Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is Flores any different from Mike Tomlin? Is that a serious question?

Everyone knows that Tomlin is a defensive HC. This is bananas.

The argument for Flores is that you're not all-in on Kyler Murray and comfortable with a higher probability that you're going to have a permanent veteran starter as early as 2024. You'd be good with that as long as you feel like instilling a culture is more important that optimizing your franchise quarterback.

That's a fine argument to make, but it's really hard to make a real argument that you're hiring Flores to get the most out of Kyler Murray. Flores definitely has a vision for what he wants a football team to be; the reason he couldn't get along in Miami is that the owner had a different vision. The owner in Miami is pretty awful, so YMMV on where you apportion blame for that.

I was referencing Tomlin in in regards to volatility. Flores has high standards and holds people to account. As does Tomlin. I wouldn't call either volatile.

Yes Tomlin has a defensive background but he's not a defensive head coach. He's just a head coach. He runs both sides equally.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How is Flores volatile?

How is he any different from Mike Tomlin?

For what it's worth I believe Flores could be the next Tomlin. The qualities that make Tomlin a great HC I see in Flores too. Nobody says Tomlin is defensive or offensive. He's just a HC.
How? It depends on the reports you hear and how much is believable. As fans, we will never know the truth. Anyone can say anything in an interview, it's also an interview from the side who did it, not the one who received it. If there is one from Tua's side, I haven't seen it.

Everyone can see the fire burns bright within him and he's a very passionate person. I don't think anyone will contest that.

Passion and volatility can be a bit interchangeable. Someone said in another thread he gives off Singletary vibes. Right or wrong, that is a believable perception. Many of us also saw Buddy Ryan's volatility. We've had Dennis Green and his 'crown their ass' moment. We've had GM Robert Ferguson 'come and talk to me!'. I don't want to go down this road again.

As a fan trying to look at the whole thing.
-An intense and passionate personality at the upper end of what you'll see
-One-year firing
-Reported clash with QB
-Lawsuit

All of those things fit the same group and lend to the perception of a volatile situation. Maybe it isn't fair. But it's there and hard to ignore.

The next Tomlin? Perhaps. I don't think we as an organization are in a stable enough position to find out. I don't think our fanbase, especially the casuals, can stomach another situation like that. Remember we are the diehard few. Looking on tv or while at the stadium, the mix between cards fans and opponents is going the wrong way.

One could say about Flores, it's perception, it might be true or false. Ok. I can agree with that. But why roll the dice on it? It's another homerun swing, risk it all type of move.
We're coming off two head coaching flameouts, multiple bad seasons/collapses, and a GM breakdown. At this point, imo, we shouldn't be taking huge risks.

Each situation is its own, and we risk letting the past color the present with such thinking, but I want to build our foundation on bedrock, not sand.

If we hire him and he flames out, Bidwill will have to eat another check, or will he be too afraid to even fire the guy? Will his pocketbook prevent it? I don't want some toxic situation for a couple of years. Out of the frying pan and into the fryer. I'd like to avoid that. Whoever we hire, I feel we're married to for a long time.

For the record, when we were looking for Wilks, I was in favor of looking hard at Flores. He rose up quickly and touched many aspects of the Patriot organization. Clearly, he has talent. But when tasked with running a team in Miami, the end result wasn't pretty. Whether it's a legitimate stain or not, they are valid questions.

Personally, rather than MB continually paying a bunch of coaches who flame out, if you have a chance, pay top dollar, even break $$$ records for Payton. MB is losing his fans, and hiring a guy who *may* clash with, or at the very least not be able to maximize Kyler doesn't seem wise.

I want a coach who can take Kyler or another QB to the promised land, not potentially berate him. We all want him challenged, but if the knowledge base isn't there to back up or help him overcome the challenge, will it fall on deaf ears and create friction? We've already seen Murray throw shade at Kliff, and if we remember, it was for Kliff to calm down. It just doesn't seem like a good match.

I don't want a coach with any of these sorts of questions period. I've seen this movie before and the trailer seems to be showing what I don't like.

I think besides winning, that stability is the order of the day. Flores does not engender that feeling with me.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Could go this way...

Brian Flores HC
Eric Bieniemy OC
Jerod Mayo DC

I would prefer Ejiro Evero as DC

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think we all know SP isn't coming here.

Flores seems likely. Hopefully we will get a nice pass from the NFL for awhile. He could still end up being fine, but we need a legit OC. We probably keep VJ.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That is my worst fear for a head coach right now. VJ would probably promote Billy Davis to the DC position. I have never been so frustrated watching a defense like I have with the ones he coaches.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
That is my worst fear for a head coach right now. VJ would probably promote Billy Davis to the DC position. I have never been so frustrated watching a defense like I have with the ones he coaches.

Never know, Billy Davis might be decent DC but lousy linebacker coach.

Please no.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Beg to disagree with Monti having total say in the hiring of a HC

I seem to recall MB saying that the new GM would assist him in hiring the new GM.

PS Didn’t Fran Stryker write both Sgt. Preston and the Lone Ranger?
Bidwill makes the final call

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If that happens I will be pissed. This would scream MB saving money and basically “telling” the new GM this is who you will “hire” and thus we have another GM puppet. I do not want VJ or Davis here next year at all.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How? It depends on the reports you hear and how much is believable. As fans, we will never know the truth. Anyone can say anything in an interview, it's also an interview from the side who did it, not the one who received it. If there is one from Tua's side, I haven't seen it.

Everyone can see the fire burns bright within him and he's a very passionate person. I don't think anyone will contest that.

Passion and volatility can be a bit interchangeable. Someone said in another thread he gives off Singletary vibes. Right or wrong, that is a believable perception. Many of us also saw Buddy Ryan's volatility. We've had Dennis Green and his 'crown their ass' moment. We've had GM Robert Ferguson 'come and talk to me!'. I don't want to go down this road again.

As a fan trying to look at the whole thing.
-An intense and passionate personality at the upper end of what you'll see
-One-year firing
-Reported clash with QB
-Lawsuit

All of those things fit the same group and lend to the perception of a volatile situation. Maybe it isn't fair. But it's there and hard to ignore.

The next Tomlin? Perhaps. I don't think we as an organization are in a stable enough position to find out. I don't think our fanbase, especially the casuals, can stomach another situation like that. Remember we are the diehard few. Looking on tv or while at the stadium, the mix between cards fans and opponents is going the wrong way.

One could say about Flores, it's perception, it might be true or false. Ok. I can agree with that. But why roll the dice on it? It's another homerun swing, risk it all type of move.
We're coming off two head coaching flameouts, multiple bad seasons/collapses, and a GM breakdown. At this point, imo, we shouldn't be taking huge risks.

Each situation is its own, and we risk letting the past color the present with such thinking, but I want to build our foundation on bedrock, not sand.

If we hire him and he flames out, Bidwill will have to eat another check, or will he be too afraid to even fire the guy? Will his pocketbook prevent it? I don't want some toxic situation for a couple of years. Out of the frying pan and into the fryer. I'd like to avoid that. Whoever we hire, I feel we're married to for a long time.

For the record, when we were looking for Wilks, I was in favor of looking hard at Flores. He rose up quickly and touched many aspects of the Patriot organization. Clearly, he has talent. But when tasked with running a team in Miami, the end result wasn't pretty. Whether it's a legitimate stain or not, they are valid questions.

Personally, rather than MB continually paying a bunch of coaches who flame out, if you have a chance, pay top dollar, even break $$$ records for Payton. MB is losing his fans, and hiring a guy who *may* clash with, or at the very least not be able to maximize Kyler doesn't seem wise.

I want a coach who can take Kyler or another QB to the promised land, not potentially berate him. We all want him challenged, but if the knowledge base isn't there to back up or help him overcome the challenge, will it fall on deaf ears and create friction? We've already seen Murray throw shade at Kliff, and if we remember, it was for Kliff to calm down. It just doesn't seem like a good match.

I don't want a coach with any of these sorts of questions period. I've seen this movie before and the trailer seems to be showing what I don't like.

I think besides winning, that stability is the order of the day. Flores does not engender that feeling with me.

Everything I've read about him says his players loved him. Honest, transparent, great coach. I've not heard a single thing about him shouting at players or being volatile.

Many of them spoke out publicly against his firing.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

All other teams looking for a HC have between 8-13 candidates, so I would expect more soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All other teams looking for a HC have between 8-13 candidates, so I would expect more soon.

You must be registered for see images attach
#WideNet

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members