Peter King: Arizona Owns 2024

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
there are more factors than just passer rating. it could well be a good move to grab a lesser passer that has better leadership and work ethic... the "IT" factor is hard to define

Yeah nothing says "it" factor like painting "F * * * Utah" on your fingernails for the big championship game. That's top shelf leadership. haha :) But if we're being completely fair, by all other accounts he's a really good kid.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah nothing says "it" factor like painting "F * * * Utah" on your fingernails for the big championship game. That's top shelf leadership. haha :) But if we're being completely fair, by all other accounts he's a really good kid.
Yeah, i dont know...and honestly cant really say regarding kyler other than what i have observed...
But im sure there will be some highly paid people scrutinizing every aspect over the next 11 months.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah the Caleb Williams mania is starting to get a little out of control. He'll probably be a starting QB, but his his passer rating with QB whisperer Riley and in Riley's QB friendly system was pedestrian compared to similar QBs Murray, Tugovailoa and Hurts.

1. Williams (Oklahoma) 2021 = 169.6
1. Williams (USC) 2022 = 168.5

2. Murray 2018 = 199.2

3. Tugovaloa 2018 = 199.4
3. Tugovailoa 2019 = 206.9

4. Hurts 2018 (Alabama) = 196.7
4. Hurts 2019 (Oklahoma) = 191.2

I'm not saying Williams won't in 2023 post a better mark in his 3rd season as a starter, but let's please not put him in the NFL HOF yet. Thanks.
That is why I used "if".

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Murray would still net a decent trade package. Plenty of people still blame Arizona for most of Murray's struggles, which is partially true.

I'd take Maye over Williams.
Not with that contract, coming off a major injury and his league wide reputation. He’s gotta prove a lot this season.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yeah the Caleb Williams mania is starting to get a little out of control. He'll probably be a starting QB, but his his passer rating with QB whisperer Riley and in Riley's QB friendly system was pedestrian compared to similar QBs Murray, Tugovailoa and Hurts.

2. Murray 2018 = 199.2

I'm not saying Williams won't in 2023 post a better mark in his 3rd season as a starter, but let's please not put him in the NFL HOF yet. Thanks.
Harrison Jr would be handy.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You guys start talking about age and i get this mental image.....

Coach Gannon is next to mike bidwill, lights flashing as they raise their first ever Lombardi trophy...

And all over the country there are Cardinals fans shaking their fists at their TV yelling, " screw you forty niners! We will win one soon!"

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

2. Murray 2018 = 199.2

Luckily nobody looks at or cares about college QB ratings.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He probably couldn't be traded in 2024, but could definitely be traded in 2025.
I'm not talking dead money, I'm talking cash paid to Kyler. If Kyler is cut after 25, Michel would have paid him $215 million in cash for only two years of the extension. I just can't see Micheal signing off on that with the possibility of paying out another $200 to the next QB in 2028. So, you looking at a $40 million foe that QB rookie dead, two large cash payments totally $450 million to two player over the course of 5 years. Not sure Michael could even afford that.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I think it's very apparent that Kyler is much happier now, than probably anytime in AZ. He seems much more engaged...that's either from maturing (likely) or from having the Kliff monkey off his back (also likely).
Good initial signs so far. Let's hope it continues!

I'm still trying to figure out the "big brain" thinking from the previous regime around constantly leaking negative stories to the media about your first overall pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Personally I have the Commanders down for the #1 pick.

Feels like they are tanking with Howell/Brissett at QB. They don't have a bad roster but those guys aren't getting you many wins. Plus they have the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys in division.

Rams are going to suck too. The question is whether they suck worse than us. But also feels like they are tanking for QB.

You'd have to bet your house on 2 top 10 picks though. 7 wins is getting you a top 10 pick and I don't see either team passing 7 wins.

My guess right now would be,

1. Commanders
2. Rams
3. Texans
4. Raiders
5. Bucs
6. Cardinals
7. Patriots
8. Colts
9. Titans
10. Packers

Cards at 6 comes with a huge asterix because it depends when Kyler returns and how he is when he returns.

There is a timeline where the Cards aren't awful. A good Kyler with Hopkins, Brown, Rondale, Ertz, Wilson, McBride and Dortch is a potent offense. But even then there's question marks over the coaching and scheme. Team could be anything from 3-14 to 7-10. Too many unknown factors.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not with that contract, coming off a major injury and his league wide reputation. He’s gotta prove a lot this season.
If any team trades for him, I'm sure they would have him re-do the contract and make it more Cap friendly. And that will probably happen even if he stays in Arizona. JMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm not talking dead money, I'm talking cash paid to Kyler. If Kyler is cut after 25, Michel would have paid him $215 million in cash for only two years of the extension. I just can't see Micheal signing off on that with the possibility of paying out another $200 to the next QB in 2028. So, you looking at a $40 million foe that QB rookie dead, two large cash payments totally $450 million to two player over the course of 5 years. Not sure Michael could even afford that.
It's all cap money in the end.

FlMike1969

Reaction score
I was never on the Kyler Murray train. I am just not a wonk on shorter than 6'1" QB's. You have to be a physical body to handle the position and the hits taken. Kyler has shown he has the accuracy required until het gets knocked around a few times. The biggest part about that position is being the Alpha male in the huddle and the room. Not a bragadocious, slap on the rear kind of Alpha. Not an emotional, up and down Alpha. A quiet leader that exudes confidence. One that knows when to yank some chains and when to lead by example. A humble leader that acts like he has been there before. That is the QB that excels in this league. Brees, Manning, Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Brady they all had it. Even Mahomes shows this quality. Kyler does not and it is not something you wait around for to develop. Once a leader has lost the room and set themselves up to be viewed a certain way. It is a mountain to climb to have any prolonged, above average success. They should be drafting guys of character and size with the physical abilities that can be developed. Never doubt the importance of team chemistry. It always starts with the QB.

Kyler needs traded and let's hope a Clayton Tune or some other QB can rise to the challenge. I would hate to see another high level QB taken when there are outstanding defensive types at that pick. I do not need that leader type on the defense so much as I want spark plug warriors with attitude and common sense to read a formation. Those OL, DL's, LB's and corners require physical traits more than personality. Those are the guys needing to be picked at the top. If they some how managed to have two top 5 picks. I would trade one back to make it 3 1st rounds and draft 3 immediate playmakers for defense and OL. The trenches are where this game is won and lost. If your QB has time pick apart defenses that means point earned. If your defensive line is making their QB think about a new profession that means points missed. That means wins. Just my two cents.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard