Suns Off-season Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can be included with players if the salaries match. The Nets sign and traded D’Angelo Russell to Golden St. The Nets also sent Shabazz Napier to Golden St because they needed more salary to match KD’s salary.

Shabazz was a free agent also, not an existing contract. So he was signed and traded with Russell. We don't have the bird rights to any free agents to include with Ayton in a deal like that.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Shabazz was a free agent also, not an existing contract. So he was signed and traded with Russell. We don't have the bird rights to any free agents to include with Ayton in a deal like that.
They didn’t have his bird rights. Shabazz was under contract after signing a two year deal with the Nets before the 18-19’ season. He played his second year out with Minnesota and Washington.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm seeing Mavs fans who think they have a chance to get Ayton. They literally don't have a single player who would start for us. I like Dinwiddie as a 3rd ball handler, but literally nobody else.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Oh interesting.

If this team actually lands a legit superstar this off-season, I will never say a bad word about Flex again.

Hell, I’d even change my signature to IN FLEX WE TRUST.
Flex is just gassing up the fans right now. Some of the black and white stuff he says like “Book will play in game 6” is really all you can judge him on.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flex is just gassing up the fans right now. Some of the black and white stuff he says like “Book will play in game 6” is really all you can judge him on.
I don’t know how that “oh interesting” part got in there.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Flex seems like he actually does get SOME info before most. I trust him even tho I tease him. If he does have inside info i'm with it.
If he doesn't have inside info he's really efing good at pretending he does so I gotta give him props for that.
Either way I'm too drunk to give a ****, Ill be this way until October when ill sober up for a week or two to see what's up.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didn’t have his bird rights. Shabazz was under contract after signing a two year deal with the Nets before the 18-19’ season. He played his second year out with Minnesota and Washington.

His 2nd season was not guaranteed. So as a non-guaranteed contract his salary didn't count within the trade. They essentially traded his rights.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Maybe Flex's superstar is Towns, and the idea is to play him and Ayton together? I don't like the idea; just trying to find anything remotely plausible.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This mediocre Mavs team had us down 46 POINTS IN GAME 7.

The Suns had the Suns down 46 points. This Mavs team is nothing special, it was nothing special in our series. The Suns that we've seen for the better part of 2 years didn't show up. It's like we expected the Mavs to roll over dead after we smoked em in game 5. Instead we were "Glass Joe". Took a hard punch and collapsed.

It is revolting.

I don't know how to fix it but I know we can't roll it back.

But... I'd rather roll it back than lose Ayton for nothing or trade him for beans.

I can't stand Durant but if we could bumble into him forcing his way here that would be impossible to pass up.

Reaction score
I'm seeing Mavs fans who think they have a chance to get Ayton. They literally don't have a single player who would start for us. I like Dinwiddie as a 3rd ball handler, but literally nobody else.
I won't bother pointing out the obvious technical flaw in that statement, because I know you meant the other players.

As for Ayton: well, there is that Dwight Powell guy. Normally all one can say to Powell might be "get off the floor!" or "do something, will you!" But comparing Ayton to Powell, Powell suddenly appears to be a hard worker and impactful player.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The trade I saw for KD would be something like this:

Resigned Ayton, Cam, and Craig for KD. Other pieces we have (but obviously not all would be needed) would be Shamet, Payne, and Saric were all moveable for a package. After the draft we could also include our 23, 25, and 27 1st rounders if need be.

This also had to do with them not wanting to re-sign Kyrie. It would make it an easy decision to blow it all up. The youtube video had it spelled out in the middle somewhere.

Bridges, Paul, & Book would stay in all of his scenarios.

It may also require a few moves but it did work.

Reaction score
I can't stand Durant but if we could bumble into him forcing his way here that would be impossible to pass up.
Kevin Durant? That player who gave the world more evidence that superteams work, by helping his team defeat the Celtics and advance out of the first round?

I'm not saying it isn't true that this Suns group should have crawled off its court in shame, or that they deserve everyone's disrespect. I'm saying only that I personally got tired of playing armchair GM. Also that, for lacking the inside information that I'll never have because I don't work for the Phoenix Suns, I do not know what should be done with Ayton; and I admit it.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Flex seems like he actually does get SOME info before most. I trust him even tho I tease him. If he does have inside info i'm with it.
If he doesn't have inside info he's really efing good at pretending he does so I gotta give him props for that.
Either way I'm too drunk to give a ****, Ill be this way until October when ill sober up for a week or two to see what's up.
This season you’ve become my favorite ASFN poster.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
His 2nd season was not guaranteed. So as a non-guaranteed contract his salary didn't count within the trade. They essentially traded his rights.
The only reason he was in the trade was for his salary. If my math is correct, Russell’s first-year salary fell short of meeting the 125% rule of KD first-year salary. Additional salary was needed to complete the deal since GS was over the cap.
-
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I won't bother pointing out the obvious technical flaw in that statement, because I know you meant the other players.

As for Ayton: well, there is that Dwight Powell guy. Normally all one can say to Powell might be "get off the floor!" or "do something, will you!" But comparing Ayton to Powell, Powell suddenly appears to be a hard worker and impactful player.

Yeah. I didn't think it was necessary to include "aside from Luka".

Reaction score
Yeah. I didn't think it was necessary to include "aside from Luka".
Okay, I apologize. At least I made the rest of the comment worthwhile by insulting DeAndre Ayton. If coach is right that Ayton quit, he deserved that. Quitting is much worse than getting outplayed.

I just want to restate that the Suns probably shouldn't trade Ayton now, because selling low is never good. Garbage out, garbage in.

Reaction score
So, everyone says Monty Williams needs a good Xs-and-Os coach, since he isn't one. I wonder which coaches (who are available this summer) fit that bill. Any well-known names?

Williams is no Cotton Fitzsimmons.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, everyone says Monty Williams needs a good Xs-and-Os coach, since he isn't one. I wonder which coaches (who are available this summer) fit that bill. Any well-known names?

Williams is no Cotton Fitzsimmons.
Not to speak ill of the deceased but Cotton was no Cotton Fitzsimmons either. It was an important time for us and Cotton said all the right things but I really don't get the "legend" of Cotton that is almost revered here.

He was a decent coach throughout his long career but his teams won at a 52% clip during the regular season and he only won 42% of his playoff games.

Whether it was with the Suns, Atlanta, Buffalo, KC or San Antonio I don't believe his teams ever went further than a conference finals loss and most of the time his team either failed to make the postseason or was outed in the first round.

I'm not suggesting he was a failure by any means it's just that he doesn't seem to be measured by the same standards all of our other coaches have been.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to speak ill of the deceased but Cotton was no Cotton Fitzsimmons either. It was an important time for us and Cotton said all the right things but I really don't get the "legend" of Cotton that is almost revered here.

He was a decent coach throughout his long career but his teams won at a 52% clip during the regular season and he only won 42% of his playoff games.

Whether it was with the Suns, Atlanta, Buffalo, KC or San Antonio I don't believe his teams ever went further than a conference finals loss and most of the time his team either failed to make the postseason or was outed in the first round.

I'm not suggesting he was a failure by any means it's just that he doesn't seem to be measured by the same standards all of our other coaches have been.

I'm probably not going to be able to explain it properly, but Cotton's personality and openness endeared me to the game. He treated everyone the same. I think his ability to relate to the fans made him special. This can't always be measured in wins and losses.

Cotton did have an NBA 832–775 coaching record and was NBA Coach of the Year twice.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm probably not going to be able to explain it properly, but Cotton's personality and openness endeared me to the game. He treated everyone the same. I think his ability to relate to the fans made him special. This can't always be measured in wins and losses.

Cotton did have an NBA 832–775 coaching record and was NBA Coach of the Year twice.
I liked him a lot and for some of the same reasons. I just don't think he was all that special as an actual Coach. I think very highly of Monty, I'm not convinced he's anything special as a Coach either. But look at the difference in the way we talk about the two of them here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Cotton was a great coach for a building/rebuilding team.