OT-Why Isn't The Lambeau Leap Excessive Celebration?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks to me that the Packers get the benefit of a lot of penalty calls. In fact, last game against the Bears, the Pack didn't commit one penalty. I find it hard to believe that in a 60 minute football game not one penalty was committed by one team, especially a team that throws a lot like the Packers. Also, why isn't the Lambeau Leap considered excessive celebration?

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah.. I never quite understood how "going to the ground" as part of your celebration, was worse than launching yourself into a pile of people in the endzone.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know...maybe because it's not on the field?

Either way, I think it shouldn't be a penalty. The nfl has gone overboard with these calls.

Jmho

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Either way, I think it shouldn't be a penalty. The nfl has gone overboard with these calls.

Jmho

right up until the players helmet shatters some kids teeth and everybody gets sued.......

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Rodgers does it and a fan hits him in the head, is that a 15 yard penalty on the Packers for a blow to the head of a QB?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Jmho

I agree. I think it's because it's not in the field of play. Remember the Icky Shuffle? It got banned on the field, but Woods would just go to the sideline and do it for the fans...Never a flag, then.

Personally, I think most of the celebrations are just stupid. Just act like you've done it before and will do it again, and give the ref the ball back.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think it's because it's not in the field of play. Remember the Icky Shuffle? It got banned on the field, but Woods would just go to the sideline and do it for the fans...Never a flag, then.

Personally, I think most of the celebrations are just stupid. Just act like you've done it before and will do it again, and give the ref the ball back.

Un-officially known as the Larry Fitzgerald TD celebration! :)

No way. I miss the old celebrations. The butch Johnson guns.. the skins circle in the endzone etc.. very entertaining and fun to watch.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Un-officially known as the Larry Fitzgerald TD celebration! :)

I was watching a televised high school football game a few weeks ago and after a TD the announcer said something like, "And he tosses the ball to the ref a-la Larry Fitzgerald."

That made me smile.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way. I miss the old celebrations. The butch Johnson guns.. the skins circle in the endzone etc.. very entertaining and fun to watch.

Hell yeah Billy White Shoes Johnson etc.

My take has always been if you don't want the guy to celebrate, don't let him score.

I think some of the stuff went way too far with the TO and Chad Johnson stuff and hiding things in the goal post pad and that nonsense. But for just celebrating and dancing after a TD I love that stuff.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
from what I understand, any pre planned celebration is a penalty..like Rodger's stupid belt routine. Under the current interpretation, that is a flag. The leap thing takes place off the field of play but if it was any other team, the players would get fined for attempting it and would get a call from the NFL to stop

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I believe that if your celebration does not involve other players, is not in the face of an opponent and does not slow the game down, it is allowed. As soon as a second player is involved it is excessive.

Rodgers belt move is over fast enough not to delay the game, and launching, by yourself, into the crowd neither delays the game nor involves multiple players.

By my understanding, if opponents would just stand in front of Rodgers when he did his belt move, it would be taunting. I'd coach that.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Jmho

I guess someone needs to test that theory.. Run to the back of the endzone and take out a sharpie for autographs maybe?

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe that if your celebration does not involve other players, is not in the face of an opponent and does not slow the game down, it is allowed. As soon as a second player is involved it is excessive.

Rodgers belt move is over fast enough not to delay the game, and launching, by yourself, into the crowd neither delays the game nor involves multiple players.

By my understanding, if opponents would just stand in front of Rodgers when he did his belt move, it would be taunting. I'd coach that.
So what you're saying is that they can attempt the extra point with the guy in the middle of the fans in the endzone?

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Jmho
I agree, however, it is the rules and yet some rules are enforced and some are not. I don't mind endzone celebrations but I agree they got out of hand. Like the 'changing the baby' or 'cpr on the ball' celebration. Stupid. Icky Shuffle was kind of cool as was Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson's dance and of course the Redskins Fun Bunch. The USFL Philly Stars had a cool one as well.

WickedKoolFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm certain I've seen plenty of other teams do a similar Lambeau (sp) leap. From the rules that were explained, if more than one player joins in they'll get flagged.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson