Playoffs: Clippers @ Suns Sunday game thread 4-16-2023 - Game 1

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty is toast unless he wins a chip this season period! Dude just is a terrible in game coach and seems not not sense flow in any game it’s ridiculous!

If he is, I know a GM who should go with him.

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
Totally fine canning monty and approaching strong dislike for the man now. If he keeps this nonsense up it’ll move to hatred.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go through all the pages here about this game and depth isn't really discussed. Its "Fire Monty" left and right. What is he supposed to do without depth?

Also over the last few game threads people are hyping up our end of the bench guys to be more than they are. They're not legit supporting players on a contender.

Hold on, you don't want them to have a short bench? This isn't making sense to me. The bench is short because the players are bad. No one on the bench should be seeing more than 10 minutes a night but in this thread people are complaining because KD played 40+ minutes. So you admit there isn't much of a bench but also say they can't afford to sit the bad players on the bench? Sorry but I'm not understanding what you want from this team right now.
Huh? It’s mentioned multiple times?! You know what you don’t do? Is spend weeks saying your are solidifying your rotations then change them before Game 1.

Can you point me to a single coach who does that?
The rest of your last paragraph makes no sense to me.

Nobody wants a short bench. It’s been that way all season long. It wasn’t going to change. Again, it gives you very little margin of error. So, why compound that by making boneheaded coaching decisions?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Those Booker/Shamet backcourt minutes were the difference. Booker was the only starter with a negative differential and had 5 TOS. I doubt Monty will make the necessary adjustment.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns lost that opportunity. Playoff rosters have already been set.
Yeah… I mean, it’s kinda obvious Damion Lee ain’t getting off the bench. With Payne already injured going into the playoffs, leaving yourself with literally ZERO back up PGs was a really questionable decision.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah… I mean, it’s kinda obvious Damion Lee ain’t getting off the bench. With Payne already injured going into the playoffs, leaving yourself with literally ZERO back up PGs was a really questionable decision.
The thinking was Booker and KD were going to be out there when it mattered and they ball handle.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One thing I think is interesting, we supposedly did not want Tatum, Gordon, or Westbrook. Those guys played well. No matter the stats, their team won. Kinda interesting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? It’s mentioned multiple times?! You know what you don’t do? Is spend weeks saying your are solidifying your rotations then change them before Game 1.

Can you point me to a single coach who does that?
The rest of your last paragraph makes no sense to me.

Nobody wants a short bench. It’s been that way all season long. It wasn’t going to change. Again, it gives you very little margin of error. So, why compound that by making boneheaded coaching decisions?

We'll just have to agree to disagree because it seems there's a communication issue between us and I really don't want to turn this discussion into an argument. So Im cool saying that I disagree and leaving it at that and I hope you're able to do the same. Maybe we can pick it later.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Especially with cp3 pruning as we speak.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing I think is interesting, we supposedly did not want Tatum, Gordon, or Westbrook. Those guys played well. No matter the stats, their team won. Kinda interesting.

Westbrook in particular is much better than his stats indicate. He was a terrible fit with the Lakers and LeBron but he's a baller who always gives 110%. I would have liked to have acquired him when he was available but I knew with KD here that wasn't happening. I don't care what they've said to the media about this showdown, there is some animosity there still and I'd be shocked to see them as them as teammates ever again.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
KD is KD but Cam, Bridges, and Crowder can provide a lot of wing minutes. The lack of a good secondary move is killing the team. Ross, Shamet, Ish, Torrey and apparently Okogie will be more often than not unplayable against the best teams in the playoffs.

Yes I know Torrey played well tonight but will be hard to replicate night after night. KD and Book going to have to be combined 70’ish every night looks like.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll just have to agree to disagree because it seems there's a communication issue between us and I really don't want to turn this discussion into an argument. So Im cool saying that I disagree and leaving it at that and I hope you're able to do the same. Maybe we can pick it later.
Not sure there is a communication issue since we agree that the bench sucks. The only difference of opinion is that Monty can’t crap the bed when he has an issue with his bench.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Westbrook in particular is much better than his stats indicate. He was a terrible fit with the Lakers and LeBron but he's a baller who always gives 110%. I would have liked to have acquired him when he was available but I knew with KD here that wasn't happening. I don't care what they've said to the media about this showdown, there is some animosity there still and I'd be shocked to see them as them as teammates ever again.
They were talking about how Westbrook felt he was abandoned by KD and he was left trying to keep his team afloat. However, Westbrook never wins MVP if KD stays there.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones deserves blame, too. He and Williams were both stubborn asses in how they handled the Crowder situation. And Jones has a weird preoccupation with bringing in reclamation projects to fill out the roster. Which is fine if your team is a bottom feeder, not so much if you're supposed to be a championship contender.

Nevertheless, none of that excuses Monty's repeated coaching malpractice in key situations. It's not an either or proposition.
Jones was trying not to include mikal and crowder in the deal, ishiba overruled him.

I don’t blame him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson