Cardinals Trade for RB Kenyan Drake

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard that too. For a guy with 2 good games it was really awkward.

It is bad negotiating to say "This is the only place I want to play!"

Nothing to see here. IMO

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
It is bad negotiating to say "This is the only place I want to play!"

Nothing to see here. IMO
Did you hear the interview? I heard the same questions asked of many players but never heard anyone answer like he did. It was unreal.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you hear the interview? I heard the same questions asked of many players but never heard anyone answer like he did. It was unreal.

Yes I did. He was very noncommittal and didnt pander to the hosts and the audience. The most important listeners were Bidwill and Keim and I thought he was very aware of that.

As a RB, there is a very high probability this could be his last shot at a big signing bonus check.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Drake fits our system very well, so keeping him would be good.

Lets not forget that he was widely available at the trade deadline and could only fetch a 6th round pick (up to 5th?). If we knew he was good, so did other teams but with very limited interest.

Lets not negotiate against ourselves.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Drake fits our system very well, so keeping him would be good.

Lets not forget that he was widely available at the trade deadline and could only fetch a 6th round pick (up to 5th?). If we knew he was good, so did other teams but with very limited interest.

Lets not negotiate against ourselves.

Well why would a team give more than a 6th for a half year rental on a guy who hasn’t proven he can be an every down back at the most dime a dozen position in the NFL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know. I guess for someone to prove that he can be an every down player, at least on our board, has to have about 60 or 70 games behind them, or what?

Curious.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I don't know. I guess for someone to prove that he can be an every down player, at least on our board, has to have about 60 or 70 games behind them, or what?

Curious.

Well more than 2 good games and excelling in blitz pickup would be a start. I don’t want to sign him to 5 mil a year which is what he is going to want on the potential we have seen. You can find what he has given us from a 3rd or 4th rd pick in the draft if you pick right which this team also sucks at.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Curious.
More than two would help. Maybe a single season where he ran for more than over 650 yards. Maybe more than two seasons where he just barely eclipsed 1,000 all purpose yards. I think paying this guy will end up being a mistake, unless he takes a really team friendly deal.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We underestimate the what Drake May perceive as a good fit. People here are saying don’t sign him because we can get someone just as good in the 3rd or 4th round. Really? Maybe or maybe not.
If indeed it’s that easy then Drake won’t have that many suitors. I think we resign him.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
We underestimate the what Drake May perceive as a good fit. People here are saying don’t sign him because we can get someone just as good in the 3rd or 4th round. Really? Maybe or maybe not.
If indeed it’s that easy then Drake won’t have that many suitors. I think we resign him.

For how much?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well, Drake himself was a third rounder. David Johnson was a third rounder. Alvin Kamara - third rounder. Kareem Hunt... looking back in the past few years, there's some solid players in those rounds. You have to get a little lucky, but that's the draft for ya. Part of the issue is paying David Johnson $16 million. We can't afford to pay $20 million at the position when we have 8 starting spots that aren't filled yet for 2020.

In a different year, with less absolute needs? I'd be on board. Honestly, my fear about listening to this guy is that he's way more interested in getting paid than winning and being team first. I could really see him turning into what we're struggling with when it comes to DJ right now, that desire might not be there.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More than two would help. Maybe a single season where he ran for more than over 650 yards. Maybe more than two seasons where he just barely eclipsed 1,000 all purpose yards. I think paying this guy will end up being a mistake, unless he takes a really team friendly deal.
You’re not a risk taker at all man, smh.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You’re not a risk taker at all man, smh.
Wait, don't you give me a hard time for wanting to pay Kirk Cousins the fully guaranteed contract? I'd say that's risky.

I just like educated risk. And when signing Drake for extra money means we'll have to rely on a rookie or worse at another position where we don't have a starter, I don't want to do it. A ton of other teams in contention had the ability to acquire Drake, and didn't. He's never looked spectacular, just good in very small streaks.

I certainly don't like being risky on players or coaches who have never proven anything.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Wait, don't you give me a hard time for wanting to pay Kirk Cousins the fully guaranteed contract? I'd say that's risky.

I just like educated risk. And when signing Drake for extra money means we'll have to rely on a rookie or worse at another position where we don't have a starter, I don't want to do it. A ton of other teams in contention had the ability to acquire Drake, and didn't. He's never looked spectacular, just good in very small streaks.

I certainly don't like being risky on players or coaches who have never proven anything.

Solar, for better or worse, you are the most conservative poster on this forum and it's not even up for debate... you would make for a great fortress defender but a horrible cavalry commander lol

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'm with you on Drake, I would say 3.6 Mio $ is the point more you shouldn't pay him. He never hit 1k rushing yards in one year and that is a red flag.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Solar, for better or worse, you are the most conservative poster on this forum and it's not even up for debate... you would make for a great fortress defender but a horrible cavalry commander lol
I'm really not, though. I just don't like where this team has gone. A good risk is moving a 2nd round pick and player for a guy like Chandler Jones when we could lose him after a year and he had a weird character incident, but had shown he could produce in the league. Risky, but not a blind risk.

A dumb risk is signing a losing college head coach that just got fired from his alma mater and hoping he will suddenly be a completely different head coach for basically no reason.

In my industry, most of the "risks" that we seem to keep encouraging here are called "throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks."

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'm really not, though. I just don't like where this team has gone. A good risk is moving a 2nd round pick and player for a guy like Chandler Jones when we could lose him after a year and he had a weird character incident, but had shown he could produce in the league. Risky, but not a blind risk.

A dumb risk is signing a losing college head coach that just got fired from his alma mater and hoping he will suddenly be a completely different head coach for basically no reason.

In my industry, most of the "risks" that we seem to keep encouraging here are called "throwing **** at the wall and hoping it sticks."

This is the last time I will comment on this because people for some reason have no freaking clue about what it means to coach at a school like Texas Tech. You have to freaking recruit your talent and unlike the offense, you cannot manipulate a defense lacking talent when it's the reactionary side of the ball to stop an offense. Texas, Oklahoma, A&M is going to steal you blind on commitment day, and what they do not get a Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St. will plunder, and then you have schools like Bama which know no bounds. You have no freaking talent on the Texas Tech defense to counter much of anything. You are up against a rock, or a top talent offense with no defensive talent, in a hard place. Lastly, I know a lot of people here being a native Texan, and not one Texas Tech Alum I am familiar with which wanted them to fire Kingsbury, it was just university PR to blame a coach for the reality that their school is not a destination for top talent. But, you have to give Kingsbury credit for then being able to recognize talent at the QB position which top schools overlooked because he had to be one to find diamonds in the rough

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's easier to stomach if you have 5 rookie WR contracts and two others under a mil per year in your WR room.

Well, we have 5 receivers on rookie contracts, but only one who is a starter, and four guys that have proven nothing. The two others you're talking about, you must be reading the future, because we don't have anyone else signed on this roster for 2020.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well, we have 5 receivers on rookie contracts, but only one who is a starter, and four guys that have proven nothing. The two others you're talking about, you must be reading the future, because we don't have anyone else signed on this roster for 2020.
I still have a ton of hope for Andy, Hakeem, and Kirk. Larry retiring opens up the slot for Isabella.

Especially if Jerry Jeudy is our #1.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is the last time I will comment on this because people for some reason have no freaking idea about what it means to coach at a school like Texas Tech. You have to freaking recruit your talent and unlike the offense, you cannot manipulate a defense lacking talent when it's the reactionary side of the ball to stop an offense. Texas, Oklahoma, A&M is going to steal you blind on commitment day, and what they do not get a Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma St. will plunder, and then you have schools like Bama which know no bounds. You have no freaking talent on the Texas Tech defense to counter much of anything. You are up against a rock, or a top talent offense with no defensive talent, in a hard place. Lastly, I know a lot of people here being a native Texan, and not one Texas Tech Alum I am familiar with which wanted them to fire Kingsbury, it was just university PR to blame a coach for the reality that their school is not a destination for top talent. But you have to give Kingsbury credit for then being able to recognize talent at the QB position the top schools overlooked because he had to be one to find diamonds in the rough
Dude. All well and good. Poor Kingsbury. Cry me a river. There is no excuse for hiring a fired college head coach to be the leader of an NFL team. He couldn't get a sniff at a college program.

I don't know what else to tell you. We really don't need to talk much more about it. He has never been a winner, he is not a winner here. Feel free to give me a tremendous hard time if he takes us to the playoffs and a Super Bowl. Until he shows me literally anything different than Texas Tech (good offense and godawful defense), it doesn't matter. He also can't "recruit" here. Bad coaching on that side because he had no connections to build a staff, bad players because he can't even tell anyone what he would actually want.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I still have a ton of hope for Andy, Hakeem, and Kirk. Larry retiring opens up the slot for Isabella.

Especially if Jerry Jeudy is our #1.
The slot is Kirk's preferred position, and we have a separate thread about how Isabella hasn't ever really played in the slot, but alright. I like Kirk a lot, but the other guys mean nothing right now, and drafting a WR #1 is gonna be a pretty bad indictment about how the team and coaching staff feels about our last four picks at the position.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In other words, if the risk works out well, it was a good risk, and if not, it was a bad risk? Looking at outcomes in hindsight and ignoring the definition of "risk" is not the proper way to judge a risk in the context of when it was taken.

...dbs

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen