Cardinals Economics - Kyler and the Future

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Seems to me everything the team has done to date is headed to one conclusion, creating enough cap space to sign Murray to a mega deal. It will chew up most of any remaining cap space. I don't expect the team to be looking to sign any bigger FAs and will be hunting to find maybe one or two cheap deals that can fit under what remaining space they have. It will be interesting to see how they approach the draft to try and fill holes created with the moves to date. They are also gambling on some players stepping up big in 2022.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He isn't playing on the current contract. His agent has said it. 98.7 has reported it multiple times.

There isn't an outcome where everyone else gets extended / resigned and Murray just accepts being the only guy that has to play it out.
Yeah I’m not sure that has a whole Lotta teeth behind it…

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Seems to me everything the team has done to date is headed to one conclusion, creating enough cap space to sign Murray to a mega deal. It will chew up most of any remaining cap space. I don't expect the team to be looking to sign any bigger FAs and will be hunting to find maybe one or two cheap deals that can fit under what remaining space they have. It will be interesting to see how they approach the draft to try and fill holes created with the moves to date. They are also gambling on some players stepping up big in 2022.
They don’t need to do anything to extend Kyler and create space. If that’s what they’re doing, this season is a huge tank job, because Mahomes and Allen had lower cap figures in the year they extended.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
They don’t need to do anything to extend Kyler and create space. If that’s what they’re doing, this season is a huge tank job, because Mahomes and Allen had lower cap figures in the year they extended.
What you said is true to a point where I agree Murray's 2022 cap hit would be lower than it is now however moving down the road it will start chewing cap space up substantially. For all we know Keim might be countering the initial proposal from team Murray with a shorter term higher up front offer. Maybe the team doesn't want to commit to Murray for a long term deal in case he doesn't improve over the long haul and it gives them an earlier out. More up front money which Murray may jump at.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
If Murray has any sense at all he will request a trade away from this incompetent franchise. They will never put a roster around him that is on par with the competition.
One could argue that he is a major reason why they havnt been successful.If they have to sign that baby to an extension then youll REALLY see this franchise burn to the ground

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Murray has any sense at all he will request a trade away from this incompetent franchise. They will never put a roster around him that is on par with the competition.
They just did last season.
One could argue that he is a major reason why they havnt been successful.If they have to sign that baby to an extension then youll REALLY see this franchise burn to the ground
Tempers must be pretty high around here for both of you to be this wrong.

Kyler is the primary reason we were successful last season.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
They just did last season.

Tempers must be pretty high around here for both of you to be this wrong.

Kyler is the primary reason we were successful last season.
Kyler is the reason for the hot start yes, when they figured out just blitz him he curls up and throws the ball to the defender. He is also the reason the cardinals failed last season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler is the reason for the hot start yes, when they figured out just blitz him he curls up and throws the ball to the defender. He is also the reason the cardinals failed last season.
I think a hypothesis that Colt McCoy starting against the Rams in the playoffs would result in anything more than a slightly less embarrassing loss is probably unfounded.

I just don’t think it’s fair to say the cards failed last season. They made the playoffs! That’s a success! If you reversed the order of wins and losses the season reads like an utter triumph.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could argue it, but you'd have a really tough time convincing a neutral of that...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think a hypothesis that Colt McCoy starting against the Rams in the playoffs would result in anything more than a slightly less embarrassing loss is probably unfounded.

I just don’t think it’s fair to say the cards failed last season. They made the playoffs! That’s a success! If you reversed the order of wins and losses the season reads like an utter triumph.
And if my aunt had balls . . .

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yes, one could argue that and rightly jump to your conclusion.

All one has to do is accept the premise of the first sentence, and from it extrapolate to what can't possibly be known at this time.

I'll pass on both.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm listening to arguments about what went wrong with the offense at the end of last season.

If it wasn't Kyler was it the receiving corp (losing Hopkins), the offensive line or the coaching?

DeAndre Hopkins, Zach Ertz and James Conner are coming back but I don't think that is enough with the current changes to improve.

I'm trying to figure it out as well. The one who should know is the GM.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
To date what has the team done as far as FAs are concerned.
Resigned two TEs (Ertz and Williams) one coming off of a serious injury
Resigned rotational DLine (Dogbe).
Resigned RB (Conner)
Resigned long snapper (Brewer)
Resigned Punter (Lee)
Resigned backup LB (Gardeck) who had for him a career year in 2021 with 7 sacks otherwise no other sacks in three other seasons.
Resigned backup QB (McCoy)
Released starting LB (Hicks)
Released DLine (Phillips)
Signed a CB (Gladney) who was not top free agent and didn't even play in 2021

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Resigned RB (Conner)
Resigned Punter (Lee)
Resigned backup LB (Gardeck) who had for him a career year in 2021 with 7 sacks otherwise no other sacks in three other seasons.
Yeas, this is why it feels like an unofficial tank year. They have to figure out Kylers major faults and correct them, break in Zaven Collins, develop Marco Wilson, and most likely develop young Rondale moore AND whoever draft pick ( Olave) they draft.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Resigned RB (Conner)
Resigned Punter (Lee)

Resign: to leave a job
Re-sign: to get a job. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave