Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bogdan Bogdanovich is the Hawks primary 6th man/scorer after the Huerter trade. He’s not getting moved.

Maybe it’s just timing but every time I watch Bojan I come away impressed. He’s about as complete of an offensive player as a 4-5th option can get. The Suns in their current form would be the best roster he’s been on.

I appreciate Crowder for all he’s done but I’ve never been his biggest fan. He’s more of an irritant than a great defender and he spends too much time on the ground. It’s not a significant upgrade but one I wouldn’t lose sleep over trading the 27-30th pick for.

If it were only the 27-30th pick and filler, I don't think there would be this much frustration. My guess is the Jazz want Crowder, expiring contracts and two first round picks for Bojan.

Just say no and look elsewhere.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Jerry loved Ainge. I can’t help but think what the past would’ve looked like if he hired Danny over Bryan to run the show.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If the Suns could add LaMarcus Aldridge and a playmaker/shooter, the results would probably be about the same.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
The Utah Jazz and Danny Ainge are not the only game in town.

Hopefully, James Jones is continuing to explore trade options league wide.

However, as fans, all we know is what the media sources tell us.

I think this is a good point that is often lost.

There's a thin line between thinking you know and realizing the only way you know is from media reports.

The media & its sources get plenty of attention from sending us on wild goose chases like we suppose to know every intricate detail going on behind the scenes....instead of us just enjoying what's happening on the court. No, teams are not going pick players based on what I think so no need to get mad when my team wins without him.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think this is a good point that is often lost.

There's a thin line between thinking you know and realizing the only way you know is from media reports.

The media & its sources get plenty of attention from sending us on wild goose chases like we suppose to know every intricate detail going on behind the scenes....instead of us just enjoying what's on the court. No, teams are not going pick players based on what I think so no need to get mad when my team wins without him.

I think serious fans have a good idea of what the Suns need as a team. What we don't know is which players are available, the asking price and all the moving parts to put a trade together. Of course, it takes at least two teams willing to make a trade work.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns could add LaMarcus Aldridge and a playmaker/shooter, the results would probably be about the same.
Come on. LaMarcus Aldridge is ancient and is a free agent for a reason. He is nowhere close to equivalent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Come on. LaMarcus Aldridge is ancient and is a free agent for a reason. He is nowhere close to equivalent.

I'm talking about a player who might be available as a free agent and leave the Suns an opportunity to make another deal later.

Aldridge can still shoot. Bojan is not a good defender or rebounder either.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more I think about the more I like the idea of acquiring Bojan. He did well with two stars in Mitchel and Gob. We have two guys in Book and DA. He’d fit right in.

Damn his rebounds per game. We have guys that can’t rebound so it’d be a lateral move in that department. But he provides so much more than Crowder or Shamet could. He could easily be our 3-5th option on offense and would allow bridges to do what he does best.

I don’t care about one draft pick, we are in win now mode. We have the core back and have to make a run at this. No time to stand pat and wait for crumbs at the trade deadline. If you can pick up a guy who helps spread the floor and is a true threat you have to do it.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns second unit
Crowder: upset about losing starting job will play hard.
Saric: playing at the three point line
Shamet: Had a bad year but I like him. If he will just set on his three pointer.
Iron man Bridges playing the hole game at the three point line.
Payne: has the speed to go to the hole. hopefully he figured out how to go right.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many agree with me that it's probably just money that leads the FO to continually refuse (apparently) to sign the two good garbage-pile point-guard prospects available, Dennis Schroder and Kemba Walker? I don't know the particulars of the status Walker's knee (or what the injury was in the first place); but if it can be rehabbed and kept healthy, the famous Suns medical staff would do it. He probably just won't take the sort of money that Damion Lee, Josh Okogie, etc. accepted.

Schroder...he's no Chris Paul but he's obviously better than Payne. But didn't Schroder have to take a huge pay cut to have an NBA job at all, last season? I'm supposing that he did so only reluctantly and resentfully. He probably drew a line and refused to accept another minimum.

And the Suns' financial status...that's even more significant. They were already paying luxury tax, and then the Pacers' offer forced them to give Ayton a huge contract that they can only hope he'll earn. I bet they aren't willing to offer anyone at all more than minimum salary right now. If even that. After the last wave of minimum contracts, perhaps Robert Sarver said "Enough. I don't care who's available, I'm not paying another cent. We're going with who we've got." Even if Walker, Schroder or other prospects actually would take minimum deals.
I can honestly say I don't agree with a single one of your comments in this post. You seem intent on finding simple answers for every situation, life and sports are never like that.

With Sarver, money will ALWAYS be a consideration but thanks to the huge TV paydays it's no longer the only consideration. And not every player is standing in line to sign a minimum deal or take the mid-level exception with us - and we are constrained by salary cap rules of doing much more than that.

Right now, the market is so bare for Walker that the Pistons can't even save enough money by buying him out to consider doing it until. Until at least one serious suitor appears he'll likely remain on their roster but without seeing the court. His knees are in bad shape, if anyone believed he could overcome all the damage plus the arthritis, he'd definitely be a target for many teams.

I'd probably take the gamble on Dennis Schroeder but his track record is worse than spotty at best. You could easily do far more damage to the chemistry of this team by adding him than doing nothing at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The Suns will be paying Deandre Ayton more money, but I'm hopeful the increased salary cap and luxury tax beginning next season will encourage the Suns to get Cam Johnson extended before the regular season begins.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Those are big losses. Klay should hopefully come back better than last year.
And likely kuminga, wiseman and moody (particularly kuminga) take steps forward. And they nabbed jamychal green. Imagine GS with legit big men.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But isn't the discussion about the performance of the GM, not how great the West is? And for the most part, the West is better simply because of a) guys coming back from injury and b) player improvement. Nothing to do with the GM.
I think the logic is: jones gets a poor grade not because other gms did anything, but because the rest of the west is going to be so much better (regardless of the reasons) and the suns arguably got worse. It’s the gm’s job to make certain his team keeps pace with, or gets better than, the competition.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the logic is: jones gets a poor grade not because other gms did anything, but because the rest of the west is going to be so much better (regardless of the reasons) and the suns arguably got worse. It’s the gm’s job to make certain his team keeps pace with, or gets better than, the competition.
I don't believe the Suns got worse at all but yeah, I agree that many of the top teams improved more than we did. But most of them had more work to do than we did. It's always the case that the chasers have to take bigger risks. The problem is we view ourselves here as chasers because of our late year struggles and it remains to be seen whether that's really the case.

I look at what Utah did this offseason and am glad we didn't go that route. We have more reasons to run it back and try to make mild improvements come the trade deadline than to take drastic risks in hopes that they will solve our weaknesses.

Who knows if JJ's approach will pay off. We could very well be just one year behind Utah with a complete rebuild on the near horizon but I believe the smart move is to stay the course for at least one more season. Bowing out of the playoffs like we did was embarrassing but we've bottomed out before, it's not a fun ride.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
And likely kuminga, wiseman and moody (particularly kuminga) take steps forward. And they nabbed jamychal green. Imagine GS with legit big men.

Also, I like the addition of Donte DiVincenzo.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't believe the Suns got worse at all but yeah, I agree that many of the top teams improved more than we did. But most of them had more work to do than we did. It's always the case that the chasers have to take bigger risks. The problem is we view ourselves here as chasers because of our late year struggles and it remains to be seen whether that's really the case.

I look at what Utah did this offseason and am glad we didn't go that route. We have more reasons to run it back and try to make mild improvements come the trade deadline than to take drastic risks in hopes that they will solve our weaknesses.

Who knows if JJ's approach will pay off. We could very well be just one year behind Utah with a complete rebuild on the near horizon but I believe the smart move is to stay the course for at least one more season. Bowing out of the playoffs like we did was embarrassing but we've bottomed out before, it's not a fun ride.
I don’t know how you can say we didn’t get worse when we replaced mcgee with jock landale. On a per minute basis mcgee had an outstanding season. Like you think everyone here is unduly impacted by the suns late season failures I think you minimize mcgees impact for the same reason.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I don’t know how you can say we didn’t get worse when we replaced mcgee with jock landale. On a per minute basis mcgee had an outstanding season. Like you think everyone here is unduly impacted by the suns late season failures I think you minimize mcgees impact for the same reason.
And a lousy playoffs. It's very possible that Landale will be more effective for us in the playoffs when it really matters.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And then I guess Lee and Okogie or just bonuses, considering we got them without having to give anyone up. I suppose Aaron Holiday was replaced, but he didn't play anyway.

I think we are only marginally worse talent-wise up and down the roster, but as far as playoffs go, we've lost virtually nothing. We really need to figure out what happened and fix it -- acquiring a single guy isn't going to fix that, unless you are a superstar from Brooklyn.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And a lousy playoffs. It's very possible that Landale will be more effective for us in the playoffs when it really matters.
That would be great. It’s also virtually a pipe dream.

Also, everyone else was virtually lousy in the playoffs. The only reason anyone has to dismiss mcgees performance as unimportant to the suns success last season is to be a homer imo. The guy averaged 9pts and 7rebs and 1 block in 16 minutes. Those are like all star level per minute stats. But yeah, we won’t skip a beat without him bc landale is bringing his 5/2.6/0.3 in 11 minutes to town.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And then I guess Lee and Okogie or just bonuses, considering we got them without having to give anyone up. I suppose Aaron Holiday was replaced, but he didn't play anyway.

I think we are only marginally worse talent-wise up and down the roster, but as far as playoffs go, we've lost virtually nothing. We really need to figure out what happened and fix it -- acquiring a single guy isn't going to fix that, unless you are a superstar from Brooklyn.
Those two are JAGs. They’re end of bench guys. They aren’t rotation guys. They aren’t going to see the court much. Who are they taking minutes from? Book? Bridges? Cam Johnson? Even shamet or Payne? Likely not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think the return of Dario Saric has to be factored into the loss of McGee who can also play the 5.

It's not these players replace McGee, but he would have cost the Suns MLE type money.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Those two are JAGs. They’re end of bench guys. They aren’t rotation guys. They aren’t going to see the court much. Who are they taking minutes from? Book? Bridges? Cam Johnson? Even shamet or Payne? Likely not.
I'm just curious why you think only losing McGee but, as Mainstreet said, and getting Dario (as well as the rest) back makes us all that much more worse?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the return of Dario Saric has to be factored into the loss of McGee who can also play the 5.

It's not these players replace McGee, but he would have cost the Suns MLE type money.
Which we still haven’t spent.

And yes. You’re right, we should factor in saric. He doesn’t bring the same things, but he’s a legit rotation player.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn