2015 1st round pick is DJ Humphries OT

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
DEN jacked Ray from us...traded up from #29. First SD last year with Attaochu and now DEN with Ray. What the hell does DEN need Ray for with Ware & Miller? Maybe to replace Ware in a couple years?

On a side note wasn't there a draft analyst who called Humphries to ARZ?
Mayock.. and I don't think he was only one

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would've rather given that pick up for Peterson since it came to that

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"This is a great pick for the Cardinals. Give general manager Steve Keim a lot of credit. He's rebuilt that offensive line. They signed Mike Iupati this offseason and have Jared Veldheer at left tackle. Humphries can start on the right side. Keep in mind who the quarterback is; Carson Palmer, when he starts the Cardinals win." -- Mike Mayock

Overview

Played in 29 career games with 19 starts. Named All-Freshman SEC in 2012 while playing in 12 contests. In 2013, he played in seven games while starting six, but missed the final five games with a sprained MCL. In 2014, played in 66.9 percent of the team's snaps, missing two games due to injury. Consensus five-star recruit from Mallard Creek High School (N.C.) where he was ranked the No. 2 prospect in the nation and No. 1 tackle by Rivals.com. Won the Anthony Munoz Award given to the nation's top high school lineman in 2011. His father, D.J., played wide receiver at Presbyterian and played in the Arena Football League. D.J. also made it into camp with the Baltimore Ravens in 2002.

Analysis

Strengths Nasty play demeanor with legitimate toughness to his game. Plays through and past the whistle. Stays cranky. Into it all game long vs. LSU's Danielle Hunter. Flexible hips and knees offer up leverage wins as run blocker. Gets down blocks secured and transitions quickly into second-level stalker with ability to mirror moving linebackers in space. As base-blocker, hustles feet into position and works to wall defender off. Has desired foot quickness combined with proper angles to be effective blocker on play side and back side on stretch plays. Gains good ground with kick slide and takes smart angles to cut off the edge. Rarely narrows base in run or pass game. Uses length to help cut off inside rush moves.

Weaknesses Too often a leaner and lunger. Can fall off balance in run game against moving targets when his feet get complacent at contact. Needs to drive feet through contact as run blocker rather than engaging in upper-body sumo wrestling. Hand placement is a mess, with hands sliding high off of targets. Uses hands to slap, push and spar rather than to snatch and sustain. Tends to lean into pass rusher at point of contact rather than shoot his punch. Leaning "punch" opens him to spin move counters back inside. Eyes trained too high on target and hands follow suit in pass protection. Offensive line coaches taking close look at his functional power to redirect rushers over the arc once they get into his edge.

Draft Projection Round 1

Sources Tell Us "He can probably come in and play right away, but I'm not quite as high on him as everyone else seems to be. I think he can be good but I don't see a Pro Bowl player." - NFL Director of Personnel

NFL Comparison D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Bottom Line An elite-level tackle when he exited the high school ranks, Humphries relies on his superior athleticism and fist-fight mentality rather than an improved skill set and steady technique. He might always have an issue with being a leaner, but his hand placement should improve with more work and coaching. When he improves in that area, he could become a solid NFL starter on the left side.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/d.j.-humphries?id=2552626

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would have liked Byron Jones there, but oh well they obviously have a plan. Need to protect Palmer better and get a running game.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Denver picked Ray just ahead of us , Rays highlights ------- Ray owning Humphries !!!!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Byron Jones was there, too.

Good God, Keim.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe you guys forgot how bad Bradley Sowell was. I didn't. He will be the LT in '15 and Veldheer will go to the right side. Quietly, we're assembling a phenomenal line. I'm not in love with the move but I'm not hating it just yet either.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Denver picked Ray just ahead of us , Rays highlights ------- Ray owning Humphries !!!!

I wanted Ray too. This one is going to sting for awhile. For as good as Keim is in managing free agency, I have been really underwhelmed by his early draft picks.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he is a RT or can play RG then it makes a ton of sense. If he isn't starting on the line then no. Have to believe they drafted him to start for Massie or cooper.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson