Chargers at Cardinals gameday thread 11-27-22

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think we get Payton unless we are willing to fire Keim. And MB won't be pressured like that. Therefore...... he is a huge hope for the fan base but a non-starter for our owner.

All the greats bring along their own executives. Reid did it with Dorsey also.
You are 100 percent wrong on the play. Kyler was the last guy to blame on the play. His last gasp chuck it attempt was a smart play, if not the best throw, and the INT wasn't the worst outcome.

His postgame comments on it aren't great.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Another head scratcher. Clement made a nice play getting a first.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The QB saying "We were schematically ******" as some kind of an excuse is is a joke. If only he had the ability to see they were schematically ****** and call a TO or audible before the play.

Especially when the pass to Nuk was on and he massively under threw it.
He read the safety back which made the play workable, but he couldn’t read the safety coming up and reading the easily readable play so quickly to audible out of it. Your myopia is getting in the way or your reason.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Brit here. The QB, with any ability to see the defense was ready to collapse the hell out of that play, in that scenario, your own 30, with a lead, all that, BAIL OUT! Worst case scenario, call TO.
As the breakdown showed. The safety didn’t tip his read of the play early enough for kyler to move off the play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Almost like the QB should recognize that pre-snap and change the play...

EDIT: Just saw others stated the same thing. I hated the decision to go for it, but it's on the QB to determine if the defense has it sniffed out pre-snap. He has the ability to call a timeout. That is what managing a game looks like. You don't just run into a brick wall because you coach called a play to do so.
Watch the breakdown of the play. The safety that ended up taking away the TE was initially backed off. The primary target seemed open. The safety closed late and quickly. No time to move off the call.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colt completed more passes over 10 and 20 at a higher completion rate in the Rams game than any game Kyler played this season. The Niners game not so much.

But we still didn't do any of them past 10 yards on third down. There is a clear schematical issue here where we are intentionally not throwing the ball past the sticks on third and 10+

Everything is a screen and pray in that situation.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Here’s a breakdown -
Wait what didn't Brit tell everyone that there was no looking to the flat he was looking at Hop the entire time? @BritCard word of advice you argue with people that have been following, watching, and learning the game for their entire lives and you think you know more then everyone else in 6 or 8 years? Slow it down man you're a valued member of the board, but man you can be wrong every now and again, we have all done that too.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport with some inside scoop on the Kliff / Kyler / Cards situation - he has inside sources.

On the CBS pregame show yesterday their insider said 'league sources were surprised that FIVE YEAR extensions were given after ONE winning season.'

Ya think?!?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Every loss is a win now in the draft lombardi. Helps drive change too.
Fair enough. I don't gotta like it though. I turn in to Cardinals football on Sunday to see my team win. The day I root for them to lose is the day I stop watching. I know that sounds dumb in light of the McCown/Poole fisaco, but it's just how I'm wired.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fair enough. I don't gotta like it though. I turn in to Cardinals football on Sunday to see my team win. The day I root for them to lose is the day I stop watching. I know that sounds dumb in light of the McCown/Poole fisaco, but it's just how I'm wired.
Right there with you. Game yesterday hurt and I am still pissed off today.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did not like that play call one bit. I would have preferred an option play or commit to run it to get the yard.

Kliff said it was an RPO. Run was the first option but Kyler felt the run wasn't on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff said it was an RPO. Run was the first option but Kyler felt the run wasn't on.

It didn't look an RPO to me. I didn't like the design of the play because it could be taken away too easily.

Also, Kyler was being rushed from the backside as well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But we still didn't do any of them past 10 yards on third down. There is a clear schematical issue here where we are intentionally not throwing the ball past the sticks on third and 10+

Everything is a screen and pray in that situation.

But a lot of teams do that. In fact I'd say that on 3rd and 10 more plays are short of the stocks than beyond.

On 3rd and 10 DBs are camped on the sticks and the D line is pining their ears back and you are almost certainly facing a blitz, at least a 5th rusher.

Most teams are throwing the quick under there and hoping for YAC.

You could probably argue we do it more than we should and there should be more variety there though.

I just went to look this up and I can only find it up to 2019.

So in 2019 despite Kyler leading the league in air yard percentage (73% air yards) he was 25th in throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down. with 60% of passes on 3rd down short.

Only 4 QB's under 50% though with the average around 57%. Were not talking huge differentials for Kyler though. His Average YTG was 7.7 and is average air yards was 7.4 so only half a yard short.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On the CBS pregame show yesterday their insider said 'league sources were surprised that FIVE YEAR extensions were given after ONE winning season.'

Ya think?!?

There is no context in this though.

Kliff took over the worst team in the league picking #1 overall. In the 3 seasons before he was extended he also only had 1 losing season. The team improved drastically every season and at the end of last season had a winning record and was the 4th best pro merger coach in Cardinals history.

I get if you look at the record of coaches talking over teams picking #1 there aren;t many that are much better than Kliffs after year 3. (I've just had a quick scan and the only recent ones I can see are Andy Reid who took over the Chiefs in '13 but they didn't draft a QB. He had a better record than Zac Taylor/Joe Burrow after 3 years. Better than Jim Schwartz with Stafford).

Contracts get done with a year left on them and while Kliff was by no means perfect I think if we are fair we can understand why Mike did what he did. We might not agree but if you go back to that point it's not too difficult to see why.

It's not really a mistake though. Mike can fire them both and not blink an eye. The money involved is peanuts in NFL terms. Mike burned $17m in guarantees to Josh Rosen then game $32m more of them to the shortest QB ever to play in the modern NFL with 1 year of college experience. He's not bothered about the money.

Look at Matt Rhule. The Panthers were on the hook for a massive sum and they already lost it off the books. Kliff would get another college job in no time and the money Keim earns is probably about the same as the annual jet fuel bill.

It's always a gamble but not really a mistake. Mike thought he would rather have them locked up rather than risk losing them at the end of the year and it didn't work out and he'll lose a bit of money. Can you imagine what fans would be saying if we went 13-4 this year and made the NFC title game and Kliff walked for nothing to the Bucs or Andy Reid has a heart attack (not unlikely) and he went to the Chiefs?

More concerning to me is Mike's ego.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the new magical word now for something wrong is schematics? What does that even mean in football language?
I assume it means Kyler didn’t know what the heck was going on and Kliff didn’t know what the heck was going on. In other words FUBAR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose