What Will Our 2023 Look Like?

Do you think 2023 is a wash, or do you think we have/had a chance to contend?

• 2023 is a wash and I know that

• We could contend in 2023 if we make the right moves

• We could have contended in 2023 if we made the right moves, but we haven't

Results are only viewable after voting.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A lot of posters are throwing around opinions about what other posters are saying, and other posters' opinions. This poll is simply to allow people to clarify what they believe about the 2023 season.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's where I fell before the new regime was hired. I am now of the opinion they are not optimizing the roster for the future, and we won't hope to compete until 2025.
IMO, way too early to tell. There is parity in the league with the schedule and salary cap. The draft will really be the key. We also have no idea if the GM and HC and staff are any good, Can only speculate.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's where I fell before the new regime was hired. I am now of the opinion they are not optimizing the roster for the future, and we won't hope to compete until 2025.
This year is definitely a throw away year

The key is building the team with key players and youth

Not impressed with what they are doing so far

It appears that they are all over the place with their plan and there is no clear path

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This year is definitely a throw away year

The key is building the team with key players and youth

Not impressed with what they are doing so far

It appears that they are all over the place with their plan and there is no clear path

How are they all over the place?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Appears they are just filling out the roster with cheap, short contracts.
This is the way. They aren't signing too many vets, who will need playing time to justify contracts. Rather they are just plugging holes with cheap vets, so they can play draft picks and develop talent. I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the starters this year have 3 years, or less, in experience.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
K1’s injury made this season a wash regardless of who was hired as HC and GM. How Monti handles the Hopkins trade and draft will give me a little better feel for whether or not he can build a contender but still way too early to know. Hoping we can trade back to 4, draft Anderson, pick up some picks from next years draft and use those picks to acquire more a la Jimmy Johnson.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
2023 was busted well before Monti and Gannon ever got here and waaaay before Murphy and Allen left. Honestly surprised the poll isn't for 2024 - which is where I see the disagreements being had on this board but I digress so don't @ me lol

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one thing I feel that I have learned is how bad Keim was as a GM and KK as an HC. I think Keim's incompetence was covered up by Arians who was a good coach and had control over the final roster. I have no idea if Monti and Gannon will be any good just know that the existing roster that they inherited is pretty bad and that the 2023 season is going to be terrible. My hope is for a good December.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is the way. They aren't signing too many vets, who will need playing time to justify contracts. Rather they are just plugging holes with cheap vets, so they can play draft picks and develop talent. I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the starters this year have 3 years, or less, in experience.
I would pepper in some 2-3 year deals with ascending players though. Those players could help the next Cardinals playoff team.

Maybe they view Kevin Strong this way?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The one thing I feel that I have learned is how bad Keim was as a GM and KK as an HC. I think Keim's incompetence was covered up by Arians who was a good coach and had control over the final roster. I have no idea if Monti and Gannon will be any good just know that the existing roster that they inherited is pretty bad and that the 2023 season is going to be terrible. My hope is for a good December.
Keim had his hits though. St. Arians also had his faults.

My issue with Keim was his skewed draft value. In 2021 draft, you take an OT an the Cardinals are in a much better position.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's been gone over ad nauseam

Here is one example:

Sign Kyzir White = good signing, young guy that knows the system

Sign Prater = bad signing, $4 million for a kicker is wasting money and eating up valuable cap space

Young kickers suck. Generally speaking. There is a shortage of good kickers in the league.

And the age of kickers has very little effect on performance unlike practically all other positions. 38 for a kicker is like 30 for any other position.

Prater is still one of the best. Was top 10 last year.

He basically got a 1 year $4m deal. They can cut him for nothing next year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim had his hits though. St. Arians also had his faults.

My issue with Keim was his skewed draft value. In 2021 draft, you take an OT an the Cardinals are in a much better position.
I agree as Keim wasn't all bad and Arians not all good. The draft certainly was a major Keim failure and for some reason the Cards have been horrible at deveining players. Can't blame that on Keim.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Young kickers suck. Generally speaking. There is a shortage of good kickers in the league.

And the age of kickers has very little effect on performance unlike practically all other positions. 38 for a kicker is like 30 for any other position.

Prater is still one of the best. Was top 10 last year.

He basically got a 1 year $4m deal. They can cut him for nothing next year.
Young kickers suck?

Don't they all start out as young kickers?

What would that matter to us?

We could bring in some young legs and see what we can find, it's not like he's going to make a difference this year

Sure they can cut him next year, but the idea is to use up this years cap to pay off bad contracts, not create more

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Monti seems to be putting all of his eggs into the draft, witch is an extremely risky proposition.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
its an interesting process to watch.
The only thing Im sure of is, if we go 10-7 and put 8 guys in the pro bowl...its gonna blow everyones mind

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Young kickers suck?

Don't they all start out as young kickers?

What would that matter to us?

We could bring in some young legs and see what we can find, it's not like he's going to make a difference this year

Sure they can cut him next year, but the idea is to use up this years cap to pay off bad contracts, not create more
It usually takes a kicker a few years.

I've long wanted the Cardinals to find a guy to stick with, but I think right now they should focus on position players.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It usually takes a kicker a few years.

I've long wanted the Cardinals to find a guy to stick with, but I think right now they should focus on position players.
not to mention that for 2023 it is irrelevant. Praters contract isnt going to stop us from signing anyone else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard