No option to trade down, so would you go Will Anderson or Jalen Carter?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If someone said that Carter could be an Aaron Donald type clone I would run the selection in as soon as the Cards are on the clock
This is why I noted on an earlier thread I resist doing player comparisons. I believe the vast majority oh players have unique skill sets though I understand how that tool is used. I’m not sure any player will be like Donald or Swann. Carter, however, will be a force for years to come. He changes the impact of the line and will be incredibly effective. Grab him!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is why I noted on an earlier thread I resist doing player comparisons. I believe the vast majority oh players have unique skill sets though I understand how that tool is used. I’m not sure any player will be like Donald or Swann. Carter, however, will be a force for years to come. He changes the impact of the line and will be incredibly effective. Grab him!
I agree with you that comparisons are very difficult to make. Many fans always rave about sacks from an OLB or a DE but as you suggest a DT can be a major disruptive force on an offense regardless of sack numbers.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Not debating that these two guys are the best defensive players in the draft at this point.

Will Anderson
Pro's - very strong, a motor, and has been productive
Con's - doesn't seem like he is going to be an elite pass rusher - most of his sacks (that I have watched) are due to effort, stunts, power.

Jalen Carter
Pro's - very strong, a motor, and has been productive
Con's - He doesn't seem as strong at Derrick Brown or as disruptive as Quinnen. Almost a tweener.

Caveat -as I have proven over the years...I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes player evaluations. :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I recently watched a video where someone did an analysis of each player & then arrived at who he would choose if he was making a top 5 decision.
Anderson strengths:
-tremendous effort
-best in a 3-4, but can hold up in a 4-3
-extremely intelligent player
-elite 0-5 yd explosion
-elite hands
-elite strength

Anderson weaknesses (by degree of course)
-does miss tackles in the backfield
-doesn’t have elite balance or bend. Cannot be compared to Von Miller for this reason alone.

Carter Strengths
-elite speed off the ball for a DT
-gets held on every play. Will require a double team most of the time.
-elite pad level positioning
- “He’ll make their Center look like he’s never played before
Weaknesses:
-because of his elite explosion, he sometimes loses his balance & ends up on the ground.
-Is not Jordan Davis good against run
-More like Quinnen Williams in that his stamina will only allow him to be on the field less than 70% of the plays.

He chose Carter by saying that Carter just continues to improve and will continue to get better. He thought Carter is a “better lump of clay” for DC’s to develop.

I personally lean towards Anderson, but would be happy with either one.
I watched, and posted this video on this forum the other day...

But here's the thing: Jalen Carter's NFL production is just a projection at this point. If Jalen Carter's best season in the NFL is just 32 tackles and 3 sacks, it's pretty meh even with him being held and double teamed. That's spotty production. Quinnen Williams produced big numbers at Alabama despite being doubled and held all of time.

Will Anderson on the other hand produced big time and looked the part too.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

5th all time in sacks as a junior. Against SEC competition. ***Not all time actually. This is since sports-reference started chatting sacks. I noticed Terrell Suggs wasn't on this list and became suspicious.***

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

How many people on that all time list had all-pro type careers in the NFL/worthy of a top 3 pick?

Von and Garrett? (2)?

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully we can trade down and nail one of these guys. Need that QB stock to rise.

I'll manage my expectations though. Not sure what else to look forward to with this team.

Most likely they both go top 3

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I watched, and posted this video on this forum the other day...

But here's the thing: Jalen Carter's NFL production is just a projection at this point. If Jalen Carter's best season in the NFL is just 32 tackles and 3 sacks, it's pretty meh even with him being held and double teamed. That's spotty production. Quinnen Williams produced big numbers at Alabama despite being doubled and held all of time.

Will Anderson on the other hand produced big time and looked the part too.
I don't disagree in regards to Anderson. But, there's just something about a strong & quick DT that collapses a pocket & makes a defense staunch overnight that would upset me if we missed out on.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Say the Colts trade with the Bears, which pretty much guarantees us both Will Anderson & Jalen Carter on the board with Houston most likely going after the QB the Colts didn’t take.

Who would you rather go with & why?

This is no trade-back scenario.

This is a Maryanne or Ginger scenario.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

5th all time in sacks as a junior. Against SEC competition. ***Not all time actually. This is since sports-reference started chatting sacks. I noticed Terrell Suggs wasn't on this list and became suspicious.***
How many sacks did those top 3 guys get?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didn’t stupidly let him go the Jags gave him a ridiculous contract we would of been stupid to match it
You are STILL sticking to this UTTERLY ridiculous stance?! The Cardinals decided the most they could pay Calais was 10 million per while already extending Gresham for 3 years and 21 million bucks which was an insanely terrible contract. They could have and should have earmarked ALL of his money to Calais because Gresham was a minimum salary replacement level catastrophe who netted a whopping 700 yards OVER THREE SEASONS and only excelled at one thing… picking up idiotic personal fouls at the perfectly wrong time.

And anyone who wants to claim all of the above is hindsight, go use the search function and find the receipts because I said ALL of this at the time.

The Gresham contract that kept us from signing Campbell was ridiculous. Not the one Campbell got from the Jags.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are STILL sticking to this UTTERLY ridiculous stance?! The Cardinals decided the most they could pay Calais was 10 million per while already extending Gresham for 3 years and 21 million bucks which was an insanely terrible contract. They could have and should have earmarked ALL of his money to Calais because Gresham was a minimum salary replacement level catastrophe who netted a whopping 700 yards OVER THREE SEASONS and only excelled at one thing… picking up idiotic personal fouls at the perfectly wrong time.

And anyone who wants to claim all of the above is hindsight, go use the search function and find the receipts because I said ALL of this at the time.

The Gresham contract that kept us from signing Campbell was ridiculous. Not the one Campbell got from the Jags.

Because it’s how I happened. Bennet in Seattle was his comp and he just got a new deal. We offered to pay him more than Bennet and the Jags came in and blew both contracts out of the water.

That’s how I remember it and honestly I don’t really care at this point. So you can write up some long anger filled response about a guy we didn’t sign x amount of years ago if you want.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Anyone else salivating at the thought of Anderson on one side & Cam/Myjai on the other?

Especially if Zach gets resigned.
As much as we can bash Keim for a lot of moves, his last draft class isn't all that bad.

McBride looks like he can be a pretty good starting TE, Sanders and Cam look to be quality rotational players on the defensive front, and Christian Matthews should stick as 3rd/4th defensive back.

If Smith or Hayes works out too, it might be Keim's best draft.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want the Cardinals to have a great defense that is feared. I believe that you build from the inside out and that starts with Carter anchoring the middle.

SteveKeimFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As much as we can bash Keim for a lot of moves, his last draft class isn't all that bad.

McBride looks like he can be a pretty good starting TE, Sanders and Cam look to be quality rotational players on the defensive front, and Christian Matthews should stick as 3rd/4th defensive back.

If Smith or Hayes works out too, it might be Keim's best draft.
wow Steve Keim did a amazing job drafting some players who can stick around on a NFL team.

Good work Keim.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
wow Steve Keim did a amazing job drafting some players who can stick around on a NFL team.

Good work Keim.
You must not look around at draft classes across the NFL. It's not uncommon for good drafts to only have two players still around on a team five years later. McBride, Thomas, Sanders, and Matthew look like decent players. Lecitus Smith had his moments as well. That's a very solid draft class.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose