POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In regards to Sean Payton would you not have traded 2 2s for Payton?

The Broncos are getting a THIRD round pick back. All for a pick thats just 5 slots ahead of us. We wouldnt have to give up a 1st rounder because we didnt necessarily have to take a 3rd round pick back. Could have taken a 4th or sweetened it by saying nah on any pick coming back.

With respect you keep saying we're not ready to compete. Im saying I'd rather have a potential 8 to 10 year HC and not think about firing another coach in 2 years.

This franchise has gambled enough.
This. I could care less about the current roster. You go after the best coach for the long term. We need a coach that can "fix" Kyler first and foremost. Payton has experience with a similar statured QB in Brees. He would just need to get Kyler on board with the mental part. I think Payton would have been best suited for that job.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This. I could care less about the current roster. You go after the best coach for the long term. We need a coach that can "fix" Kyler first and foremost. Payton has experience with a similar statured QB in Brees. He would just need to get Kyler on board with the mental part. I think Payton would have been best suited for that job.
I'll agree, that the Cardinals need a coach you can fix Kyler.. I'll even go further and say that I think Murray is easier to fix than Wilson.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of Steve Keim critics on here, but are sharing the same mentality as him. Being afraid of a rebuild & all.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
A lot of Steve Keim critics on here, but are sharing the same mentality as him. Being afraid of a rebuild & all.
You seem very sure that a total rebuild is the only solution here. I wonder why that is. There are plenty of examples of teams that go from the outhouse to the penthouse.

Most of this same roster won a lot of games 2 years ago, and the NFL is a year to year league. I'm definitely concerned with our depth on both lines but a quick turnaround isn't impossible.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For me, it's frustrating because we're entering Year 4 of the last rebuild. I count Kyler's rookie season as Year 0 because we had to come out from under the debacles of Sam Bradford/Mike Glennon/Josh Rosen's deals and a couple others.

All we got out of that rebuild was an awful Wild Card round exit. :barf:

I'm also wondering how feasible it is to rebuild with a franchise QB already under contract. It looks like the Falcons managed it pretty well from 2013 - 2015, but they had to fire their coach halfway through (I think this is why the Cards were probably interested in Quinn, TBH).

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't buy that one bit. Maybe if it was same division but a team is going to what's best for them. Maybe that 6 pick differential was key to Loomis. But, if so inclined, the Cards could have bested that offer. Just no getting a return 3 from the Saints for the next 2 second round picks was a better deal.

It's all speculation but from the outside looking in, IF Bidwill wanted Payton, which all indications are he did, he blew it.

People seem to forget that PAYTON decided where he wanted to go in the end. Had he told his former employer that he wanted to go to AZ, an acceptable transaction would have been worked out in all likelihood.

Of the openings available to him, and it wasn't only AZ and Denver, he decided he was most comfortable with the Broncos.

Are we to say that all who were interested in Payton 'blew it.'

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You seem very sure that a total rebuild is the only solution here. I wonder why that is.
Because we lack high-end talent & overall depth. We can’t keep putting a bandaid on it every single year.
There are plenty of examples of teams that go from the outhouse to the penthouse.
I’m willing to bet those teams had more talent than we currently do. Probably in a easier division as well.
Most of this same roster won a lot of games 2 years ago
Which turned out to be a paper tiger. I want to be legitimate threat, not a paper tiger.
I'm definitely concerned with our depth on both lines
I’m concerned about depth & top-end talent everywhere outside of Safety(which ironically, you’re not high on).

A quick turn-around isn’t impossible, but I’m not holding my breath to believing it’s going to be quick.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russell finished with 25 tds 6 ints 103 passer rating while coming back from a broken finger.

His passer rating was 125 before breaking his finger..
You obviously didn't watch him play or see how many times Lockett and DK bailed him out. He looked washed up well before the injury.

And if we're looking only at stats, Dominique Wilkins is top 3 NBA all time.

*Edit
These are some bad throws that Lockett made amazing plays on.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You obviously didn't watch him play or see how many times Lockett and DK bailed him out. He looked washed up well before the injury.

And if we're looking only at stats, Dominique Wilkins is top 3 NBA all time.
When he was posting a 70 QBR??

No one was saying Russ looked washed. Russ looked like Russ.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe we could lock this thread now and keep all coach talk to the (at least) 2 others? :)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When he was posting a 70 QBR??

No one was saying Russ looked washed. Russ looked like Russ.
Watch the video. His throws were awful. And yes, there were questions up here about his abilities prior to the injury. They were worried he was going to get Lockett hurt with all the undergrowth. Watch the video and tell me he earned that QBR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose