Arizona Cardinals @ Carolina Panthers Pregame Thread. 9/26/22-10/02/22

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals CB isn't a total disaster.

I think Murphy has been totally underrated, because it's not like Wilson had been good.

These stats are vs the Rams. We pretty much shut Kupp and Robinson down. Same vs Raiders with Adams and Renfrow. Even the Chiefs really. Juju had 79 yards granted but thats the only WR1 or WR2 that have got 50+ yards on us this year.

It's been all TE and WR4's that have hurt us.

Once we get Mullen up to speed and Hamilton back we should see a big improvement there.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is what I've been saying!

A significant part of what makes Murray a once-in-a-generation talent is his freakish running ability, and we're not using it!

We especially need it in the Red Zone!
Well, he's not. He's effective when he's utilizing his legs, but that's a pretty damning statistic when it comes to his ability to purely throw the ball.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If you say so...

He has the athletic ability to completely change the game. I don't mean a game, the game. He doesn't have the mind at the moment. He may never.
If he were a RB or a WR, that kind of athleticism to be transcendent. As a QB, running ability can be a great booster. First and foremost, however, you have to be a good quarterback. He's not that right now, and he might never be. He's not a "generational" or "transcendent" talent until he actually is one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Nice thread.

1st play we already discussed was on Kyler.

2nd play he says Dortch open but interior pressure stops it. But if you watch it and pause Dortch is open before the pressure. And considering all the routes are coming from the right to the left why does he break out to the right? Who does he think will be there?

This one is the McBride wide open miss. Excuse makers need to drop this "constant pressure" narrative. It's nonsense.

Kyler again not going through his read and just throwing to the "alert"

This is an awful playcall but also Kyler should have audibled. You have Ertz being covered by a linebacker.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be clear here, I love those shows and watch them when I want a laugh

Because they are funny. Seinfeld is not.

Seinfeld always felt like some kind of weird New York humor inside joke thing. I always imagined only people from the Northeast got it. It was the only explanation I could come up with as to why it was so popular.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, he's not. He's effective when he's utilizing his legs, but that's a pretty damning statistic when it comes to his ability to purely throw the ball.
I don't think that's really it.

When Murray runs, the offense is dynamic. When he isn't running, it's usually that the offense isn't playing well.

It's kind of a chicken or the egg though.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL… THE game? Sorry, but this is ludicrous. The reality is his lack of size means he doesn’t have the PHYSICALITY to change the game because that lack of size makes his mind too scared to ever get the most out of his talent.

And even if he ever DID become tough enough to take more risks running, he’s STILL not big enough to take the pounding his body would take.

Like it or not, his lack size is exactly what keeps him from being a generational anything.
All of this. Add in his lack of football IQ displayed so far and there is no way he can legitimately be labeled a "generational" talent. No way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL… THE game? Sorry, but this is ludicrous. The reality is his lack of size means he doesn’t have the PHYSICALITY to change the game because that lack of size makes his mind too scared to ever get the most out of his talent.

And even if he ever DID become tough enough to take more risks running, he’s STILL not big enough to take the pounding his body would take.

Like it or not, his lack size is exactly what keeps him from being a generational anything.

It's obvious in the videos that are above. That crossing route to Dortch is an easy 1st down if he is taller, but his height restricts his view and his throwing angles.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This tells the story. And some of it is the play calls. Other parts is the decisions and struggles of Kyler. Ultimately, the reason our offense struggles without Kyler running is because he isn't a timing and rhythm QB that he needs to be in this offense at the NFL level.

Now, is it fixable, yes and no. But it requires three that I don't believe will happen. 1 - Kliff seriously tweaking his scheme to more play-action based. 2 - Kliff forcing Kyler to change. 3 - Kyler being willing to change. Because we have not seen evidence of any of these three things changing, I don't believe they will.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
This tells the story. And some of it is the play calls. Other parts is the decisions and struggles of Kyler. Ultimately, the reason our offense struggles without Kyler running is because he isn't a timing and rhythm QB that he needs to be in this offense at the NFL level.

Now, is it fixable, yes and no. But it requires three that I don't believe will happen. 1 - Kliff seriously tweaking his scheme to more play-action based. 2 - Kliff forcing Kyler to change. 3 - Kyler being willing to change. Because we have not seen evidence of any of these three things changing, I don't believe they will.
a little something for every pov in that thread

a few playcalls are just awful

on every third down, there is at least one good option -- the crosser to Dorch almost looks like that was the intent of that play: the left side of the field is cleared out, his coverage guy is trailing and you have an easy throw to a guy who has been awesome in RAC. I agree with Brit on that play: its open prior to pressure IF Kyler anticipates who will be open based on post snap coverage.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think if you are an owner deciding on a giant contract and you see enough of this kinda film -- you might want assurances on prep time by your QB

btw: I am convinced that opposing defensive coordinators know that on 3rd down, a given look will trigger a deep down the sideline throw, and roll that out there regularly. I makes sense: even when you arent expecting it, that throw has a 30% or so (IIRC) completion % -- likely way lower when you are expecting it, especially when you consider the status of the guys good at the jump ball situation for the Cards: Hop is out, Wesley is injured and AJ Green cant catch anything these days. Everyone else is 5'9"

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It also shows why Colt McCoy can have success in this scheme.
Depends on how high the ceiling the scheme takes you. I don’t think it’s high & sustainable, especially for a lengthy period of time. Evidence has shown that under Kliff dating back to college.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Because they are funny. Seinfeld is not.

Seinfeld always felt like some kind of weird New York humor inside joke thing. I always imagined only people from the Northeast got it. It was the only explanation I could come up with as to why it was so popular.

Seinfeld is funny, and yes, clearly, you don't get it. ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Again, if you say so.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose