Ayton’s Blocks

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton will be a good defender eventually. He is not bad man to man already and the team defense will come eventually.

At Arizona he made a huge leap in the 2nd half of the season in terms of block%.

My gripe with Ayton is that he is too respectful/shy towards NBA veterans which seems weird since he seems very outgoing. Just does not realize that he could dominate NBA veterans already.

He's almost too respectful to everyone.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Ayton will be a good defender eventually. He is not bad man to man already and the team defense will come eventually.

At Arizona he made a huge leap in the 2nd half of the season in terms of block%.

My gripe with Ayton is that he is too respectful/shy towards NBA veterans which seems weird since he seems very outgoing. Just does not realize that he could dominate NBA veterans already.
I said something similar to my wife the other night. Ayton doesn't realize that most games he is the best center on both teams by far. How soon he realizes will be the question. We all want it to be now, but it may take a bit longer than we'd like.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ayton has a really nice hook shot that is flat-out impossible to guard, especially at his height/ wingspan. He also needs to start throwing it down more. I was so happy when he dunked twice in a span of a few minutes in the last game.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

What happened to #BullySzn?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's almost too respectful to everyone.

yes, Ayton reminds me of the kid in the football movie The Blind Side who became a monster on the field after his adopted mom, played by Sandra Bullock, reminded him he needs to protect his teammates.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we drafted Ayton for his shot blocking ability, I fear we might be disappointed.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He just hasn't gotten the timing and anticipation aspects down at this point. There are a bunch of shots lately that he contests and misses the block by about a fingertip. Nights like last night where the refs call absolutely everything doesn't exactly help a young guy to feel comfortable aggressively going for blocks either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just hasn't gotten the timing and anticipation aspects down at this point. There are a bunch of shots lately that he contests and misses the block by about a fingertip. Nights like last night where the refs call absolutely everything doesn't exactly help a young guy to feel comfortable aggressively going for blocks either.

I think he can become a decent defender but I'm just not sure blocks will ever be a strength of his. He just doesn't anticipate and react the way you'd expect of him with his physical gifts.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Sure, but per-48 stats are worthless.

I suspect that you are just making a joke, but there are many people who say it and believe it.

The value of stats is highly dependent on the brain that interprets them, so speak for yourself.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect that you are just making a joke, but there are many people who say it and believe it.

The value of stats is highly dependent on the brain that interprets them, so speak for yourself.

Yeah, I don't get it. AFAIC, per 36 or per 48 is a far more reliable stat than simple per game numbers. Sure, it can be misleading for a small number of players but it's easy to identify the outliers. Per 36 loses value if a player, whether due to age, injury, foul problems etc., is limited to far less than 36 minutes. Or if the guy is a scrub who only comes in at the close of long-decided games and so on. But for the average player, starter or role player, it can be very revealing.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a joke. Certain posters on this board automatically reject per-minute stats, no matter how informative they are.

Certain people on the board thinks it’s not the be all end all BY ITSELF. Indicator for sure but not even close to the entire picture. Some people in this board like to make definitive conclusions on PER alone.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why? He is a Rookie. He is showing inconsistencies. Exactly what one would expect no?
10 blocks in 517 minutes. Rookie or not I’m sure most dominant centers have averaged better block/minute stats than that. A LOT better. This isn’t a matter of inconsistency. This is presently a matter of virtual nonexistence.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 blocks in 517 minutes. Rookie or not I’m sure most dominant centers have averaged better block/minute stats than that. A LOT better. This isn’t a matter of inconsistency. This is presently a matter of virtual nonexistence.

IMO he didn’t forget how. It’s how he is being played. He has shown glimpses and I have seen him alter a ton of shots that don’t show up on the stat sheet. Let’s face it, this coach isn’t exactly putting this roster in the best places to succeed.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
IMO he didn’t forget how. It’s how he is being played. He has shown glimpses and I have seen him alter a ton of shots that don’t show up on the stat sheet. Let’s face it, this coach isn’t exactly putting this roster in the best places to succeed.
Man I’m seeing a lot of excuses.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson