Playoffs: Suns @ Nuggets Tuesday game thread 5-9-2023 - Game 5

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're still going to be above it... and I expect us to use the MLE to try and bring in more talent.
I just looked it up. We are going to have a mere days to use it. The new CBA kicks in July 1st and free agency begins the day after the finals. We only have until July 1st before we lose the MLE because we will be over the 2nd apron (169M) at $207M.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul is partially guaranteed in the 2023-2024 (15.8 M). He is non-guaranteed in the 2024-2025 season. It Looks like Shamet is fully guaranteed next season but non-guaranteed for the 2024-205 season as well. It's tad more palatable but becomes more likely after next season unless it happens to align with some team shedding salary two years down the road. Not impossible.

I don't believe the Suns stick with Durant beyond next season if he doesn't get it done. So, potentially you could shed Paul, Shamet and Durant salaries in the same year. I honestly think the Suns would be moving Ayton regardless of the Durant trade now that the new CBA is looming. That's 33 million dollars were of cap space to make changes.

So are you willing to blow it up after two seasons with Durant? That 4 year salary stays on the books.

And do you still think Durant will have more trade value this summer?

The Suns lost a ton of talent and draft picks. It takes years to start over.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So are you willing to blow it up after two seasons with Durant? That 4 year salary stays on the books.

And do you still think Durant will have more trade value this summer?

The Suns lost a ton of talent and draft picks. It takes years to start over.
I didn't say they cut him. I think they move him. They could move him for expiring contracts or younger players. With his numbers? Yes. Even with a KD not playing up to his standards is still better than a vast majority of the NBA. There are so many scenarios that could come into play with Shamet, Ayton and Durant's contracts.

I never thought this was anything other than a 2 to 3 year tops gamble anyway (as long as the Suns feel there is a window).

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It helps that they already had LeBron and AD already on their roster. That's not even remotely the same thing.

I don't understand your argument here.
At this point in everyone's careers, I'll take Book and KD over LeBron and AD. I think most NPS players would make the same choice. What am I missing?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand your argument here.
At this point in everyone's careers, I'll take Book and KD over LeBron and AD. I think most NPS players would make the same choice. What am I missing?
I mean their baseline was LeBron and AD before they remade the roster at the deadline plus they had Kyrie to dangle to other teams. It's easier to add to that baseline than ours which was essentially Booker.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I just hope whatever we do this off season, it isn't James Jones making the decisions. I think it's not impossible for someone to get the franchise out from behind the eight ball in terms of personnel, but that someone definitely is not going to be James Jones.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say they cut him. I think they move him. They could move him for expiring contracts or younger players. With his numbers? Yes. Even with a KD not playing up to his standards is still better than a vast majority of the NBA. There are so many scenarios that could come into play with Shamet, Ayton and Durant's contracts.

I never thought this was anything other than a 2 to 3 year tops gamble anyway (as long as the Suns feel there is a window).

I think you overestimate Durant's value. I didn't say cut him either. He on the books averaging nearly $50 million a season for four seasons.

The thing is, in other trades, the Suns can't trade first round draft picks until draft day so a lot of trades that require sweeteners, are hard to complete.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you overestimate Durant's value. I didn't say cut him either. He on the books averaging nearly $50 million a season for four seasons.

The thing is, in other trades, the Suns can't trade first round draft picks until draft day so a lot of trades that require sweeteners, are hard to complete.
I think you are underestimating the number of teams wanting a title.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating the number of teams wanting a title.

I hope so. I want to see the Suns trade Durant this summer and get more in return than they gave up.

If it happens, I want to be first in line to congratulate you.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope so. I want to see the Suns trade Durant this summer and get more in return than they gave up.

If it happens, I want to be first in line to congratulate you.
I never said anything about trading him this summer but if it happens I will return the favor and congratulate you for being correct.;)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said anything about trading him this summer but if it happens I will return the favor and congratulate you for being correct.;)

I thought you said Durant would have more trade value this summer if the Suns had waited, so that was your reasoning why they needed to make the trade now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who said anything about a guarantee? Having a chance is better than no chance at all.

Again, youre overestimating his value. He'll be 37 years old then. He's not going to push a team over the hump. He's 2 years younger and hasn't done that for us now. So your claims that other teams will want to win a title don't really point towards taking on KD's deal and giving up assets to do so.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, youre overestimating his value. He'll be 37 years old then. He's not going to push a team over the hump. He's 2 years younger and hasn't done that for us now. So your claims that other teams will want to win a title don't really point towards taking on KD's deal and giving up assets to do so.
If he is putting up similar numbers on the right team he certainly can. We are not likely to get the same haul but acting like he still doesn’t have real value is hilarious.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you said Durant would have more trade value this summer if the Suns had waited, so that was your reasoning why they needed to make the trade now.
When did I say that? The only thing I recall saying is that after the season there might have been a bigger bidding war depending on the outcome of the playoffs or where teams are with salary. That was also before the CBA announcement.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he is putting up similar numbers on the right team he certainly can. We are not likely to get the same haul but acting like he still doesn’t have real value is hilarious.

Acting like an injury plagued star making $50m+ a year will have high value at 37 years old is hilarious. Being leery of our future riding on him or his trade value in 2 years is common sense. Literally no one that old has brought back half of what we paid for him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose