Ayton’s Blocks

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
4 in 6 games. 3 in a single game. 4 games without a single block.

Color me bewildered.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple of things: there are shots not even attempted that will not show up on a stat sheet; ive seen guys go in and think twice about putting up a shot and not even attempt, and I've seen guys miss due to his presence.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
A couple of things: there are shots not even attempted that will not show up on a stat sheet; ive seen guys go in and think twice about putting up a shot and not even attempt, and I've seen guys miss due to his presence.
Huh I’ve seen a LOT more of those guys waltz right by him for easy layups.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree. I forgot to mention that as well, if it seems like I'm back peddling that's because I am lol.

Yes, guys go in and he doesn't contest. But also he deters some shots, and those really don't show up on the stat sheet is what I'm trying to get at.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I didn't watch the whole Thunder game but it looked like Ayton tried to contest more shots, which actually led to more misses/altered shots but Noel ended up cleaning up the offensive boards with Ayton out of position.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He has turned it up since the 2nd half of the Lakers game. Though in the game against the Thunder he was close to being in foul trouble for most of that game. The real issue is that he is typically the only guy on the floor that is at all capable of protecting the rim.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's weird. The offensive side seems to come so naturally to him while on the defensive end he seems so uncertain.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's weird. The offensive side seems to come so naturally to him while on the defensive end he seems so uncertain.

See, I see his uncertainty as less of a bad thing. Defense is complicated, especially in the NBA. You have one on one defense, you have rotations, you have help defense, shot blocking from the weak side, etc. Ayton does well one on one, he understands the concept of rotations, but he really struggles with help defense and challenging shots vs. staying with his man. I think Ayton being cautious is actually Ayton being smart. I don't want him going for every possible block, risking foul trouble and leaving his man open. He needs to find a good balance, but I am OK with him being cautious.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I see his uncertainty as less of a bad thing. Defense is complicated, especially in the NBA. You have one on one defense, you have rotations, you have help defense, shot blocking from the weak side, etc. Ayton does well one on one, he understands the concept of rotations, but he really struggles with help defense and challenging shots vs. staying with his man. I think Ayton being cautious is actually Ayton being smart. I don't want him going for every possible block, risking foul trouble and leaving his man open. He needs to find a good balance, but I am OK with him being cautious.

I'm sort of here.

I'm not going to worry about the blocks just yet as Ayton does so many other good things on the court. The blocks should come with experience.

I'm thrilled he is averaging 17.5 points, 10.3 rebounds and 3.8 assists not to mention his youth.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

It was the same in college which is why I never bought into the positional excuse playing with Ristic. You can someone learn to protect the rim but it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t want to.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was the same in college which is why I never bought into the positional excuse playing with Ristic. You can someone learn to protect the rim but it doesn’t mean anything if you don’t want to.
I always felt those excuses were just bs anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have so many things to complain about but I'm surprised how much negativity is aimed at Ayton. You'd never know he's just barely 20 years old and our best performer to date, and it's not even close.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We have so many things to complain about but I'm surprised how much negativity is aimed at Ayton. You'd never know he's just barely 20 years old and our best performer to date, and it's not even close.

I’m more surprised how sensitive people are about the defensive criticism he gets. As if it equates to us calling him a bust which nobody has come close to doing.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
On my list of complaints about the Suns right now, Ayton is next to last. I may be less worried about Booker's scoring, but that's about it. maybe TJ's scoring as well.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m more surprised how sensitive people are about the defensive criticism he gets. As if it equates to us calling him a bust which nobody has come close to doing.
It was like this even before he was drafted and I think it has at least a little bit to do with him being an Arizona product. It's not just on this forum that it's been this way either.

But yeah in general, I haven't seen anyone on most of the Suns forums, Reddit or social media disregard Ayton's dominance on the offense end.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It was like this even before he was drafted and I think it has at least a little bit to do with him being an Arizona product. It's not just on this forum that it's been this way either.

But yeah in general, I haven't seen anyone on most of the Suns forums, Reddit or social media disregard Ayton's dominance on the offense end.

If he becomes a generational offensive player then you live with him being a negative player on D. Like I said before the draft, if he’s “only” Amare you take him #1 without thinking twice.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
On my list of complaints about the Suns right now, Ayton is next to last. I may be less worried about Booker's scoring, but that's about it. maybe TJ's scoring as well.
I think for me the top 10 looks something like

1. Jackson's regression
2. PG play
3. The vets being near "unplayable"
4. Booker's defensive effort
5. Ayton's rim protection
6. Bridges not getting more mins
7. Warren not getting more mins
8. James Jones/Sarver making a panic trade by overpaying
9. Suns scheme leading to way too many turnovers
10. Fastbreak defense

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, disagreeing is being "sensitive"? From my perspective, the house is falling down and a few of you are complaining about the only wall left standing. And it seems strange that people are lauding the performances of other rookies that don't play anywhere near the defense Ayton does while ripping Deandre for his defensive effort.

IMO he isn't the reason our defense is horrible. He doesn't block shots and he is confused about help-side defense but I don't buy the "lack of effort" idea at all. He has the best DBPM on the team (for players with at least 25 minutes total). If everyone else was doing their job, we'd be a pretty good defensive team even with his low block rate.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he becomes a generational offensive player then you live with him being a negative player on D. Like I said before the draft, if he’s “only” Amare you take him #1 without thinking twice.
Yeah certainly.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He has played all of 6 games and has at times looked pretty good on defense and at times pretty bad. Are we really going to already just going to assume that he will be a negative on defense?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has played all of 6 games and has at times looked pretty good on defense and at times pretty bad. Are we really going to already just going to assume that he will be a negative on defense?

I think part of the problem with this is that he has such a mature game in so many ways - it stands out that aspects of his defense are substandard. If he were a more middling player perhaps his defensive weaknesses wouldn't be in the spotlight so much.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think a lot of the time he's not even in position for a block. I am guessing about 30% of the time he is closing out on a three point shooter. That's what I have noticed about Bender too. They both can get out to the three point line to bother shooters, and the Suns evidently wan them to do that. That leaves them away from the basket for rebounds, and also possible shot blocks. The opposing teams get a lot of offensive rebounds because our bigs close out on shooters outside the lane. I guess I think the bigs should be in the paint when a shot goes up,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson