Kliff is developing a QB.....

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Denny Green was 26-63 as a college coach... went on to be an NFL coach with a winning record. Obviously I would prefer KK to have had a winning record in NCAA but its not everything

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-best-worst-college-football-coaches-who-went-nfl
Those college coaches had decent to very successful careers. Or spent time on a NFL staff as a successful assistant.
Kingsbury was fired at his Alma Mater. and had zero NFL coaching experience.

Comparing him to those guys is ridiculous.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You kk backers may have merit if Mike Leach, the coach Kliffy replaced, didn’t have a winning record every year but 1 while at the same school.

kk stunk at TTech and has stunk in the NFL. Shouldn’t surprise anyone.

If he wasn’t coaching the Cardinals, you’d guys would be ripping on him.
He never should’ve been hired in the first place.

Why does he get a pass and Wilkes doesn’t. They’re both terrible and the Cards have shown regression not progression under kingsbury.

KK runs the offense and the offense was better. That's all I've got.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Not to mention Leach ran a offense that was new to the Big 12 during his time.
Lol. That is possibly one of the worst arguments I’ve ever heard.

It would take all of 3 games for DCs to know what the offense is doing.

Was his offense new in his 8th year when he won the Big 12 south?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I can name a lot who didn’t their 1st year as a NFL HC.
Sure, and that’s to be expected. But we hired someone with exactly one winning season in his coaching career, who didn’t even sniff another college coaching job.

pete carroll
He won a national championship, and USC was amazing. Plus he’s been amazing in Seattle. I don’t see the comparison, besides to say he wasn’t great in his early NFL days. At least he got hired after proving he could win at some level.

Denny Green was 26-63 as a college coach... went on to be an NFL coach with a winning record. Obviously I would prefer KK to have had a winning record in NCAA but its not everything

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-best-worst-college-football-coaches-who-went-nfl
Credit to you for digging up a pretty good nugget there. Didn’t know this.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Sure, and that’s to be expected. But we hired someone with exactly one winning season in his coaching career, who didn’t even sniff another college coaching job.

He won a national championship, and USC was amazing. Plus he’s been amazing in Seattle. I don’t see the comparison, besides to say he wasn’t great in his early NFL days. At least he got hired after proving he could win at some level.

Credit to you for digging up a pretty good nugget there. Didn’t know this.
Carroll actually had a winning record in New England.

the Denny green call is a pretty good find. But that’s kind of like drafting John Skelton in the 6th round and expecting him to be successful because Tom Brady was and he was drafted in round 6.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think people put too much weight into his college record...

fun thought to kick around:
what percentage of success in NCAA football is attributed to purely X's and O's and player developement? what percentage of success in the NFL?

just ballpark guesses, I'd say NCAA is less than 50% coaching while NFL is more than 50% coaching.

I actually think Kliff is better suited for the NFL than NCAA

That makes no sense. Some coaches move all around programs and are successful everywhere they go. You have teams like Texas and Miami that look like they'll be powerhouses forever, and make some bad hires, and then sink into the sea.

I'd say that 80% of a college football program is on the coach. He's the CEO of a huge organization. I think the mistake you're making is thinking that Dabo Swinney or Nick Saban are spending a lot of time drawing up Xs and Os or in player development. They're not; they're working on recruiting, pleasing boosters, and managing their staffs.

The #1 person a college football player has contact with is the trainer, and then his position coach.

My argument for Kliff is that he's probably not a good recruiter, and definitely couldn't please the boosters at Tech, but it seems like he's a good playcaller and has a good rapport with his players. Will that be enough for him to be a successful NFL coach? I dunno; he seems smart enough to learn most everything else.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I do not think Kingsbury should be the coach developing Kyler Murray. I think Kingsbury is in over his head, and has little hold/influence on this team and roster.

Complete and total speculation, but his inexperience is something players will deal with for only so long before they tune him out.

Kingsbury got a sweet offer and opportunity and took it. I cannot blame him, but he should not be in this position.

Without a doubt Kingsbury needs to be developed as a head coach, but that is what positional and coordinator jobs in the NFL are for.

The Cardinals have a head coach that needs to develop, not only as a head coach but as a play caller and a QB that needs to be developed, thus it is the blind leading the blind right now.

Murray has the talent to be a NFL QB, but I am not sure Kingsbury has the skills to be a NFL head coach.

There is no way Kingsbury takes a demotion and stays with the team, so I think it is likely Kingsbury develops somewhere else when it is all said and done.

As for what to do now that we are here? Get an assistant head coach in name, and have hin run the show.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
This. All this.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That makes no sense. Some coaches move all around programs and are successful everywhere they go. You have teams like Texas and Miami that look like they'll be powerhouses forever, and make some bad hires, and then sink into the sea.

I'd say that 80% of a college football program is on the coach. He's the CEO of a huge organization. I think the mistake you're making is thinking that Dabo Swinney or Nick Saban are spending a lot of time drawing up Xs and Os or in player development. They're not; they're working on recruiting, pleasing boosters, and managing their staffs.

The #1 person a college football player has contact with is the trainer, and then his position coach.

My argument for Kliff is that he's probably not a good recruiter, and definitely couldn't please the boosters at Tech, but it seems like he's a good playcaller and has a good rapport with his players. Will that be enough for him to be a successful NFL coach? I dunno; he seems smart enough to learn most everything else.
The only thing I see in your post that's wrong is this. Nick Saban. He oversees most of the defense, especially the DB's. I've watched video of a whole lot of his practices at Alabama, he's out there yelling at the defense, telling them what to do. He has a lot to do with defensive player development anyways. I have no idea what Dabo does at Clemson. Nick Saban like you said, spends a great deal of time recruiting, has pictures in the recruiting room of all the players he has put in the NFL, shows them to recruits & says "that's what I can do for you". That room should be full of pictures by now lol. I think he could give 2 $#/+$ less what the boosters there think, he is God down there & does as he pleases. More like the boosters listen to him, especially when he needs something upgraded for recruiting purposes.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Carroll actually had a winning record in New England.

the Denny green call is a pretty good find. But that’s kind of like drafting John Skelton in the 6th round and expecting him to be successful because Tom Brady was and he was drafted in round 6.
Double Deuce.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson