Which running backs stick from this season

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Wells looks like he is gone. I have not seen Williams do anything on the field because he has been hurt the whole time since he has arrived. I guess he will get a third chance due to his draft position and I hope he does well with no more setbacks. Powell is an enigma who shows flashes of awe but then screws up fundamentals like blocking and then does not see the field (though, that is something a lot of young backs have to work on and he might not get the chance because he was not a high draft pick which seems unfair). LSH should stay because he is a darn good back for his size and the fact he fared well behind this line, put into a full time role he was not built for, speaks well of him. Smith just has been around too long and like Powell lacks a high profile to get the chances needed for him to have a realistic shot, hence he is probably gone. I really like the wild card pick up of Fozzy Whitaker, but he is recovering from a major injury in college and his history of getting dinged up before that fits our current mold of damaged goods and problem at running back.

I would love to acquire Ivory in free agency but he will not be easy to acquire because you have teams like the Falcons who might unload an aging back like Turner and they certainly seen enough of Ivory in their division to entertain getting him to go along with their stable of young backs. The deal is, other than Wells build wise, is there a back we have now which fits the description of a primary back and the answer is no if one considers Williams injury concerns. We lack a bigger back we can count on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I would say your right from what they have done, but I do not see any organization not giving William's one last chance based on where he was selected and hurt in such a short period of time. I personally do not think Williams is the answer as well.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
From what little I have seen of Williams, I would say he is trending to be a major disappointment (avoiding the dreaded popular term...)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The hyphen has been the most productive -- he has to be back

Williams is in year 3 of a rookie 2nd round deal. At the very least, he is brought to camp (btw -- I heard someone say that Williams, while he was back from his knee injury, wasn't as explosive as pre injury. Curious to see what that extra year might do for his legs )

Wells is gone. I don't think he plays in the NFL next year. He's done.

Powell is also cheap, so he comes to camp.

If there is a new GM, you can bet that in addition to the above, there will be one vet brought to camp and likely one mid round draft pick as well.

Powell may not make it due to numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The hyphen has been the most productive -- he has to be back

Williams is in year 3 of a rookie 2nd round deal. At the very least, he is brought to camp (btw -- I heard someone say that Williams, while he was back from his knee injury, wasn't as explosive as pre injury. Curious to see what that extra year might do for his legs )

Wells is gone. I don't think he plays in the NFL next year. He's done.

Powell is also cheap, so he comes to camp.

If there is a new GM, you can bet that in addition to the above, there will be one vet brought to camp and likely one mid round draft pick as well.

Powell may not make it due to numbers.

That seems totally unreal in my opinion, Wells will be playing in the NFL because some team will see his past injuries as nothing major but frustrating setbacks (Gore has had at least two more major football related injuries in comparison) which they will think might not happen (believing, they can condition it out of his system some how when conditioning has nothing to do with a injury that sidelines a player for the most part). I could totally see at the very least, a team lacking a bigger back picking him up or even a late season pick up for a team whose primary back got injured.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Beanie is gone.

Ryan Williams for sure will be here

Maybe WiPo.

I think LSH is gone since he's no longer the full time KR and we have Bethel as a gunner on special teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superfuzz

Veteran
Reaction score
RW gets ONE more chance. If we could get ivory id be OK with letting powell go but i like him.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki
They spoke in Training camp, talk to LSH a couple weeks ago & mentioned no offer was made. RT @Mwanamatapa: LaRod is a UFA.

I wouldn't count on Larod being back.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I wouldn't count on Larod being back.

If Whis is not coming back or they are intent even at just replacing Graves with a more hands on player control GM, then choices as this are in flux. Such decisions are probably being put on hold and might not really reflect that they do not want LSH because 'they' who decide are not known yet.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Whis is not coming back or they are intent even at just replacing Graves with a more hands on player control GM, then choices as this are in flux. Such decisions are probably being put on hold and might not really reflect that they do not want LSH because 'they' who decide are not known yet.

Good point. And I hope the new management does give him a chance. I've always thought LSH has been utilized incorrectly here to some extent.

football karma

Reaction score
That seems totally unreal in my opinion, Wells will be playing in the NFL because some team will see his past injuries as nothing major but frustrating setbacks (Gore has had at least two more major football related injuries in comparison) which they will think might not happen (believing, they can condition it out of his system some how when conditioning has nothing to do with a injury that sidelines a player for the most part). I could totally see at the very least, a team lacking a bigger back picking him up or even a late season pick up for a team whose primary back got injured.

My thinking is that Beanie gets a training camp shot, but I don't think he makes whatever team brings him to camp. His knee is shot He just doesn't have it anymore.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
My thinking is that Beanie gets a training camp shot, but I don't think he makes whatever team brings him to camp. His knee is shot He just doesn't have it anymore.

I would not say his knee is shot, I say his nagging toe problem which I believe he endured since college is the Beanie gremlin. Dude cannot cut or keep his balance and the big toe has a lot to do with it in my opinion (along with his chicken legs that lack some power and not the knee itself being injured). I think he either stays knowing he is on the team or is simply cut because he is too high of a draft pick for an organization to say at this stage let's give him a shot in training camp.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think the new coaching staff will let them all compete as well as draft a guy. Whoever can stay heaalthy and win the job stays. Beanie is still our best RB talent wise but can he stay healthy enough to stay on the field. I do believe at least two of our backs will be gone though.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think Williams may be the only one back. I like LSH but he's very limited and would only bring him back on a team friendly deal. You can get a William Powell or Alphonso Smith anywhere and Wells is likely done.

The good thing is there is alot of good RB candidates to be had in the 3rd and 4th round of the draft. You pick one up there and 1 in free agency and the RB void is easliy filled.

The guys I like in the draft are Eddie Lacy, Robinson from Ok St, Mike Gillislee from Florida, and Andre Ellington from Clemson.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
William wills will be back, I'd love to see us bring in ivory in FA but there are a lot of good looking backs in the 3rd range in this draft. I like Montee Balls vision, he may not have off the chart measurables but his vision is top notch.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LSH could be used in a Darren Sproles type role if we had a OC with half a brain.

Wells will not be cut but will be challenged in training camp. He probably is a value cap wise but not sure he sticks based on that.

Williams will return but will alson be challenged in training camp.

The rest is up for grabs. So hard to evaluate anybody on this offense with our current deficiencies on offense.

football karma

Reaction score
LSH could be used in a Darren Sproles type role if we had a OC with half a brain.

It is pretty much what he has been used for.

That has gone by the wayside when he was pretty much the main back -- but he really has been the poor mans Sproles.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're in Big Trouble at RB

We lack a big physical presence who can move the pile for at least a half-yard or more when there's no hole. Even when healthy, Beanie wasn't all that consistent in that role, and no one else on our roster fits that profile.

And if Beanie is done as a Cardinal and Ryan Williams can't stay healthy, we're going to need 2 feature backs.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We lack a big physical presence who can move the pile for at least a half-yard or more when there's no hole. Even when healthy, Beanie wasn't all that consistent in that role, and no one else on our roster fits that profile.

And if Beanie is done as a Cardinal and Ryan Williams can't stay healthy, we're going to need 2 feature backs.

Jeff, if we don't have any offensive line to block for them it can not be a very high profile problem. I sure hope they fix the blocking problem before they worry about rb.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Williams has been hurt by two freak injuries, that neither could be attributed to be 'injury prone'...Beanie can go... good riddens, Smith has never proven anything and Powell has show enough flashes to be given a shot...Howlings would be a good keeper as long as his role is properly defined

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Williams has been hurt by two freak injuries, that neither could be attributed to be 'injury prone'
:thud:.

That's followed by good riddance to Beanie, I'm assuming because he's injury prone. Unbelievable, smh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson