Playoffs: Clippers @ Suns Sunday game thread 4-16-2023 - Game 1

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doctor,,, Join Aerosmith and I listening to,

Dream on,,,Dream on,,,Dream on,,,Dream on until your Dreams come true....
From the Head Coach on down we performed poorly last night. Maybe that's the way the whole series will go but I doubt it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty's playoff performances are nothing but collapses and getting out-coached. If the Suns lose this series this will just show it just started much earlier this year. You will be able to look back at the last 3 playoff performances and see a consistent trend 3 years running with Monty regressing more and more 3 years in a row.

I still think we win the series though. Not ready to panic.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Westbrook going into the tunnel suite warrant some sort of suspension? Isn't that comparable to going into the stands?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Westbrook going into the tunnel suite warrant some sort of suspension? Isn't that comparable to going into the stands?

That’s how these new arenas are the players have to walk by the fans. It’s part of the fan experience and it’s stupid. That area is set up for high priced season ticket holders

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re right. He just underperformed and allowed his counterpart to over perform.

Looks pretty even to me.

Like I’ve said for all the BS our starters weren’t really the problem. It’s Monty and the Bench. Your entire bench can’t get 10 points on 3/12. Your just not gonna win with that kind of production

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks pretty even to me.

Like I’ve said for all the BS our starters weren’t really the problem. It’s Monty and the Bench. Your entire bench can’t get 10 points on 3/12. Your just not gonna win with that kind of production
It’s not even, Ayton was garbage he got out-rebounded by ******* CP3 that’s pathetic. Not to mention being lost on D many times allowing just wide open dunks. Dude is easily the most disengaged player we have playing in the team! In the last minute or so many rebounds bouncing off his stone hands or feet that should have been stops! Would rather have McGee and a backup PG than Ayton he’s just proven he’s not THE guy he’s just another guy, now making max geesh…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Looks pretty even to me.

I mean if you think:
18/8 on 50% shooting equates to 18/10 on 59%; and

12/15 on 63% shooting equates to 11/10 on 63% shooting

Ayton 2 less board and almost 10% less efficient shooting; and
Zubac 1 more point, FIVE more boards on same effective shooting

Underperform average
Overperform average

That’s a 7 rebound swing. That’s a HUGE advantage at a position we should have a larger advantage.

As always, Ayton was not THE reason for the loss. Monty is #1. The bench is #2. But I think Ayton is right there at #3 with Paul’s shooting.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Doubt it. Westbrook did nothing wrong. The fan was clearly a clown that tried to go viral and succeeded.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Did Monty explain post game why he started Craig over Okogie?

We don't need Craig's points in the starting line up, we need Okogie's D and hustle. Let him make Leonard work for his points.

Hopefully this gets corrected next game.
Yes, he did. I believe his comment was along the lines of "We wanted to put a little more height up on Kawhi."

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Time to try something different.
Easy to say... The reality is the Suns don't have any player who can control Kawhi. And please don't toss out the "Okogie would've been a better option" commentary... While it's fair to say that the "Suns don't need Craig's scoring," the reality is that that is only true IF KB, Book and either Ayton or Paul are scoring at extremely high rates...like, one of KD or Book going for 35+ with the other in the high 20's, and Ayton or Paul 20+ with the other 12+.
That didn't happen last night, so Craig 22 points in 27 mins were very much needed.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Easy to say... The reality is the Suns don't have any player who can control Kawhi. And please don't toss out the "Okogie would've been a better option" commentary... While it's fair to say that the "Suns don't need Craig's scoring," the reality is that that is only true IF KB, Book and either Ayton or Paul are scoring at extremely high rates...like, one of KD or Book going for 35+ with the other in the high 20's, and Ayton or Paul 20+ with the other 12+.
That didn't happen last night, so Craig 22 points in 27 mins were very much needed.

Too late, I already trotted out that start Okogie commentary earlier today, lol! But its a tradeoff, you lose Craig's scoring in the starting lineup which helps offensively when he is on the floor. When Okogie is on offense with the starters, they can leave him open and take a chance he is going to miss. We need Craig's scoring, no argument there, but I would rather have Craig's scoring off the bench, our bench scoring was dismal last night. The main stat last night is the L. Need to mix it up more now.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Too late, I already trotted out that start Okogie commentary earlier today, lol! But its a tradeoff, you lose Craig's scoring in the starting lineup which helps offensively when he is on the floor. When Okogie is on offense with the starters, they can leave him open and take a chance he is going to miss. We need Craig's scoring, no argument there, but I would rather have Craig's scoring off the bench, our bench scoring was dismal last night. The main stat last night is the L. Need to mix it up more now.
At the 10:05 mark of the 2nd quarter, with Okogie starting the 2nd quarter, the Suns went down by their largest deficit of the game - 16.

I don't envy Monty one bit... Especially with Payne a no-go, the Suns bench is laughable... I've been saying this since the KD trade. And I'm not against the trade. But Jones did nothing to replace the loss of guys like Cam Johnson, Dario & Crowder. The reality is this team wasn't good enough to do much in the post season before the KD trade. And yea, KD is an upgrade over Bridges. But losing the impact Bridges makes in a game, along with Cam and Crowder...even Dario (when healthy), and not replacing any of them in any meaningful way, leaves us in the same boat with a team not good enough to do much in the post season.

My hope is that this coming off-season, Jones and Ishbia get serious about making the moves required to ensure this team is a legit Championship contender...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I would rather have Craig's scoring off the bench, our bench scoring was dismal last night. The main stat last night is the L. Need to mix it up more now.

Craig will get a lot more defensive attention coming off the bench though. There is a reason he can drain 22 when KD, Book and CP3 are on the floor, Clips want Craig to take the shots in that lineup.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the 10:05 mark of the 2nd quarter, with Okogie starting the 2nd quarter, the Suns went down by their largest deficit of the game - 16.

I don't envy Monty one bit... Especially with Payne a no-go, the Suns bench is laughable... I've been saying this since the KD trade. And I'm not against the trade. But Jones did nothing to replace the loss of guys like Cam Johnson, Dario & Crowder. The reality is this team wasn't good enough to do much in the post season before the KD trade. And yea, KD is an upgrade over Bridges. But losing the impact Bridges makes in a game, along with Cam and Crowder...even Dario (when healthy), and not replacing any of them in any meaningful way, leaves us in the same boat with a team not good enough to do much in the post season.

My hope is that this coming off-season, Jones and Ishbia get serious about making the moves required to ensure this team is a legit Championship contender...

It's hard to improve a team with few assets and little CAP space.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craig will get a lot more defensive attention coming off the bench though. There is a reason he can drain 22 when KD, Book and CP3 are on the floor, Clips want Craig to take the shots in that lineup.

Yeah, without Payne, the Suns didn't have much of a scoring threat off the bench... at least when he is playing well.

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
Except for bringing the ball up court fast and often fouling,,,,Payne doesn't have the consistency to help out much.

CP3 did that S F commercial in a 'fast-walk' contest... Wish he could bring the ball up court that
fast in these playoff games.