Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a documentary on, I think it was the Niners, but anyway, it was a sports franchise that is historically always one of the top teams. They were talking about their front office hires, and saying they already found the successor to the guy they were firing BEFORE they let the fired person go! I think that separates the good franchises from the bad. They are always looking.

That was one thing that impressed me about the new GM for the cards. He was already looking at coaching candidates BEFORE he even got his first GM job with the Cards. He was making contacts and interviewing guys before he even had a job.

The Cardinals GM didn't handle it well, as they had to swap third round picks with the Eagles for alleged tampering.

Let's hope the Suns do better.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals GM didn't handle it well, as they had to swap third round picks with the Eagles for alleged tampering.

Let's hope the Suns do better.

But we have all those extra draft picks to pay for the tampering compensation, right?

;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't we draft that dude back in the day? I think I delivered a pizza to him at the Biltmore when I was a kid.
Anyway to the point FTG.
Yes, we drafted him and before that, he was supposed to be part of UA's best draft class ever but couldn't qualify. No big loss, the Cats won their only championship that season.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want them taking all the Suns second round picks as well, or whatever other punishment they can muster.

Yep, I agree. I was being sarcastic. Ty Lue sounds wonderful, but not sure how you pull that off without giving up more draft picks, and we have already lost a ton of those already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I agree. I was being sarcastic. Ty Lue sounds wonderful, but not sure how you pull that off without giving up more draft picks, and we have already lost a ton of those already.

Yes, I understood.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I saw this somewhere: Chris Paul (3) + Jock Landale (11) + DeAndre Ayton (22) = 36

Devin Booker showing support for his teammates he doesn’t want to be traded.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I saw this somewhere: Chris Paul (3) + Jock Landale (11) + DeAndre Ayton (22) = 36

For all the speculating I'm surprised no one mentioned he's guaranteed $36 million next season. That seemed to be a popular theory I saw around social media.
When did Booker decide to turn his social media accounts into The Davinci Code?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo confirmed that the entire Jae Crowder incident was a Monty creation. He said Monty played favorites on the team (we all know....see rotations that didn't make sense...force feeding guys not playing well while others sat on the bench). The team was fully aware that Monty treated certain guys different. Sounds like things were not as harmonious with the players and Monty as publicly perceived. IMO, his firing is making more sense. This wasn't just about collapses the past 3 seasons in the playoffs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice but maybe it's the number of minutes he would like should the Suns get a bench.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo confirmed that the entire Jae Crowder incident was a Monty creation. He said Monty played favorites on the team (we all know....see rotations that didn't make sense...force feeding guys not playing well while others sat on the bench). The team was fully aware that Monty treated certain guys different. Sounds like things were not as harmonious with the players and Monty as publicly perceived. IMO, his firing is making more sense. This wasn't just about collapses the past 3 seasons in the playoffs.

I don’t understand how guys don’t see it at this point.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Every coach plays favorites - it's called a starting line up

Crowder was moved to the bench so the Suns could start and develop Cam Johnson - who they had more invested in and who had a higher ceiling

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every coach plays favorites - it's called a starting line up

Crowder was moved to the bench so the Suns could start and develop Cam Johnson - who they had more invested in and who had a higher ceiling
I noticed you removed the hostile "genius" remark. Not sure why you are on me about this. It wasn't my report. Gambo reported it. He is about as accurate as they come so I will take his word for it. Second, no it's not just called a starting lineup. You must have missed the part about force feeding guys that were not playing well. If it was simply about moving Cam J into the starting lineup Crowder would have come off the bench and no problem. Crowder was asked to stay home. Big difference.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean this as an "I told you so" but a couple of us have talked about Monty's history of personnel clashes in his pre-Suns days. And I've never bought the "nice guy" reputation either. He's an autocrat even though he knows the right things to say when he's holding the microphone. If you're his kind of people, you'll love him but otherwise, you'll feel like an outsider.

I don't know how much our collapses and disappointments were on him but we all saw him ignoring players that could help even when the need was great. All you have to do is look at our winning streak when Frank was playing minutes due to injuries or when Jalen Smith was tearing it up when Monty was out with Covid. Both of those guys were invisible (or mis-used) when Monty returned.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mean this as an "I told you so" but a couple of us have talked about Monty's history of personnel clashes in his pre-Suns days. And I've never bought the "nice guy" reputation either. He's an autocrat even though he knows the right things to say when he's holding the microphone. If you're his kind of people, you'll love him but otherwise, you'll feel like an outsider.

I don't know how much our collapses and disappointments were on him but we all saw him ignoring players that could help even when the need was great. All you have to do is look at our winning streak when Frank was playing minutes due to injuries or when Jalen Smith was tearing it up when Monty was out with Covid. Both of those guys were invisible (or mis-used) when Monty returned.
The cracks in the armor were there. His repeated issues with Ayton, word it didn't like coaching guys like McGee, Crowder.....there were signs with us as as you stated. Then top it off with forced feeding guys that were not playing well? That makes sense.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I caught it. Going to ignore childish grudges. Many of us on here disagree and we are cool 10 minutes later.
Having an emotional reaction is very human, we all do it even though we know better. I don't know about the rest of you but I have gone back into my posts thousands of times and edited out the stuff I wanted to say but know I'll regret once I've calmed down. So I'm in favor of self-editing your comments a few minutes after you're posted them.