Season Prediction

Reaction score
It’s really pathetic how this team has approached the 3rd year of Kyler’s rookie deal. Doing literally NOTHING on defense at Edge AND CB and next to nothing on the O-line while sitting on 17 million bucks in cap roo
in the off-season is almost too hard to believe. Especially coming off a playoff season when the team should be building on that season instead of running back… only with less talent.

I'm pretty sure they used draft picks on both of the bolded. A little over the top I think.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they used draft picks on both of the bolded. A little over the top I think.
no. its not. expecting 3rd draft picks to make any kind of impact at that position is setting yourself up for failure. especially considering how awful we've been drafting defensive players high in the draft the last couple years where the defense was "too complicated" for rookies to see a lot of time on the field.

Reaction score
no. its not. expecting 3rd draft picks to make any kind of impact at that position is setting yourself up for failure. especially considering how awful we've been drafting defensive players high in the draft the last couple years where the defense was "too complicated" for rookies to see a lot of time on the field.

I don't know. People complain when they don't start the youngins over the vets (see Simmons & Collins) but when we release older vets so the youngins can play they still complain it seems. Everybody was wondering why we kept Hicks & said let Simmons learn on the field & when they take that approach with our young edge guys people say the opposite. Just don't get it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. People complain when they don't start the youngins over the vets (see Simmons & Collins) but when we release older vets so the youngins can play they still complain it seems. Everybody was wondering why we kept Hicks & said let Simmons learn on the field & when they take that approach with our young edge guys people say the opposite. Just don't get it.
This isn’t a case of releasing guys because we have young guys already drafted ready to step up. That’s the situation at ILB. Also, those ILBs were high first round picks. These are THIRD DAY draft picks who have proven NOTHING in the NFL and have yet to play a single snap.

I’m sorry you don’t get the difference because this isn’t hard to understand.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This isn’t a case of releasing guys because we have young guys already drafted ready to step up. That’s the situation at ILB. Also, those ILBs were high first round picks. These are THIRD DAY draft picks who have proven NOTHING in the NFL and have yet to play a single snap.

No need to be so condescending.

It's like others have said time and time again this offseason: The Cardinals let Jones walk and are going with Gardeck, Dimukeje, Thomas, and Sanders to replace some of his production. Right or wrong, organizations sometimes have to take these leaps. Personally, I would have added a promising veteran to the group, but I can see the logic.

My bigger issue was waiting until now to attempt to fix CB. Yeah I know Gladney died, but frack, why wait until less than two weeks to address it? I'm glad that Keim found a promising veteran for little draft compensation, but I wish he had done more.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not really. Many of us understood why collins wasn’t playing, for just the same reason we have low expectations of draftees . . . apparently Joseph’s defense is complicated to pick up and rookies acclimate slowly.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Toughest schedule in the NFL - or is it? hawks and niners qb‘s are iffy, really don’t know either identity good or bad. Von Miller moved on from Rams, if all teams never won another game I would not quiver.

so my goal is always division winner and I think we have a great shot- don’t care if it’s 9-8 or 17 -0.
12-5 seems a good number.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure we might, but it’s guesswork and hope at best.
I've been a fan of this team long enough to know that this guesswork and hope is better than most of the guesswork and hope we've seen in the past.

Remember when the Cardinals tried to sell us on Tony McCoy as a big acquisition? Jason McAddley and Bryan Gilmore at WR? This isn't that.

The reason I won't pin down an exact prediction for the season is because of all of these variables. I think the offense is probably good enough on its own to hover plus or minus .500 (9-8 or 8-9). As much as Vance pisses me off on the micro calls, his overall body of work is pretty impressive. I think he can coach this defense to a league average ranking.

And Vance has a knack for scheming sacks in his defense, so I think he'll get some pass rush.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This team fits the "all gas, no brakes" cliche more than any I can remember.

The offense has a chance to be historically great if everyone stays relatively healthy and the O-line holds up.

The defense could be historically bad with a couple of key injuries to guys with histories of injuries.

I am saying 7-10.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
not only that, but taking Reddick out of the equation, this years team doesn’t have a guy who will draw doubles the way Redick did or make offenses account for him which led others in 2020 to get a better shot at the QB in single coverage (guys like Gardeck)

Reddick didn't draw doubles. He's had one of the lowest DT rates in the league the last 2 years. Practically none existent.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No need to be so condescending.

It's like others have said time and time again this offseason: The Cardinals let Jones walk and are going with Gardeck, Dimukeje, Thomas, and Sanders to replace some of his production. Right or wrong, organizations sometimes have to take these leaps. Personally, I would have added a promising veteran to the group, but I can see the logic.

My bigger issue was waiting until now to attempt to fix CB. Yeah I know Gladney died, but frack, why wait until less than two weeks to address it? I'm glad that Keim found a promising veteran for little draft compensation, but I wish he had done more.
Well, the times have changed from the condescending "be patient" posts from earlier in the offseason, the "tons of good talent will be available late" assurances. Reality has finally set in, eh? :)

Reaction score
To all the Kyler lovers this thread contradicts some of the statements. Brings us back to the Point of paying a guy top QB money in the league to not have winning/playoff winning season. A lot of us have the Cards not even going .500 so why the heck did we spend all the money? Name another QB who is considered best in League that would have losing seasons after being paid GODLY amounts of money? TOP QBs propel wins not the opposite. So long story short Cards in theory should be above .500 and in playoffs but A LOT of us cant even conceive how we get a .500 season. CHECKMATE kyler lovers. okay back to my dormant but occasional reader of this board.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
To all the Kyler lovers this thread contradicts some of the statements. Brings us back to the Point of paying a guy top QB money in the league to not have winning/playoff winning season. A lot of us have the Cards not even going .500 so why the heck did we spend all the money? Name another QB who is considered best in League that would have losing seasons after being paid GODLY amounts of money? TOP QBs propel wins not the opposite. So long story short Cards in theory should be above .500 and in playoffs but A LOT of us cant even conceive how we get a .500 season. CHECKMATE kyler lovers. okay back to my dormant but occasional reader of this board.
Drew Brees
DeShaun Watson

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, the times have changed from the condescending "be patient" posts from earlier in the offseason, the "tons of good talent will be available late" assurances. Reality has finally set in, eh? :)
I actually take the fact that they cut Kennard as a good sign. That means they believe that the younger guys have shown enough that they don't have to keep Kennard around.

Reaction score

SECOND DAY not THIRD DAY. ;)

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Collins was not a high first round pick...

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me what is so hard to understand and learn about VJ defensive scheme? What makes it so much harder for some people to grasp? What’s so different about it?

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I actually take the fact that they cut Kennard as a good sign. That means they believe that the younger guys have shown enough that they don't have to keep Kennard around.
I certainly hope you’re right. Kennard was not a great player, he was just ordinary, i.e. average. Still he’d played in plenty of big games and was steady. I can only hope the young guys develop to be that good.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Lost me at Hopkins not being a difference maker.
I guess that was sort of an off handed comment. What I meant is I think the offense will still be effective without him. Since the offense will be scoring enough to win without him I just don’t think it scores even more when he returns. In fact it will take a couple of games to integrate the new receiver routes. He obviously won’t make the Cards worse. I just don’t think it will change much. I hope he makes them unbeatable, but the defense won’t be improved.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I certainly hope you’re right. Kennard was not a great player, he was just ordinary, i.e. average. Still he’d played in plenty of big games and was steady. I can only hope the young guys develop to be that good.
Steady in his non-existence, in my opinion. I don't think we'll feel this loss at all. 100% the correct move to give reps to younger guys to see if they have potential.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me what is so hard to understand and learn about VJ defensive scheme? What makes it so much harder for some people to grasp? What’s so different about it?
It just depends on what position(s) have the most intellectual responsibility to free up other players to be instinctive. The defensive backs have fairly defined roles, so guys like Marco Wilson and Byron Murphy can step right in and play. The defensive linemen have defined gap assignments, so guys can come in and do their thing.

The linebackers have the read responsibilities to cover up the gaps in the run and the pass game that are created by the defined roles up front and behind. They have to determine whether it’s a run or pass and then make a second read to figure out where they’re supposed to be.

If they mess up, it’s a moderate play for the offense (because your secondary can come clean up).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard