ASU Baseball 2023

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well ASU tried really hard to gag this away in the ninth but the win the game and stay alive. Devils need USC to win the next game

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well USC lost so the Devils are out of the PAC tournament. They have nobody to blame but themselves but their postseason fate is now in the hands of the tournament committee. Selection show, I believe, is Sunday

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like ASU has a solid chance for an at-large bid.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like ASU has a solid chance for an at-large bid.

I think they do eke in but their fate is still unknown. What hurts is they controlled so much of their destiny a month ago before crapping themselves. I hope yesterday was a sign the offense is out of its funk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they do eke in but their fate is still unknown. What hurts is they controlled so much of their destiny a month ago before crapping themselves. I hope yesterday was a sign the offense is out of its funk

Yeah, I remember when the Sun Devils were in 1st place in the conference.

Next season may be a make-or-break season for Willie Bloomquist.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember when the Sun Devils were in 1st place in the conference.

Next season may be a make-or-break season for Willie Bloomquist.
Unless something crazy happens Willie will probably get 5 years. Next year will be the midpoint of that and he looks to have a loaded offense coming back, depending on transfer portal action. Can he improve the quality of pitching so when the offense slumps they can survive?

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just saw a tournament field projection and it has ASU as one of the last four into the field and projected them to the Nashville regional.

It has UofA in first four out which surprised me a little after their run to the tournament championship game

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A problem for any team on the last four in bubble like ASU probably is:

Tulane pulls the upset in the AAC championship and gets an automatic bid with a 19-40 record. They beat a really good East Carolina team who should take an at large spot which then peels one away from the bubble

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NCAA Committee chair on selection of Arizona over ASU.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not shocking but disappointing for sure. Fact is, Arizona is coming in hot and ASU has struggled for the last month.

In the end, ASU has nobody to blame but themselves. While the the team was better this season than last, I think it is fair to call this season a disappointment. The floor for a program like ASU should be sneaking into the tournament field. Honestly it should be a foregone conclusion they make it every year.

Now, what happens with the transfer portal will be the story. I expect Will Rogers to be gone. I wonder if there will be any surprise transfers

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RPI 8 points higher. Karpman, per usual, making something out of nothing.
Bottom line is the both ASU and UA put themselves in a position where they had to sweat it out, and be among the last teams is considered.

ASU, UA, and USC should be automatics for the tournament basically every year - and in most years be contending as a host.

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RPI 8 points higher. Karpman, per usual, making something out of nothing.
My guess is if the roles were reversed you’d probably be singing a different tune. Simple fact, ASU has nobody to blame but themselves. Late season swoon really hurt them in the eyes of the committee.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
My guess is if the roles were reversed you’d probably be singing a different tune. Simple fact, ASU has nobody to blame but themselves. Late season swoon really hurt them in the eyes of the committee.

Nope. RPI is a huge deal for the baseball committee, so if ASU was a spot ahead, I wouldn’t say anything. 7 is pretty considerable

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bottom line is the both ASU and UA put themselves in a position where they had to sweat it out, and be among the last teams is considered.

ASU, UA, and USC should be automatics for the tournament basically every year - and in most years be contending as a host.
Unless UofA can find some pitchers worth a damn, that thinking is very questionable

OP
OP
AZCB34

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tough offseason so far.

6 pitchers drafted including three key components out of the bullpen and the most consistent starter

Ethan Long entered portal and then chose to sign a UDFA deal with Padres

A couple of high level JUCO pitchers who had committed to ASU were drafted fairly high and will likely not be making it to campus.

Today is last day to enter transfer portal and starting SS Luke Hill entered today and he will certainly end up at LSU. Devils flipped him from LSU to begin with and I think he is from Baton Rouge

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is going to be tough to compete financially with the SEC in baseball. Times have changed since the 1970s and 1980s, for sure. This may not have been the key attraction for Hill, though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose