OT: The NFL Combine Weekend thread. Mar 3 - Mar 6

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree... if you want the job then do the damned interview....otherwise just go sell cars.

unless you actually intended to be a professional basket weaver when you signed up for that major?

Right? For 38 years every player tested at the combine. Now since 2019 it's suddenly ok to say "Nah Bruv, I'm going to sit this out. I'm too good to test". Screw that.

In 5 years time your going to have half the first round not testing.

Do away with the combine all together for all I care, but if you're going to have a combine and 98% of invitees are going to participate I don't see why 2% should get away with not. So it should be mandatory if you want to enter the draft.

Pro day testing ain't worth crap.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you declare for the draft you have to compete at the combine. If you don't compete at the combine, your name is removed from the draft. Easy.

Now I wonder why the NFL hasn't used this cut-and-dried, gun-to-your-head approach?

Maybe it's because players not selected through the draft process would be FREE agents and sign with the highest bidder or a favoured location. And I doubt that the courts would uphold collusion by owners on behalf of the Combine, a manufactured event that simply makes scouting somewhat easier and increasingly a lucrative TV event.

Imagine the top end QBs saying no to the Combine because they don't want to join the worst team from the previous season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now I wonder why the NFL hasn't used this cut-and-dried, gun-to-your-head approach?

Maybe it's because players not selected through the draft process would be FREE agents and sign with the highest bidder or a favoured location. And I doubt that the courts would uphold collusion by owners on behalf of the Combine, a manufactured event that simply makes scouting somewhat easier and increasingly a lucrative TV event.

Imagine the top end QBs saying no to the Combine because they don't want to join the worst team from the previous season.

Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement college players get into the NFL by being drafted or by being subject to the draft and not being drafted, in which case a player is a free agent.

But it is not possible to "opt out" of the draft for the purpose of choosing which club you want to play for. That's not permitted under the system negotiated between the NFL and NFLPA.

No draft. No NFL.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement college players get into the NFL by being drafted or by being subject to the draft and not being drafted, in which case a player is a free agent.

But it is not possible to "opt out" of the draft for the purpose of choosing which club you want to play for. That's not permitted under the system negotiated between the NFL and NFLPA.

No draft. No NFL.

Read your earlier post. You would ban players from the draft unless they took part in the Combine.

Ergo: they are not opting out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Read your earlier post. You would ban players from the draft unless they took part in the Combine.

Ergo: they are not opting out.

Opt out was my wording.

The only path to the NFL is through the draft. Ergo, mandating the draft gives them no choice.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal. There's absolutely no reasonable excuse for these kids not to test at the combine. As every player has done for decades.

Why was it good enough for every college kid even until 2019 but not for the latest generations?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Opt out was my wording.

The only path to the NFL is through the draft. Ergo, mandating the draft gives them no choice.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal. There's absolutely no reasonable excuse for these kids not to test at the combine. As every player has done for decades.

Why was it good enough for every college kid even until 2019 but not for the latest generations?
Because it would take away from the video game/Twitch time for them. Old school was that, more often than not, the players lived, breathed and thought football 24/7. This new breed does not by and large. At least, that's IMHO.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Opt out was my wording.

It's not every player.

The Combine is by invitation.

Almost countless players past have been drafted without appearing at the Combine.

Given that it's by invitation to a select few, I see no issue with saying 'no thank you', and this in no way undermines entry to the NFL via the draft or UDFA.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, the 40 times yesterday were looking a little crazy, and now they've undergone some serious revisions. Olave from 4.26 to 4.39. That makes a lot more sense.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a silly argument.

If I went to interview for a company where it was known no facial hair was allowed then it would be up to me to follow that rule wouldn't it? In fact there are many jobs where beards are not allowed. Offshore oil workers, fire depts, many police forces, pilots etc

If you want to work in the NFL, you take the NFL testing. Simple as that. Same as every did for 38 years.

This "I'm not going to throw at the combine because I want to throw to my buddies on my pro day that we practiced 20 times in advance" is pure crap. If you can't turn up and throw a 20 yard out route to the best WR's of the year then you should probably call it quits.

And this really isn't a controversial opinion. For 38 years every player tested. There are no new reasons not to. Only invented ones.
No, it would be more like there was no policy on facial hair when you started with the job, and then management changed the policy to fit some narrative. You know, since there is no rule on participating in the combine, until you advocated for the change.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, it would be more like there was no policy on facial hair when you started with the job, and then management changed the policy to fit some narrative. You know, since there is no rule on participating in the combine, until you advocated for the change.

Sure, except I'm not advocating for instant change but for change next year. In which case everyone would know in advance.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure, except I'm not advocating for instant change but for change next year. In which case everyone would know in advance.

A letter that reads, if you receive an invitation to the Combine and decline you are barred from the draft?

Ergo: you can't be selected even though you're available, which effectively means you are a UDFA and free to sign with whomever.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Treylon Burks is going to be the best WR in this class.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Josh Weinfuss

@joshweinfuss
· 2h
The Cardinals had an informal meeting yesterday with ASU CB Chase Lucas, according to a source. Lucas is a local Arizona HS product, as well, and I was the told the meeting went “great.” The Cardinals are in the market for CBs so this makes a lot of sense for Arizona.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I heard the NFL wants to make this a destination a la the Draft where it hits city to city.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92