POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I assume Bidwill wanted to use future picks and the Saints wanted the pick now.

Everyone was sure Russ Wilson was going to be the big change to that offense last year. They were 8th favorite in pre season superbowl odds. And look how that worked out.
Coaching matters. Wilson may be shot. Through the years, I've always said he was way overrated. But, that situation was terrible and the staff acquiesced to all things Wilson. Payton is not going to do that. Carroll won with him and SP is that level of a coach. We'll see.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton will make between $17 to $20 million per year. Just heard that on morning Bickley & Marotta Show.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't want us giving up that much in draft compensation, not when our cupboard is bare.
Yea no way I trade Byron Murphy and Rondale Moore for Sean Payton.

Although TBF thats with Keim picking.

Maybe Monti would have taken AJ Brown and Creed Humphrey.

Edit: Titans passed on Creed and traded possible super bowl champion AJ Brown because of his ego. So who knows.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't want us giving up that much in draft compensation, not when our cupboard is bare.
I think the guys that are angry on here are the ones that think this roster is close to contending or something.

I don’t think it’s a matter of “This roster just needs the right HC to contend”. I think it’s more so that we lack a lot of talent that even under Payton it would take more than two years to actually be formidable. Payton has missed the playoffs with teams more talented than our current roster right now.

We’re not in the business of giving up picks. We need them more than ever. We need cornerstones.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the guys that are angry on here are the ones that think this roster is close to contending or something.

I don’t think it’s a matter of “This roster just needs the right HC to contend”. I think it’s more so that we lack a lot of talent that even under Payton it would take more than two years to actually be formidable. Payton has missed the playoffs with teams more talented than our current roster right now.

We’re not in the business of giving up picks. We need them more than ever. We need cornerstones.
In regards to Sean Payton would you not have traded 2 2s for Payton?

The Broncos are getting a THIRD round pick back. All for a pick thats just 5 slots ahead of us. We wouldnt have to give up a 1st rounder because we didnt necessarily have to take a 3rd round pick back. Could have taken a 4th or sweetened it by saying nah on any pick coming back.

With respect you keep saying we're not ready to compete. Im saying I'd rather have a potential 8 to 10 year HC and not think about firing another coach in 2 years.

This franchise has gambled enough.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coaching matters. Wilson may be shot. Through the years, I've always said he was way overrated. But, that situation was terrible and the staff acquiesced to all things Wilson. Payton is not going to do that. Carroll won with him and SP is that level of a coach. We'll see.

Caroll won with Geno Smith. Maybe Caroll was always making Russ better than he is?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea no way I trade Byron Murphy and Rondale Moore for Sean Payton.

Although TBF thats with Keim picking.

Maybe Monti would have taken AJ Brown and Creed Humphrey.

Edit: Titans passed on Creed and traded possible super bowl champion AJ Brown because of his ego. So who knows.

Reminded that Monti had zero say in Titans draft picks or trades.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

agree but also need a winning head coach. Payton has shown he can win at this level. I wouldn't have given up the #3 pick, which could just as easily be Dante Fowler, Sam Darnold, or Solomon Thomas as Joey Bosa or Q Williams. But two second rounders, which was basically the cost, is a no brainer to do the deal.

I'm not mad at not getting Payton but he was worth that price. Like I've said, Harbaugh could and should be the target.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilson looked just as bad the prior year in Seattle in the same system Geno Smith looked good in.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Reminded that Monti had zero say in Titans draft picks or trades.
Which is why I followed it with "who knows"

He might have been 100% on board with passing on Creed and trading Brown.

We'll find out if he can or cant draft. And we'll see if he can trade as well as Keim.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, because we actually need talent. Unlike the Broncos, we’re not ready to content with this hopeless roster.
Im saying I'd rather have a potential 8 to 10 year HC and not think about firing another coach in 2 years.
I can’t say with confidence Payton will be coaching for that long. Payton coming here would’ve been a lose-lose situation for him due to the lack of talent he would have & due to the lack of assets we would never for that talent that we ended up trading for him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

The Broncos are getting a THIRD round pick back. All for a pick thats just 5 slots ahead of us. We wouldnt have to give up a 1st rounder because we didnt necessarily have to take a 3rd round pick back. Could have taken a 4th or sweetened it by saying nah on any pick coming back.

With respect you keep saying we're not ready to compete. Im saying I'd rather have a potential 8 to 10 year HC and not think about firing another coach in 2 years.

This franchise has gambled enough.
No idea Saints would have accepted that from AZ. IMO, they would give a better deal to a team outside the NFC.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Caroll won with Geno Smith. Maybe Caroll was always making Russ better than he is?
Carroll did make him better. Payton will too. That's why I said, coaching matters. There's a reason guys like Belichick, Tomlin, Reid, Harbaugh, Carroll, even Arians are always playoff contenders. Payton is right there.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wilson looked just as bad the prior year in Seattle in the same system Geno Smith looked good in.
Russell finished with 25 tds 6 ints 103 passer rating while coming back from a broken finger.

His passer rating was 125 before breaking his finger..

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you guys are afraid of going through this obvious rebuild we’re about to enter.
If we got DeMeco Ryans I think people would be a bit more optimistic.
For me I would have been good with Frank Reich as well.

I may have been sold on Dan Quinn even if Shanahan was the real key to that. I'd at least hope he can find another one.

The coaching candidates available dont give me much confidence.

Whoever we hire I'll give them a fair chance though.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agree but also need a winning head coach. Payton has shown he can win at this level. I wouldn't have given up the #3 pick, which could just as easily be Dante Fowler, Sam Darnold, or Solomon Thomas as Joey Bosa or Q Williams. But two second rounders, which was basically the cost, is a no brainer to do the deal.

I'm not mad at not getting Payton but he was worth that price. Like I've said, Harbaugh could and should be the target.
I don’t think we need a win-now HC when our talent is nowhere near win-now. Denver’s talent is way better than ours on paper so I believe they can get away with that move & maybe NOT regret it.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
No idea Saints would have accepted that from AZ. IMO, they would give a better deal to a team outside the NFC.
Don't buy that one bit. Maybe if it was same division but a team is going to what's best for them. Maybe that 6 pick differential was key to Loomis. But, if so inclined, the Cards could have bested that offer. Just no getting a return 3 from the Saints for the next 2 second round picks was a better deal.

It's all speculation but from the outside looking in, IF Bidwill wanted Payton, which all indications are he did, he blew it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Payton was an actual FA, then yea, I would most likely be mad as well.

But we’re just in the business of giving away picks right now, man.

We NEED talent, guys. We have VERY, VERY little of it.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I’m wondering if the Saints sat on a deal until Denver hired someone in case it panned out like it did with them circling back and outbidding the Cardinals?

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think you guys are afraid of going through this obvious rebuild we’re about to enter.
Nope bring it on. Tear it down to the foundation and start over. Build it the right way and make it last for the long run

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Enough with the Harbaugh nonsense - we had a better chance of hiring Sean Payton - and we had no chance of hiring Sean Payton - lol these masochistic Harbaugh posts need to stop

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave