Free Agency

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh, he transformed the D in 2021, and led us to the best record in the first half of the season. When he went down, our season went down.
So did Kyler. Yet we are 18 months removed from that and the roster is in shambles.

JJ in his prime couldn't have turned around this crap show of a season. (JJ was really good too!)
Therein lies my point. Signing one stud free agent, or even a couple with this present roster isn't really going to make us better. I can understand why the Cards might not be willing to spend big after the Kyler contract and Kliff/Keim/Wilks debacles. I'm more surprised, given our history, that others don't. We are a cheap franchise that has almost always been cheap.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I don’t get this view. You have to field 22 starters and plenty of other guys that see the field. You’re allowed to sign them for more than one season. So even if this year is a wash you do get to play these guys next year, and even the next if you sign them to a three year contract. And as I recall we have few players signed to contracts. So what good does just not signing talented players do long term for the team?
I agree. Can’t fill every position in one offseason. Sign the right guys each year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think that they want to commit themselves to the big free agent spending and years. They want shorter term contracts so they can build from the draft. It isn't like this team has an owner that can (or is willing to) shell out 100M in signing bonuses to sign these big free agents.

What good did JJ Watt do for this team overall? He was a good signing in my eyes, and he was a leader among men. Yet this team and defense still had another epic collapse.

I'm not saying they should do nothing for nothing's sake. I think they want to fill the roster with C+ and B level players. Just my humble opinion.
You have to fill a 53 man roster. You’re letting talent walk. Even with comp picks and trades we get maybe, what, 10 picks this year and 10 next? That’s 20 players. 10 of whom we would be lucky to be contributors. Leaves a lot of roster slots to be filled, no? Or are we now gunning for a successful 2026 season?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to fill a 53 man roster. You’re letting talent walk. Even with comp picks and trades we get maybe, what, 10 picks this year and 10 next? That’s 20 players. 10 of whom we would be lucky to be contributors. Leaves a lot of roster slots to be filled, no?

I think the team will fill up with the 2nd and maybe even 3rd tier talent from free agency to fill that roster. Sadly, that will still be an improvement in a lot of areas.
Or are we now gunning for a successful 2026 season?
I think they should be gunning for a successful 2024 or 25 season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think that they want to commit themselves to the big free agent spending and years. They want shorter term contracts so they can build from the draft.

Explain to me how signing Zach Allen to a three-year contract would have prevented them from "building from the draft."

Adding quality free agents on multi-year contracts allows you to build through the draft because you have roster stability.

You just have to believe in your personnel process.

What good did JJ Watt do for this team overall? He was a good signing in my eyes, and he was a leader among men. Yet this team and defense still had another epic collapse.

The collapse happened after J.J. Watt suffered a near-season ending injury. How was J.J. supposed to prevent the collapse from the sideline?

This season never really achieved escape velocity, but the team was much better with Watt than without. He lead the team in sacks and it was still fighting through the end of the season. That matters.

People are acting like critics of the front office are mad because we didn't sign, like, Javon Hargrave and James Bradberry. These guys are players in their 30s who may only have a year or two of top performance remaining.

But guys like Dre'Mont Jones and Zach Allen are still on the upswing of their careers. They're guys who can help you win for the life of their contracts.

I think some of the hostility directed at apologists for the front office is attributable to the idea that your understanding of the front office's point of view is also an endorsement of the front office's unwillingness to spend money to field a competitive team with experienced, quality NFL players.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s pretty cheap actually for a possible place holder starter/mentor/back up with his experience. Thats cheaper than Mike White And Taylor Heineke
I'd actually be ok with Matt Ryan. Yes he appears washed. So thats good for those who want to tank. But he's a pro's pro.

A guy thats accomplished what Kyler wants to accomplish one day (win MVP, play in Super Bowl). Not that Colt isnt great in the professional role, but would be a guy who can actually show him how to prepare to be great.

Not happening. Just rambling.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty cheap actually for a possible place holder starter/mentor/back up with his experience. Thats cheaper than Mike White And Taylor Heineke
Of the 3, give me Heineke all day and twice on the important day Sunday.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explain to me how signing Zach Allen to a three-year contract would have prevented them from "building from the draft."
It wouldn't have. Doesn't mean that the Cards valued him at the price he wanted, or Zach really wanted to be here, or hell that the Cards wanted to re-sign him.
Adding quality free agents on multi-year contracts allows you to build through the draft because you have roster stability.
1. How many players that the Cards draft are worth a 2nd contract?
2. Of the ones that are, how many did the Cards actually sign.

Both are depressing, and typical Cards from decades past, not just this year.
You just have to believe in your personnel process.
Who's to say that isn't what this new staff is doing?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It wouldn't have. Doesn't mean that the Cards valued him at the price he wanted, or Zach really wanted to be here, or hell that the Cards wanted to re-sign him.

1. How many players that the Cards draft are worth a 2nd contract?
2. Of the ones that are, how many did the Cards actually sign.

Both are depressing, and typical Cards from decades past, not just this year.

Who's to say that isn't what this new staff is doing?
Poverty fans.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So did Kyler. Yet we are 18 months removed from that and the roster is in shambles.
You're acting as if there is some relationship between the two?
Therein lies my point. Signing one stud free agent, or even a couple with this present roster isn't really going to make us better.
It literally would make us better. You're seriously saying signing a couple stud free agents won't make us better?
I can understand why the Cards might not be willing to spend big after the Kyler contract and Kliff/Keim/Wilks debacles.
So tank this year?
We are a cheap franchise that has almost always been cheap.
Can't argue this.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you fine with the way the Cards are doing business this season so far?
This offseason, or this free agency?

Offseason, yep. They got rid of Keim/Kliff/Vance and to me that is already a win.

Free Agency, nope. But it is going exactly as I expected.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're acting as if there is some relationship between the two?
There is. A lot of things went right for the first half of last year, and a lot of things went horrible wrong after that. Both JJ and Kyler are a part of that.
It literally would make us better. You're seriously saying signing a couple stud free agents won't make us better?
Better, yes. Better enough for Bidwill and the staff to think it would be worth it?
So tank this year?
I don't know if tank is the right word. Have realistic expectations that we likely will not be good next year no matter what.
Can't argue this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the team will fill up with the 2nd and maybe even 3rd tier talent from free agency to fill that roster. Sadly, that will still be an improvement in a lot of areas.

I think they should be gunning for a successful 2024 or 25 season.
That’s not going to happen with a bunch of first and second year drafts picks and 2nd tier, and more likely 3rd tier and leftover players.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not going to happen with a bunch of first and second year drafts picks and 2nd tier, and more likely 3rd tier and leftover players.
Probably not. I also don't (didn't) have lofty expectations that this team will suddenly win the lottery and sign a top tier free agent or two to close the gap.