MCU: Captain Marvel

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am old. Whenever I see or hear "Captain Marvel," this is the image that pops into my head:

You must be registered for see images attach

Are those wings? Like, part of her body, or is that clothing. Looks creepy if they're part of her.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Captain Marvel ain't near Iron Man, Thor or Cap.

She belongs in the obscure supers like Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Sub-Mariner.

I mean, come on... when you guys all saw Adventures In Babysitting, did you really have no clue who the little girl was pretending to be... or when they ran into Vincent Dinofrio with his golden locks and massive hammer as the Auto-Shop dude? If John Hughes was throwing an entire Thor storyline into one of his movies in the mid-80's, it wasn't obscure.

Iron Man maybe a little more, but I grew up around Ouchie and Brother Not Ouchie with comics stacked to the ceiling so maybe that's why I knew him. But even with that said, with all those comics, I never even heard of Captain Marvel. If I have no clue who she is living with those two comic geeks, there's no way most of the rest of the country does, thus... she needs an origin story.

Overall, I'd say growing up, the main main-stream supers were Bats, Supes, Spiderman, WW and Hulk (both of them probably more because of their TV shows than anything else) with the X-Men coming next (mostly Wolverine and Professor X and I think their prominence came mostly from a kick-ass saturday morning cartoon), then Thor, Cap and Iron Man trailing at the end. The rest were super obscure that only geeks like my brothers knew.

By the way... I'm calling my shot now. Rami Malek ends up playing either The Sub-Mariner or ends up being the new Wolverine once Marvel reboots that entire series.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Captain Marvel ain't near Iron Man, Thor or Cap.

She belongs in the obscure supers like Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Sub-Mariner.

I mean, come on... when you guys all saw Adventures In Babysitting, did you really have no clue who the little girl was pretending to be... or when they ran into Vincent Dinofrio with his golden locks and massive hammer as the Auto-Shop dude? If John Hughes was throwing an entire Thor storyline into one of his movies in the mid-80's, it wasn't obscure.

Iron Man maybe a little more, but I grew up around Ouchie and Brother Not Ouchie with comics stacked to the ceiling so maybe that's why I knew him. But even with that said, with all those comics, I never even heard of Captain Marvel. If I have no clue who she is living with those two comic geeks, there's no way most of the rest of the country does, thus... she needs an origin story.

Overall, I'd say growing up, the main main-stream supers were Bats, Supes, Spiderman, WW and Hulk (both of them probably more because of their TV shows than anything else) with the X-Men coming next (mostly Wolverine and Professor X and I think their prominence came mostly from a kick-ass saturday morning cartoon), then Thor, Cap and Iron Man trailing at the end. The rest were super obscure that only geeks like my brothers knew.

By the way... I'm calling my shot now. Rami Malek ends up playing either The Sub-Mariner or ends up being the new Wolverine once Marvel reboots that entire series.

Rami Malek as Wolverine?! I will take that bet. He is a great actor but no way he can bulk up to look like a legit Wolverine. Sub-Mariner? I actually like that.

P.S. obscure reference to Thor from that movie doesn’t mean the masses knew jack about Thor. I watched all the Stan Lee cartons growing up, X-Men, Super Friends etc. Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Black Widow....none of those characters got the playtime outside of comics like the others.

I expect movie/TV geeks to have more knowledge but the masses? I think not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the other Captain Marvel...

Monica Rambeau (born in New Orleans, Louisiana to Frank and Maria Rambeau) is a fictional character and Superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Initially known as Captain Marvel, the character joined and eventually became leader of the Avengers for a time. She later used the code names Photon, Pulsar, and beginning in 2013, Spectrum.

So, in the Captain Marvel film, Maria Rambeau is a single mom and a pilot and friend to Carol Danvers (aka Captain Marvel). Her nickname is one of her daughter's eventual super hero code names.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So is she so important/well known that she needs an origin story, or is she so obscure she needs one?

Either way, we'll see how it goes. It looks boring but with a few funny Fury bits. I hope they surprise me. DC, for once, actually set the bar high, what with WW and all.
she is the only hero that marvel comics named captain marvel.
they fought for her name....as many know,...shazam was called captain marvel a time or two.... but court battles and whatnot kept him to shazam.
captain marvel was obscure...didnt fit in anywhere...until the avengers really.
she is the answer to "who can whoop supermans ass" she is also marvels modern answer to the female lead super hero... their version of wonder woman for the film verse.

I still remember when caps origin came out. the movie kinda sucked all on its own... but as an origin it was fantastic... it was necessary...my stepdaughter had never even heard of captain america.....hell, an entire generation had never heard of captain america really....Marvel is dealing with the same thing here...nobody knows who captain marvel is. She needs an origin story...she isnt spidey, who you can just drop in with a few scenes like marvel did in the avengers verse

in the comic verse cap marvel actually changed genders a time or two...wasnt always represented as a woman... but the female stuck....in part to keep her separate from shazam

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early reviews are in. Warning the last one is behind a SPOILER TAG (NSFW) but it's my favorite so far :mrgreen::

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is may favorite but because of language put in spoiler.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ah. Yeah I’d definitely agree with that.

I’d say level of familiarity is likely something like:

Superman/Batman/spider man
Hulk/Wonder Woman (but WW only because of the Justice League cartoons when we were young)

Ah, who knows. I was trying to figure out where X-men fell and realized that with all the movies it’s impossobke for me to guess what people may have known prior to them at this point.

People my age (late thirties) knew of the X-Men from the cartoon series. I knew of them because I was into Wolverine, X-Men, and X-Force comics when I was a tween.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This was very, very meh. The first 45 minutes were just boring. The "animal" (avoiding spoilers) was the best part of it. Deus-ed the hell out of that machina at the end. Some good buddy/partner stuff, but not enough and unevenly used. None of the surprises were surprising. I hate to say it, because Marvel's usually so much better, but Wonder Women beats the PANTS off of Captain Marvel. Not that way--get your minds out of the gutter :)

I really hope they don't use Captain Marvel to deus the hell out of Infinity War's machina :(

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Captain Marvel

Release date: March 8, 2019
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Marvel Studios
Directors: Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
MPAA Rating: N/A
Screenwriters: Nicole Perlman, Meg LeFauve, Geneva Robertson-Dworet, Liz Flahive, Carly Mensch, Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck
Genre: Action, Adventure

Starring: Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Gemma Chan, Lashana Lynch, Djimon Hounsou, Lee Pace, Algenis Pérez Soto, Rune Temte, McKenna Grace, Clark Gregg, Jude Law, Annette Bening

Plot Summary: The story follows Carol Danvers as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races. Set in the 1990s, “Captain Marvel” is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This was very, very meh. The first 45 minutes were just boring. The "animal" (avoiding spoilers) was the best part of it. Deus-ed the hell out of that machina at the end. Some good buddy/partner stuff, but not enough and unevenly used. None of the surprises were surprising. I hate to say it, because Marvel's usually so much better, but Wonder Women beats the PANTS off of Captain Marvel. Not that way--get your minds out of the gutter :)

I really hope they don't use Captain Marvel to deus the hell out of Infinity War's machina :(
they are planning to use marvel to wax thanos... the last thing fury did was hit the marvel signal

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good not great. Loved the ties to the other movies and the 90’s references but can’t put it up there with the great Marvel movies.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Havent put together a list but definitely not top-10 in the MCU. Closer to Ant Man/Spider-Man/Black Panther quality.

Stout

Reaction score
What part of it was lame? You wouldn't call the most powerful character in the MCU to take on Thanos???

It is lame, not it was lame (although I think the movie was rather lame, too). It's lame that you're going to introduce a character at the 11th hour that's just a gazillion times more powerful than the rest that's going to pull everyone's asses out of the fire. Definition of lazy writing. Blame Marvel for waiting until the 11th hour to introduce the first female-led Marvel movie if you will, it's still lame.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
FWIW I saw it with my girls over the weekend and honestly was a little underwhelmed for some reason, but my Pops also wanted to see it so I took him tonight and I liked it MUCH more the second viewing.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It is lame, not it was lame (although I think the movie was rather lame, too). It's lame that you're going to introduce a character at the 11th hour that's just a gazillion times more powerful than the rest that's going to pull everyone's asses out of the fire. Definition of lazy writing. Blame Marvel for waiting until the 11th hour to introduce the first female-led Marvel movie if you will, it's still lame.
I doubt she is just going to “pull everyone’s asses out of the fire”. Thor (with his new fancy hammer) could beat Thanos on his own if that was the main concern. The main goal of Endgame is not to kill Thanos, it is to undo what Thanos has done.

Stout

Reaction score
I doubt she is just going to “pull everyone’s asses out of the fire”. Thor (with his new fancy hammer) could beat Thanos on his own if that was the main concern. The main goal of Endgame is not to kill Thanos, it is to undo what Thanos has done.

No he couldn't, not in a stand-up fight. He almost killed Thanos by suckering him, but Thanos didn't know he was coming.

If she has godlike powers and CAN'T use them to good effect, why was she granted them? She instantly became as powerful as many of the Avengers put together. It's very Johnny-come-lately to the Avengers party.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No he couldn't, not in a stand-up fight. He almost killed Thanos by suckering him, but Thanos didn't know he was coming.

If she has godlike powers and CAN'T use them to good effect, why was she granted them? She instantly became as powerful as many of the Avengers put together. It's very Johnny-come-lately to the Avengers party.
I think they are trying to somewhat follow along with the comics. If I recall there was a brief time when Marvel led the avengers

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson