Why is Andy Isabella not being used?

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I gotta ask WHY and Why again isn't he being used?

It's been 3 games and he's nowhere to be found...not a single catch and he's not on the field

He's by far the fastest guy the team has, you saw something in him that you drafted him in the 2nd and traded Rosen to make the move for him....yet you don't use him

You finally used him in the preseason for 1 pass and he got a touchdown.

The offense needs a bump and I honestly think he could be the safety valve for Murray

So...why isn't he being put into the game plan?

As my dad says, "pull your head out"

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
My best guess is he has some technical stuff to clean up. He has the draft pedigree and the skillset to be a part of the 4 WR offense which KK uses so much. As it should be the case with all rookies, it's wait and see. People want results immediately, but it appears Kesean Johson is the better player right now. Isabella is much faster and a better playmaker in space, so naturally a better fit for KK's offense. So if he develops over time, he should have a role. I'm not worried if Isabella doesn't contribute a lot this season, as long as he turns into a solid playmaker in year 2 or 3. Expectations in here are often unreal.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because he is not playing as well as all the receivers ahead of him in practice I am guessing

He was a 2nd round pick so I dont think expecting him to be better than out later round pics was really unrealistic

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He needs more than 2 seconds to get down the field and get separation, and that is his only specialty right now. Perhaps we not using him, because we cant even execute at what he's supposedly good at?

BleedRed

Registered
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I would imagine the release of Crabtree would open up some opportunity for him. On a side note he has been playing on special teams quite a bit although at this point he clearly wants nothing to do with contact of any kind. With that being said it's to early to rush to any judgements, which can be said for our new HC, QB, and offense. Although pretty disappointed in the season thus far I am significantly more optimistic then I was at this point last year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He'll get some PT now I expect but my guess is it's as simple as in this offense WR's have to make reads and adjust patterns. We've already seen one instance where larry and KM were not on the same page and it became a pick. Now make that an inexperienced rookie WR from a small school and they are probably concerned.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Raises a completely separate set of issues:

As a die-hard fan, I have no insight as to why Cardinal FO and coaches do what they do.

I get the need for secrecy but the communications gulf between team and fans is growing wider and wider, leaving it up to individual rooters to speculate, theorize or guess why the team does what it doess.

Can't build a loyal fan base if you don't treat us as family.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bleed Red, what or where do you get, "at this point he clearly wants nothing to do with contact of any kind."?

I did not see the Ravens game.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
The transition to the NFL isn’t as easy for every player. I’m assuming that Isabella is struggling and making mistakes throughout the week and that is what’s keeping him off of the field. It’s disappointing but not uncommon for rookies.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

"Kingsbury said the reason the Cardinals cut Crabtree was because the team wanted to make sure they get more reps for the young receivers. Isabella still has to earn more snaps, Kingsbury said."

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would imagine the release of Crabtree would open up some opportunity for him. On a side note he has been playing on special teams quite a bit although at this point he clearly wants nothing to do with contact of any kind. With that being said it's to early to rush to any judgements, which can be said for our new HC, QB, and offense. Although pretty disappointed in the season thus far I am significantly more optimistic then I was at this point last year.

This! He looks scared and over his head out there at the moment. He has a good attitude so I think he will get it at some point.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"Kingsbury said the reason the Cardinals cut Crabtree was because the team wanted to make sure they get more reps for the young receivers. Isabella still has to earn more snaps, Kingsbury said."
I don't even care the reason as long as you remove locker room cancers, that's all I care about.. I'd rather have a cohesive group of wide outs that we win less games with than one with a whole bunch of AB's. But that's just me.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the WR's were getting separation and making plays I'd have said nothing, but the reality is they ARE NOT getting space...and Andy has the speed for slants and quick routes they do in NE.
I'd at least like to see what he can do knowing the current crop of WR's has gotten the team NADA

BleedRed

Registered
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bleed Red, what or where do you get, "at this point he clearly wants nothing to do with contact of any kind."?

I did not see the Ravens game.

Against Carolina this week he was returning all the kickoffs and was playing on the punt team. There where a couple occasions on punts where he would be the first one down but appear to want someone else to engage the returner or make the tackle. He obviously lacks confidence in the physicality of the game. I would imagine that will come in time, just an observation. The one area I think he can contribute immediately would be on passes down the field. Hopefully this week we take a few shots deep, although that will depend on the offensive line allowing time for it.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really, Hollywood Brown does not exactly run great routes... I just want to see if Isabella can catch a deep route :)
Like the only opportunity he had in preseason where he was man on man and he caught it over the shoulder then shoved the defender and ran for a TD.

Yea...might be a good idea

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really, Hollywood Brown does not exactly run great routes... I just want to see if Isabella can catch a deep route :)
Like the only opportunity he had in preseason where he was man on man and he caught it over the shoulder then shoved the defender and ran for a TD.

Yea...might be a good idea

I have been very disappointed in Isabella.

Having said that...if he was playing for the Chiefs would he see the field/get reps? Absolutely. Andy Reid would have a package of plays that fit his skillset. The Ravens have Hollywood Brown on a pitch count coming back from that injury. However, its the plays he runs very well.

Is Kliff trying to make Andy into Welker, Amendola (precise route runners with a knack for getting open) when in reality he might just be a really fast guy that runs by people.

Edit: Kliff admits they botched it.

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Better question is why did Keim draft him over DK Metcalf?

Broseph, a large part of me is hoping DK flames the hell out and FAST! I sat there on draft day WITH A SEAHAWKS FAN and prayed for him to fall to us. The dude already has done more in 3 games than our diamond in the rough has in the same time. Ugh!

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In my opinion it's ball security mostly.

But it's also that his route running is pretty bad.

Based on what I saw from training camp videos and preseason, I am not very optimistic he ever works out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Better question is why did Keim draft him over DK Metcalf?

This is really a hindsight is 20/20 thing to say.

Production wise Isabella was 3 times better in college, and Metcalf was just a workout warrior. I was against drafting metcalf because 9 times out of 10 workout warriors that don't produce don't suddenly learn how to in the NFL.

Metcalf may be one of the few exceptions, but there is a reason he fell to the third round, most teams thought he was far from a sure thing.