I just see Kiem cutting player after player taking huge salary hits. I don't think he has the skill to pull a trade off. He may just eat the whole @#$! sandwich.

Agreed, assuming the expenditure required is reasonable.

One thing Keim has shown is being a shrewd trading partner who does well in that area... he's actually quite capable of making a trade

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Drake made it very clear with his 2 TD celebrations he wants to get paid. 1st he pretends to open a safe and take all the money and 2nd he does the manziel money sign. Don’t think he cares where he just wants as much money as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Drake made it very clear with his 2 TD celebrations he wants to get paid. 1st he pretends to open a safe and take all the money and 2nd he does the manziel money sign. Don’t think he cares where he just wants as much money as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heh my thoughts too...

He's a good fit for this offense, but yea we are going to have to pay him to keep him. Not as much tread on his tires as other rbs.

Tough spot for Keim.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
DJ got paid and Drake is looking to get paid... Hate to make it that basic, but that’s what we have seen...

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
I'm leery of paying another RB big money but we have to find a way to keep him on a reasonable deal. If only we didn't have so much money tied up to DJ right now, sigh.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
No game ball for Drake? WTF?

CJ of course and Hundley gets one but why not Drake?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drake. .

My thought:: tag him.

Keep DJ one more year as the CAP hit drops from $16m to $3m in 2021

If Drake continues to excel, try to sign him to an extension in 2021.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Drake. .

My thought:: tag him.

Keep DJ one more year as the CAP hit drops from $16m to $3m in 2021

If Drake continues to excel, try to sign him to an extension in 2021.
ILL tag DJ first unless you want him to sit out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison