OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Drake. .

My thought:: tag him.

Keep DJ one more year as the CAP hit drops from $16m to $3m in 2021

If Drake continues to excel, try to sign him to an extension in 2021.
Hahaha you want to give him 11m for next year? Are you crazy? If we are tagging anyone it’s DJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hahaha you want to give him 11m for next year? Are you crazy? If we are tagging anyone it’s DJ.

The Transition tag was $9m this season, probably $10m in 2020. Rather than questioning peoples sanity, offer up a REALISTIC solution?

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good offenses have 3 good running backs. There are creative ways to structure contracts to fit what a team needs. Signing Drake to a 5 m contract for next year can be offset by signing bonus , roster bonus whatever. In 2021 we lose DJ salary burden.

When you acquire good players you find a way to keep them. Drake has proven to be a great fit for this offense. It’s great to see a hard running running back. He’s a rb with very low milage. Do we really feel it’s just easy to replace him with a rookie rb in the 4 th round who can run, catch passes, block and pick up blitz’s?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If I'm Kenyan Drake, I'm looking to get out of here. Tons of question marks, an RB you could potentially time-share with, probably will low-ball the offer...

Not trying to say anything bad about the Cards, I just think he gets paid more elsewhere, maybe for a team with a better chance to contend. Houston, New England, Tampa Bay...
New England paying top dollar to a running back free agent? Get the F outta here!

and drake has found a good place as far as style goes. He gets a good offer here I’m betting he’s staying.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
David Johnson will never be a productive back in the nfl again.

lf you still can’t see that you are blind.

I disagree. Johnson is slow to process and makes mental mistakes, but a BA offense fits him much better than this RPO offense. He will never return to 2016 form, but he still has value for Tampa.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I disagree. Johnson is slow to process and makes mental mistakes, but a BA offense fits him much better than this RPO offense. He will never return to 2016 form, but he still has value for Tampa.

And don’t forget that TB will have somewhere in the neighborhood of $90million in cap space this coming offseason. They can EASILY afford Johnson.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
New England paying top dollar to a running back free agent? Get the F outta here!

and drake has found a good place as far as style goes. He gets a good offer here I’m betting he’s staying.
Not top dollar, just competitive. Not as sure after today's game though.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Drake fits our system very well, so keeping him would be good.

Lets not forget that he was widely available at the trade deadline and could only fetch a 6th round pick (up to 5th?). If we knew he was good, so did other teams but with very limited interest.

Lets not negotiate against ourselves.
It's also the system. Chase Edmonds was really good a few games as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

They could offer drake a similar offer to what they gave burkhead who isn’t as good. Michel is done there he has been in the dog house for quite some time.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards have big problems with the David Johnson contract but regardless they got to keep Drake.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Good offenses have 3 good running backs. There are creative ways to structure contracts to fit what a team needs. Signing Drake to a 5 m contract for next year can be offset by signing bonus , roster bonus whatever. In 2021 we lose DJ salary burden.

When you acquire good players you find a way to keep them. Drake has proven to be a great fit for this offense. It’s great to see a hard running running back. He’s a rb with very low milage. Do we really feel it’s just easy to replace him with a rookie rb in the 4 th round who can run, catch passes, block and pick up blitz’s?
If the Cards resign Drake, they will have 1 good running back, not 3. DJ is done...and Edmonds is just a guy capable of spot duty.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I get the feeling Drake wants to be here...He’s producing in this system. We gotta find a way to resign him.

It's also the system. Chase Edmonds was really good a few games as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think it is very important to look at the system at this point. Drake is made for it, and is rightfully excelling in his role.

But to say we need to re-sign him would be to ignore how much we have done for him and our system does for pretty much any RB we have plugged in.

We need to get out of DJ's contract. And we need to start sticking to the affordable RB approach. My guess is that Keim understands that now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The td celebration suggests he wants to get paid so we have to be careful, anything over 5 million per is dicey given his college injury history. But he's been terrific so I hope we find a way to keep him that doesn't break the bank.

We have to be smart though, with Kyler at QB and the threat to run there's often one less run defender, that and the OL improving has led to some gaping holes for our RB's to go through.

I hope we keep him, if we don't I hope we keep Matt Breida in mind from the 49ers. he's a UFA and with Mostert and Coleman and still lots of money tied up in McKinnon(who's been hurt) they might not keep Breida. Breida is a perfect fit for this offense very good receiver, big play threat.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is very important to look at the system at this point. Drake is made for it, and is rightfully excelling in his role.

But to say we need to re-sign him would be to ignore how much we have done for him and our system does for pretty much any RB we have plugged in.

We need to get out of DJ's contract. And we need to start sticking to the affordable RB approach. My guess is that Keim understands that now.

Interesting comments that make sense that KK's system may be good for many RBs not just Drake. DJ is through but that is a different issue. There are going to be a lot of free agent RBs beside Drake and some good ones in the draft. Bottom line, IMO you are right not to break the bank on Drake as we did on DJ.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn