Cardinals at Vikings gameday thread 10-30-22

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I ask this to the Kliffy defenders; what exactly is it that you are defending here???? What has done well? What has done well proven success in the past? Has he shown to be a good leader? Motivator ? Creative play caller ? Anything ? I don’t care about the rest of the team.. what has he done well? B cause someone told you he was a creative genius ? Seems about it

What did he do to lose the game yesterday?

Did Kliff underthrow a pass by 15 yards leading to an INT on 1st and 10 inside our own 10 only down 4 when there was absolutely no need to do it?

Did he botch a snap on 3rd down in the red zone?

Did he muff a punt that led to 7 for the Vikings?

Did he throw a bad INT to Ertz then try blame it on him?

Curious what exactly you think Kliff did to lose this game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I feel a bit for our D from one respect

Forced a punt at a crucial time in the last quarter. Dortch fumbles the punt and suddenly we are back out there in awful field position, concede a touchdown
I'd feel bad for the D, but they crapped their own bed, numerous times in this game, including a bad start yet again. As someone on this thread said, this was truly a team loss.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Did Kliff underthrow a pass by 15 yards leading to an INT on 1st and 10 inside our own 10 only down 4 when there was absolutely no need to do it?

While I like Kliff, I have to admit that I don't like his play calling. Also, don't like that he tries to be BOTH HC and OC as it's not working. I did get a laugh when he said that he would consider giving up play calling. And, I guess he considered it for about a minute. Needless to say the Arizona media never followed up on "Kliff's consideration". In NY sports writers would be asking that question until they got an answer that fans could understand. I do like Kliff and I think the team plays hard for him, but he has a blind spot when it comes to play calling. I know that the MN coach was a former NE QB, but he doesn't call plays.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No QB has all the time in the world. The league average pressure rate is 21% and Kyler is below that coming into this game.

This team is exactly as bad as its QB is playing. Kyler was better today which was why we were in the game but his mistakes cost us.

We lost by a score after giving away 2 bad interceptions, one of which they scored from, and a muffled punt. That was the game.

The coaches can only put players in a position to win. The opportunity was there and the players squandered it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The video nails it. Wide open checkdown on first down.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I like Kliff, I have to admit that I don't like his play calling. Also, don't like that he tries to be BOTH HC and OC as it's not working. I did get a laugh when he said that he would consider giving up play calling. And, I guess he considered it for about a minute. Needless to say the Arizona media never followed up on "Kliff's consideration". In NY sports writers would be asking that question until they got an answer that fans could understand. I do like Kliff and I think the team plays hard for him, but he has a blind spot when it comes to play calling. I know that the MN coach was a former NE QB, but he doesn't call plays.

Screens aside what don't you like about the play calling?

I agree that all screens should be banned. We don't have the WR's capable of blocking to run them. But the reality is that there are only 3-4 a game. They just stick in the memory.

But for the other 60+ plays I often find that when people say "bad play call" what they normally mean is "the result of that play call sucked". That's not to say there are not bad play calls, there are, every team has them.

But I'd say 90% of the time those "bad calls" are actually just badly executed plays.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's not the plays, per se, it's the time that he takes in selecting and then calling in the plays. Seems to always/often result in Kyler not having time to call and execute the play, thus having to call an early timeout. It shouldn't happen as often as it does. I look at it as by doing both jobs, it takes away time from both jobs. I know I'm not doing a VG job in explaining my position, but hope you understand my point.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am curious last year when Whipple called the game against the Browns, I wonder if they had to call timeouts due to getting a play in?

What I recall, we pretty much were fluid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not the plays, per se, it's the time that he takes in selecting and then calling in the plays. Seems to always/often result in Kyler not having time to call and execute the play, thus having to call an early timeout. It shouldn't happen as often as it does. I look at it as by doing both jobs, it takes away time from both jobs. I know I'm not doing a VG job in explaining my position, but hope you understand my point.

ALL those wasted time outs are on Kyler. What do people think is happening here?

The plays are in with 15 seconds to go at least because the mic cuts off. The players are all lined up with the clock winding down to 0 and Kyler just doesn't get the play off because he isn't aware of the play clock.

I'm not sure how anyone thinks it's anything other than Kyler. Can anyone recall a single one of these where everyone wasn't lined up and it's just waiting on Kyler calling the snap?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am curious last year when Whipple called the game against the Browns, I wonder if they had to call timeouts due to getting a play in?

What I recall, we pretty much were fluid.

It's nothing to do with getting the play in. The play is always in well before 15 seconds is left to run on the play clock.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
When a team is constantly screwing up like this one, the only thing the coaches can do is scale back the complexity of the plays because the players can't run them smoothly. Kliff does not have complex plays in themselves, he has too many damn variants of the same play is my guess which makes it hard for the offense to have any kind of efficiency. He has done and said this before, but his next comment will be along the lines of scaling things back and simplifying the offense

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Can you answer my questions without questions please???

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There seems to be stats for just about everything, and I'm wondering if there is one that measures how long it takes to call in a play? And, since Kyler is a running QB, does it take longer for him, since he has to catch his breath? And often he's returning to the huddle after running out of bounds. Again, that takes more time than a 'pocket' QB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There seems to be stats for just about everything, and I'm wondering if there is one that measures how long it takes to call in a play? And, since Kyler is a running QB, does it take longer for him, since he has to catch his breath? And often he's returning to the huddle after running out of bounds. Again, that takes more time than a 'pocket' QB.
The fact that Kyler was needing to wear a wristband this game to help with the huddling aspect of the offense should tell you what you need to know.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that Kyler was needing to wear a wristband this game to help with the huddling aspect of the offense should tell you what you need to know.

This.

Kyler didn't start wearing a playbook wristband for the fun of it.

Which is sad AF in year 4 because Kliff has one of the easiest verbiages and easy to understand schemes in the league from a play calling aspect.

It also brings into perspective why Kyler seems happier running no a huddle offense.

WeBlitz

Rookie
Reaction score
This.

Which is sad AF in year 4 because Kliff has one of the easiest verbiages and easy to understand schemes in the league from a play calling aspect.

It also brings into perspective why Kyler seems happier running no a huddle offense.
How in the hell do you even know this? Are you going to all 32 coaching meetings and receiving input from these guys? Or is this just you with your usual “throw stuff at the wall” posts and believe it makes sense?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This.

And you KNOW this how?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And you KNOW this how?

He doesn't. He hates Kyler so is under the constant assumption that Kyler is the one to blame in every single instance.

Because Kliff's playbook and verbiage is well known. It's based on air raid principles. It's been brought up many times in interviews over the last 3.5 years. Both with Kliff and Kyler.

It's how they can play so much no huddle. They have play calls that Kyler can call just with a hand signal. You probably saw him doing bulls horns last night (either that or he was jerking a couple of guys off). Or they can just muddle huddle and Kyler shouts "64".

He has plays that are just numbers (66H, 83, 64) and variations off that (65 Axle, 65H Arrow) he has plays just called Bubble, Chicago, Diesel, Dragon, Izzie (guessing this was an IG model), Indy Pump (Also maybe an IG model experience), Naked Pump (another IG experience), Sting, Twist, Chrome, Colt, Curly etc. He has/had a play called "Chains" which I'm sure you can guess what the concept looks like. We've seen it often enough.

It's literally high school level verbiage. It's the way college plays are designed because they don't get them from a speaker in their helmet like in the NFL. There's no "flip right double-X jet 36 counter naked waggle seven X quarter" for Kyler to recall.

From a Kyler's perspective it's great. It's exactly the same way you called plays your whole career. All you got to do is remember that "83" is the Y running a 12 yard dig, Z running a 15 yard In and H is running a 5 yard pivot.

But it's tough on everyone else. A typical NFL verbiage would contain shifts, the route concepts, the protections, the snap count, the alerts, the check-with-me's etc. Kliff's have none of that.

It's also why I keep saying that Kyler couldn't cope with a new HC. Unless you restrict your HC search to Lincoln Riley or similar.

He can't handle this Playskool playbook. No way on this earth could Kyler handle a fully fleshed out NFL offense without years of adjustment. Not because he can't, because he never had to and now he's entrenched in this system.

Talking about this reminded me of this clip from years ago. This must be 2015. Watch Cam Newton describe everything he is doing pre snap. In my opinion none of this is happening with Kyler.

And no @urs I don't hate Kyler. I just know he's playing poorly and understand what he isn't doing as a quarterback that he should be in year 4. Your only had to look at the difference between Cousins pre snap and Kyler pre snap in yesterdays game to see that.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose