Suits (USA)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pilot for the new lawyer series Suits aired tonight on USA. Best 1st episode for a lawyer show since Boston Legal IMO. Solid cast and measures up to the other great shows on USA. Worth watching especially if you like a little humor with your drama.

Steve

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I liked it but the idea that the guy who knows everything, or can know everything, knows nothing about law even though he has apparently read law book and that the "best" closer in the city needs help is far-fetching for them to come together.

I will give it a few more episodes. Right now Zack Morris' show on TNT is the better summer law show IMO.

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it but the idea that the guy who knows everything, or can know everything, knows nothing about law even though he has apparently read law book and that the "best" closer in the city needs help is far-fetching for them to come together.

I will give it a few more episodes. Right now Zack Morris' show on TNT is the better summer law show IMO.

In the pilot episode, the "closer" is promoted to partner and conditional with that promotion is that he hire and help groom an assistant. Also, I have no trouble at all with the the younger guy having problems in the real world. The kid is supposed to know the law from a book standpoint only. He can recite precedent and statute after statute but without real life experience he has no idea how to apply that knowledge.

I'm not sure what other show you're talking about as I'm not familiar with Zack Morris. The only new lawyer show I'm familiar with is Franklin & Bash, I like that one also but through the pilot of each series, I prefer Suits.

Steve

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Real world problems for the kid I expect, but there was a handful of procedural stuff he did not know and had to have the hot chick research for him. After they made sure to have the scene where he knew the law cold. Kinda weak IMO.

Franklin and Bash is that show and Zack Morris is the taller guy (his character from Saved by the Bell).

OP
OP
A

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real world problems for the kid I expect, but there was a handful of procedural stuff he did not know and had to have the hot chick research for him. After they made sure to have the scene where he knew the law cold. Kinda weak IMO.

Franklin and Bash is that show and Zack Morris is the taller guy (his character from Saved by the Bell).

That explains my lack of awareness on the name. Fortunately, I'm from an older generation that gets to look down our noses on the poor kids that had to grow up with that junk.:).

As for the procedural stuff, I think the kid memorized the law books so he could take the test for someone else and I'm not sure that's the kind of stuff you need to know to pass the Bar exam. I think it's more the kind of stuff you learn while clerking but my entire education regarding lawyers and the law comes straight from TV, films and Grisham novels so I could be wrong.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the pilot episode, the "closer" is promoted to partner and conditional with that promotion is that he hire and help groom an assistant. Also, I have no trouble at all with the the younger guy having problems in the real world. The kid is supposed to know the law from a book standpoint only. He can recite precedent and statute after statute but without real life experience he has no idea how to apply that knowledge.

this is the central problem with the conceit of this show... if he could pass the bar, then he ABSOLUTELY has an idea to apply the knowledge he's learned because that's what EVERY test in law school and the bar is about. it's ALL about applying what you've learned to hypothetical situations. if he could do that on the bar, he should be able to do it anywhere.

edit: that being said... the idea of Good Will Hunting becoming a lawyer is pretty out there on it's own and if you're willing to buy that concept, the above shouldn't really be that much of a concern.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like nearly all of the shows on USA. Great track record with making entertainment that people want to see.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this show. Just started up again last week; it's already one of my favorites of the summer.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That was about as good as a season premier can get. Love this show.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone else still watch this? Great show imo.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Things are getting heated this season...no more Donna for Harvey!

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I've been watching it on Prime the last few weeks. I only started watching because I was curious about Megan Markle (had never heard of her until she got engaged).

Solid pilot - it quickly grew on me so two :thumbup:

I'm halfway thru season 4 but I'm not liking that Harvey and Mike are now adversaries. They work so much better being on the same team :(

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I watched the first 6 seasons but then tapped out. I liked the show at first but it started gettting super redundant for me.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I watched the first 6 seasons but then tapped out. I liked the show at first but it started gettting super redundant for me.
I watched the last several seasons (didn't get into it from the very beginning), but with the ending of last season and the changes coming next season, I think I am done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I loved this show before I realized how ridiculous it was. That’s the best way to watch a show though.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I've been watching it on Prime the last few weeks. I only started watching because I was curious about Megan Markle (had never heard of her until she got engaged).

Solid pilot - it quickly grew on me so two :thumbup:

I'm halfway thru season 4 but I'm not liking that Harvey and Mike are now adversaries. They work so much better being on the same team :(

I just got to this spot in the series. Definitely took a turn for the worse here. Mike is pretty unlikable right now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another show I never watched. With this one now I am wondering why. It's fantastic.