Carson Palmer: No ‘major areas of concern’ for Cardinals’ Kyler Murray

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
His
My biggest negative so far is this:

He's not nearly as Quick or elusive as I expected. When Lamar goes..... The "Suddenness" of him is very telling. And no one catches up. When Kyler goes, he doesn't seem to have that same explosion. Or shiftiness that I was expecting.

All of the pocket stuff, sack stuff, and sliding stuff can be corrected with experience, and reps.

The other stuff, although still very above average, hasn't been the total dominance that one could expect when looking at such a comprehensive spider chart. #DidYouSeeWhatIDidThere?

It’s mental right now. He may have lost a step or a little bit of burst due to added lbs but being uncomfortable can make elite athletes look uncoordinated and less athletic. To me he just looks rattled a bit. Maybe we see some designed drop back and runs up the middle to get him in the groove.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Idk, he looked pretty quick here.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Who’s getting by the CB here outside of Lamar?

Now the tweet is a bit ironic since Dak's running from college hasn't exactly translated in the NFL. He's a solid runner, but not as explosive as he was before.

However, the one thing I do wonder is Kyler's choppy steps running style. Its great in space. However, in closed areas it does seem like he can be tracked down. Usually because it takes him getting to his 3rd step before he truly separates.

As I stated in another thread its the stride length/stride frequency thing. Kyler is about as fast as Lamar. However, Lamar's stride length allows for him to pull away from defenders. Kyler;s faster than Wilson..however Wilson can stride out of situations.

I think as Kyler gets comfortable with NFL defenses he'll figure out when he can dip out.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His

It’s mental right now. He may have lost a step or a little bit of burst due to added lbs but being uncomfortable can make elite athletes look uncoordinated and less athletic. To me he just looks rattled a bit. Maybe we see some designed drop back and runs up the middle to get him in the groove.
His 3 longest runs at OU came from QB draws. So maybe.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now the tweet is a bit ironic since Dak's running from college hasn't exactly translated in the NFL. He's a solid runner, but not as explosive as he was before.

However, the one thing I do wonder is Kyler's choppy steps running style. Its great in space. However, in closed areas it does seem like he can be tracked down. Usually because it takes him getting to his 3rd step before he truly separates.

As I stated in another thread its the stride length/stride frequency thing. Kyler is about as fast as Lamar. However, Lamar's stride length allows for him to pull away from defenders. Kyler;s faster than Wilson..however Wilson can stride out of situations.

I think as Kyler gets comfortable with NFL defenses he'll figure out when he can dip out.
Agreed. I see his choppy steps as a huge benefit when he figures out the NFL rush a little better as time passes and he learns his angles a little better. He just gets a little nervous looking with em right now when he gets blitzed so it will take a little more time obviously.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Has anyone posted that KM is 3rd in the league right now in attempts... only behind Wentz and Rodgers, who just played on Thursday...meaning by sunday KM will be 1st in the league in attempts. KK is setting this offense/KM up for failure trying to constantly run a 2 minute offense with no threat of the run.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Has anyone posted that KM is 3rd in the league right now in attempts... only behind Wentz and Rodgers, who just played on Thursday...meaning by sunday KM will be 1st in the league in attempts. KK is setting this offense/KM up for failure trying to constantly run a 2 minute offense with no threat of the run.
Has nothing to do with 2 minute offense and everything to do with not being able to run the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yea before Thurs's game he was 1st in attempts and 11th in yards (probably would have been top 6 if not for the Kirk and Sherfield drops)

The thing is we still lack wrs that can get YAC yards. Thats critical in offenses like this. Yea Byrd's made a lot of catches, but for a guy as fast as he is he gets tracked down too easily. There's so much dink and dunk that you hope for mistakes and opportunities. Mistakes (like how the corner jumped the short route..leaving Sherfield open.)

However, who is the guy that can turn a 5 yard pass into 50 yards? Kirk is about the closest guy and again I think he's more savvy than explosive.

We really need Isabella to pan out..

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
However, who is the guy that can turn a 5 yard pass into 50 yards? Kirk is about the closest guy and again I think he's more savvy than explosive.

We really need Isabella to pan out..
If the offense is predicated on receivers taking screens to the house, Kingsbury won't be in the league long and hopefully back at USC.

This isn't the Big XII with defenders studying for their business management degrees. These are professionals that will make open field tackles, and also have a good chance to strip the ball.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with 2 minute offense and everything to do with not being able to run the ball.

I think teams are still loading up to stop the run, and forcing Kyler to beat him with his arm and a bunch of bad receivers. It’s a good strategy.

look when the Cards to go 4 WR balanced sets; they’re still dropping a safety in the box.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the offense is predicated on receivers taking screens to the house, Kingsbury won't be in the league long and hopefully back at USC.

This isn't the Big XII with defenders studying for their business management degrees. These are professionals that will make open field tackles, and also have a good chance to strip the ball.
Not every play needs to be broke for 50 yards. However, THE THREAT to take it 50 yards changes how defenses defend the offense.

Its not about making the big play, but being capable of making the big play. The NFL is about tendency and responsibility. You gotta force defenses to do what they aren't supposed to do.

Its what makes the Chiefs, Saints, Eagles so dangerous. Its why they have open guys because teams fear someone breaking free.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest negative so far is this:

He's not nearly as Quick or elusive as I expected. When Lamar goes..... The "Suddenness" of him is very telling. And no one catches up. When Kyler goes, he doesn't seem to have that same explosion. Or shiftiness that I was expecting.

All of the pocket stuff, sack stuff, and sliding stuff can be corrected with experience, and reps.

The other stuff, although still very above average, hasn't been the total dominance that one could expect when looking at such a comprehensive spider chart. #DidYouSeeWhatIDidThere?

totally agree here, but I'm wondering if this is really a negative or if people just wayyyyyyy overhyped that aspect of his game. There were some on the board who REALLY pushed his "once in a lifetime" athleticism as the thing that made him truly special... a Mike Vick with pinpoint accuracy. Like you, once the games started, I didn't and haven't seen that quick twitch blow you away speed and wiggle that was promised. But maybe it was never really there in the first place and people over-emphasized what they saw on the field at OU against lesser competition. So while I'm a little bummed to see he doesn't quite have that superman speed, I'm not really down on him there. I DO see an actual QB back there... one who has to learn not to Kevin Kolb it and immediately turn and run backwards with pressure... one who has to get better pocket presence and knowing when to step up in it. But considering the O-line and lack of weapons he has, I see a TON of potential in him as a pure passer and while he doesn't have superman speed, he is VERY quick and can make plays with his feet.

all that is to say, I'm pretty stoked about the future of Murray as a QB, and I know he's got some warts to still work on. Will be really interesting to see how he bounces back this week from a truly terrible 4th quarter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think teams are still loading up to stop the run, and forcing Kyler to beat him with his arm and a bunch of bad receivers. It’s a good strategy.

look when the Cards to go 4 WR balanced sets; they’re still dropping a safety in the box.

Yep.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
totally agree here, but I'm wondering if this is really a negative or if people just wayyyyyyy overhyped that aspect of his game. There were some on the board who REALLY pushed his "once in a lifetime" athleticism as the thing that made him truly special... a Mike Vick with pinpoint accuracy. Like you, once the games started, I didn't and haven't seen that quick twitch blow you away speed and wiggle that was promised. But maybe it was never really there in the first place and people over-emphasized what they saw on the field at OU against lesser competition. So while I'm a little bummed to see he doesn't quite have that superman speed, I'm not really down on him there. I DO see an actual QB back there... one who has to learn not to Kevin Kolb it and immediately turn and run backwards with pressure... one who has to get better pocket presence and knowing when to step up in it. But considering the O-line and lack of weapons he has, I see a TON of potential in him as a pure passer and while he doesn't have superman speed, he is VERY quick and can make plays with his feet.

all that is to say, I'm pretty stoked about the future of Murray as a QB, and I know he's got some warts to still work on. Will be really interesting to see how he bounces back this week from a truly terrible 4th quarter.

Did you look at that run against the Panthers that's posted in this thread. That's ridiculous speed. He gets the corner on a DB with ease on that run.

There is tape that SHOWS he has that speed. With that in mind, it's obviously mental.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I don’t know if any of you listen to the tv broadcast but in the ravens game they mentioned how kyler said to them he doesn’t want to be a running QB. He said he would prefer to be known as a pocket QB. He was this way at OU Riley had to beg him to use his legs. He really doesn’t want to do it like a Lamar or josh Allen do.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don’t know if any of you listen to the tv broadcast but in the ravens game they mentioned how kyler said to them he doesn’t want to be a running QB. He said he would prefer to be known as a pocket QB. He was this way at OU Riley had to beg him to use his legs. He really doesn’t want to do it like a Lamar or josh Allen do.

Lamar said this week that he hates running the ball. As to Kyler I really don't mind if he doesn't want to run as long as he is willing to take it when the defense allows it. I think he just doesn't want to be known as a running QB, doesn't mean he won't gash the defense if they leave him an open lane.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is a fair post. I would say that K1 does have the exceptional speed that we all saw at OU. What we haven't seen is the overall escapability or wiggle that Jackson & Allen possess. I really can't say that he doesn't possess it, but he hasn't shown it like Jackson or Allen has. I never really thought he had the shiftiness of Jackson, but his release is quicker & his arm is stronger & more accurate. Now, I have to admit, Allen really has surprised me. He's been more accurate than I thought he would be & has the heart of Jim Kelly. The Bills are a team to watch.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you run tentatively and are looking not to take big shots, even the fastest players dont look that fast.

Lamar Jackson is taking hits every week. Those hits add up.

I think that K1 is a very cerebral QB. He seems to be conservative, especially if that's what it takes to avoid negative plays. As his confidence level grows each week, I think we'll see him take more chances & show off more athleticism in the process.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think that K1 is a very cerebral QB. He seems to be conservative, especially if that's what it takes to avoid negative plays. As his confidence level grows each week, I think we'll see him take more chances & show off more athleticism in the process.

I have every confidence he can use that athleticism to get away and make positive plays out of negative ones. What we need to see is progression when he realizes the play is a bust, though. Rather than run out of bounds or take a sack, he needs to learn to throw the ball away.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have every confidence he can use that athleticism to get away and make positive plays out of negative ones. What we need to see is progression when he realizes the play is a bust, though. Rather than run out of bounds or take a sack, he needs to learn to throw the ball away.

We can all agree on that! Instead of running OB 3 yards behind the LOS & having it go into the books as a sack, throw the ball away. As KK has said all week, sometimes you need to accept the play is dead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson