Arizona Cardinals @ Las Vegas Raiders pregame thread. 9/11/22-9/17/22

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The worst part of the trade is that Creed Humphrey has become one of the best centers in the league his rookie year AND was available when the Cardinals selected in the third round....meaning the Cardinals could have just signed a cheap vet and drafted Humphrey and saved $10 mil per season.
Yep. It just goes to to show that there IS a plan, but it's a consistently bad plan. That's almost worse than having no plan, because then maybe Keim could sit down and figure out a plan. Having a bad plan just perpetuates lousy roster building.

Edit: Now, granted, I probably would've gone ballistic if we just signed a cheap vet heading into the draft...lol

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep. It just goes to to show that there IS a plan, but it's a consistently bad plan. That's almost worse than having no plan, because then maybe Keim could sit down and figure out a plan. Having a bad plan just perpetuates lousy roster building.

Edit: Now, granted, I probably would've gone ballistic if we just signed a cheap vet heading into the draft...lol
It's Keim time :cool:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The worst part of the trade is that Creed Humphrey has become one of the best centers in the league his rookie year AND was available when the Cardinals selected in the third round....meaning the Cardinals could have just signed a cheap vet and drafted Humphrey and saved $10 mil per season.

Humphrey went in the 2nd mate

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keims failure in the draft will always cash strap this team who will always have cap space but need to sign 40 players every year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The simple answer is that Simmons isn't a player that you want thinking. Let him be an athlete. Giving him a the green dot is a massive mistake.

As @Chopper0080 has stated in the past, there is a massive disconnect between what Vance needs for his D and what he gets. Simmons and Collins are both OLBs.

I agree that it looks like the green dot is a mistake. Thinking shouldn't erase technique though. Technique, through practice, should be automatic.

There were several times in this game where he looked like a random guy playing ball for the first time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree that it looks like the green dot is a mistake. Thinking shouldn't erase technique though. Technique, through practice, should be automatic.

There were several times in this game where he looked like a random guy playing ball for the first time.
But then who gets the green dot, if neither of our 1st-round ILBers are capable?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But then who gets the green dot, if neither of our 1st-round ILBers are capable?

It doesn't have to be a LB. A bunch of teams have a safety wear the green dot. It should always have been Budda, he's the leader on this defense, or Jalen at least.

At the same time I'm a big believer in learning by doing. If we want Simmons to get better then maybe the best way is to let him learn the hard way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a LB. A bunch of teams have a safety wear the green dot. It should always have been Budda, he's the leader on this defense, or Jalen at least.

At the same time I'm a big believer in learning by doing. If we want Simmons to get better then maybe the best way is to let him learn the hard way.
That's my biggest issue with the handling of both Simmons and Collins. They need to play.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worked out pretty well!

I thought the D line was the worst of the problems vs the Chiefs. Hard to get home when there is always someone open (looking at you Simmons).

Zach Allen had 4 pressures, 2 Hurries and 2 knock downs.
Kennard had 2 pressures and 2 hurries in limited snaps.
Golden had 2 pressures and 2 knockdowns.
Dimukeje had 2, 1, 1.
Gardeck had 4 pressures, 3 hurries and 1 knockdown despite only playing 20 snaps.

They did ok, considering. But the backfield has to cover better.

Allen and Gardeck are actually both top 10 in pressure through the first week. Allen is top 10 in QBKD's and Gardeck top 10 in Hurries too.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's my biggest issue with the handling of both Simmons and Collins. They need to play.

Granted they don't have to make it harder for him than it has to be.

This "We think you are Derwin James" strategy seems flawed, because he clearly isn't. Just play him at LB for now.

What I can't work out is this. Which one of these options is what happened?

a) He played "Star" backer all through camp and did it well enough to the point they were confident it would work vs the Chiefs.
b) They did this during camp but he was just as trash and they thought "Screw it, I'm sure it will work out".

The only realistic option is that he played well in camp but just crapped the bed on Sunday right? Maybe he can do it, and has done it at a high level in practice but just had a terrible game?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I thought the D line was the worst of the problems vs the Chiefs. Hard to get home when there is always someone open (looking at you Simmons).

Dimukeje had 2, 1, 1.
Gardeck had 4 pressures, 3 hurries and 1 knockdown despite only playing 20 snaps.

When you rush players like Mahomes, Wilson, and Murray, you have to rush disciplined and as a unit. Don't over pursue, and don't give a crease to escape.

We've seen teams do this to Kyler, but even when the Cardinals defense has played well under Vance, they're terrible at this.

Remember years ago under Bowles, when the Cardinals would play the Seahawks, they would get a bunch of sacks on Wilson because they didn't give him anywhere to go.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Granted they don't have to make it harder for him than it has to be.

This "We think you are Derwin James" strategy seems flawed, because he clearly isn't. Just play him at LB for now.

What I can't work out is this. Which one of these options is what happened?

a) He played "Star" backer all through camp and did it well enough to the point they were confident it would work vs the Chiefs.
b) They did this during camp but he was just as trash and they thought "Screw it, I'm sure it will work out".

The only realistic option is that he played well in camp but just crapped the bed on Sunday right? Maybe he can do it, and has done it at a high level in practice but just had a terrible game?
It's a completely different scenario when you line up against a foreign offense though.

He probably looked great playing against an offense he knows pretty well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Dimukeje had 2, 1, 1.

Allen and Gardeck are actually both top 10 in pressure through the first week. Allen is top 10 in QBKD's and Gardeck top 10 in Hurries too.
With all that impressive play up front, it's really shocking we gave up five passing TDs and 4.8 YPC rushing.