2015 1st round pick is DJ Humphries OT

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is some ugly revisionist history. Massie was blocking his man, as you can see below. The SS came on a blitz off the edge. Either the RB was supposed to pick him up or there was a hot read. Palmer actually did what he was supposed to and stepped up in the pocket.

Palmer getting injured was NOT Massie's fault. Cooper gave up the sack that ended Stanton's season. Maybe we should replace him.
It was empty backfield. There were five rushers and five blockers. Massie can engage the defensive end, but he has to hand him off to Fanaika and pick up the outside rusher. It's basic pass protection and Massie f'd it up.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like the discussion of wanting to build the team through the draft is increasingly hot air. Part of building a team through the draft is re-signing your players--including your middle-roster veterans like Massie.

What???

Building through the draft is about sticking to your draft board and trusting all the work you did prior to the draft. They had Humphries ranked #13 overall on their board. Even though OT wasn't the biggest need, they grabbed him because they trusted their draft board. That IMO is how you build through the draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What???

Building through the draft is about sticking to your draft board and trusting all the work you did prior to the draft. They had Humphries ranked #13 overall on their board. Even though OT wasn't the biggest need, they grabbed him because they trusted their draft board. That IMO is how you build through the draft.

That's how you draft players, but you only get 7-10 picks every draft, and you have field a 53-man roster. Either all you're picks have to work out every year, or you have to re-sign some of your guys. Since Fitz was drafted, the Cards have extended the contracts for 3 draftees.

That's a tough way to run a railroad.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It was empty backfield. There were five rushers and five blockers. Massie can engage the defensive end, but he has to hand him off to Fanaika and pick up the outside rusher. It's basic pass protection and Massie f'd it up.

No. As you can see below, the defensive end was lined up in a Wide-9 way outside Massie's outside shoulder, and Barron was lined up well outside the DE. It's physically impossible for Massie to block two guys, or to complete the handoff of the DE to the guard.

By the time Massie has moved the DE into position to potentially hand off, Palmer should be moving up in the pocket where there's plenty of room.

See below.

Attachments

• Palmer Injury play Pre-snap.jpg
    Palmer Injury play Pre-snap.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Palmer Injury Play post-snap.jpg
    Palmer Injury Play post-snap.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 127

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It seems like assumptions are being made without enough info.

It looks to me like the C slid over and the guard slid over but Massie did not. However, we don't know the line call. It could have just as easily been the G's job to drop back and pick up the outside blitzer.

Either way, I'm pretty sure they didn't draft Humphries based on this play.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It looks to me like the C slid over and the guard slid over but Massie did not. However, we don't know the line call. It could have just as easily been the G's job to drop back and pick up the outside blitzer.

At some point, I'll build the technical know-how to figure out how to convert these to animated gifs. That day is not today.

Some plays are designed to allow a free rusher. The QB's job is to account for that. Fanaika has to account for the DT lined up at his outside shoulder first; Massie has to account for the DE alinged at his outside shoulder first.

After the snap, the DT crosses the OG's face and Fanaika engages with him and hands him off to Sendlein. The DE goes straight up the field in parallel with Barron. Massie engages him and blocks him until Fanaika comes over to help out. They combo block on him, at which point Carson has enough time to move into the empty space between the guard and tackle or get rid of the ball.

Overall, I agree that we didn't draft D.J. Humphries because of this play.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

It seems to me that people are reaching in trying to blame Carson's injury on a specific player. It was essentially a non contact injury which means that the ligament was ready to give and it took just a slight awkward motion of the leg for it to give.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems to me that people are reaching in trying to blame Carson's injury on a specific player. It was essentially a non contact injury which means that the ligament was ready to give and it took just a slight awkward motion of the leg for it to give.

yes was just a matter of time,ligament was almost torn

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It makes no sense why the Bengals would not trade. Even if the Cards only offered a 4th rounder, but I suspect they may have offered more, that's still an extra pick and nobody was taking Ogbauhi(sp.) prior to 24.

It's Mike Brown. Of course it doesn't make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It makes no sense why the Bengals would not trade. Even if the Cards only offered a 4th rounder, but I suspect they may have offered more, that's still an extra pick and nobody was taking Ogbauhi(sp.) prior to 24.

nothing happens in a vacuum though

lets assume they did trade with AZ, who takes Dupree.

Its not totally unreasonable for the Bengals to imagine that the Steelers now dont see anyone at 22 who they love -- so they also move down. Bengals wanted an OT and really liked two players (per King's MMQB) -- Jake Fischer and Ogbuehi.

With two spots to go if they traded down , they considered that they may not have ended up with either-- and valued that certainty

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Is this satire or could you really not find any game film on him that was better than when he was destroyed for 3 sacks by the player taken 1 spot in front of us?

How about when he dominated the player who was taken two spots in front of us?