So What’s Wrong With Kyler Murray?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perspective, Aaron Rodgers is 16 years in the game, Kyler is only 3 years in. He might learn it, he might not.
What was Patrick Mahomes doing in year 3?
I didn't like the film comment by Kyler but I think people have taken it to an extreme and are now acting like he said I never watch film I don't need to.

Just 2 days ago I watched him in an interview say lots of people that have no idea what they're talking about are saying things right now. And "if you watch the film you know it's not true." He's saying we're not a bad team we're just not making the plays now we were earlier and we're beating ourselves with turnovers, penalties etc. But the KEY part of that is he literally said IF YOU WATCH THE FILM, in other words he is in fact watching film.

Again 2-3 games ago they apologized to us for giving the impression Kyler was looking at the ground on the sideline when he actually had the tablet down there and he was looking at it.

He needs to play better, he probably still needs to learn how to study film and hopefully Colt is helping there and hopefully they enlist someone like Warner in that. But I don't think this is Jake Plummer going to Denver, attending voluntary offseason workouts, and saying this is so much better than what we had in Arizona, and then having to admit to reporters he'd never actually attended them in his ENTIRE CAREER in Arizona.
there is a big difference between watching film and studying it Russ. Of course you can watch the film and go over what ya did last week in the game etc. they’re doing this in meetings he doesn’t have much of a choice. The difference is taking the extra time and studying the film for lengthy periods of time to understand defenses better and detect and observe trends etc…. Just saying he watch some film is not the same as studying it and becoming an expert in your craft… It is a big deal.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

there is a big difference between watching film and studying it Russ. Of course you can watch the film and go over what ya did last week in the game etc. they’re doing this in meetings he doesn’t have much of a choice. The difference is taking the extra time and studying the film for lengthy periods of time to understand defenses better and detect and observe trends etc…. Just saying he watch some film is not the same as studying it and becoming an expert in your craft… It is a big deal.
Pat Mahomes waited a year and had the best play caller and a ready made team ready for a good qb. And he also had 3 years in college. Stop it.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Again I didn't like his comment but he did NOT say I never watch film.

The kid played basically one full year of college ball, he was always in baseball practice when football season was out the idea that we were getting a polished QB was not one anybody should have had. if you look at his first year and compare it to what we got the prior year with similar talent on offense but with a rookie HC to boot it was pretty amazing given how little he played in college. He got better last year and he's gotten better again this year.

He needs to continue to play better and part of that is going to be watching film.

When i was watching the 4th quarter of that SB loss one of the things that was so impressive is how well Kurt reads defenses. The catch and run TD pass to Fitz that was one of the more amazing pre snap reads you will ever see, they detailed it after the play. The Steelers were playing 2 deep safety, the best defense in the NFL that year playing 2 deep to make sure nobody got deep behind them. Kurt read pre snap that the middle was goign to be open and from what they said audibled to have Arrington start like he was going to run another short route even though he delayed. The reason for that was to get the LB to step up, in this case it was harrison he took one step up and that was it, Fitz got behind Harrison, the safeties were so deep the middle was wide open Fitz in stride outran the safeties and a chasing Harrison to the end zone. Those are the kinds of plays we want to see from Kyler but again Kurt was 37, he'd played 11 seasons in the NFL plus prior minor pro seasons. He'd thrown over 3500 passes. At the point Kyler is at, Kurt wasn't even in the NFL let alone being a 3 year starter inheriting one of the worst offensive teams in NFL history(with a different coach) when he stepped in.

yes we want him to be able to do what Rodgers and Brady do but again they have so much more experience than he does it's not a surprise he's not there yet.

He needs to get better, play better, study better, but I think the quote about the film is being blown out of proportion people are acting like he said the iverson we're talking about practice quote but said it about watchign film.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Gotta be better examples of using a guy that sat when that team went 10-6 instead of getting drafted by the worst team.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again I didn't like his comment but he did NOT say I never watch film.

The kid played basically one full year of college ball, he was always in baseball practice when football season was out the idea that we were getting a polished QB was not one anybody should have had. if you look at his first year and compare it to what we got the prior year with similar talent on offense but with a rookie HC to boot it was pretty amazing given how little he played in college. He got better last year and he's gotten better again this year.

He needs to continue to play better and part of that is going to be watching film.

When i was watching the 4th quarter of that SB loss one of the things that was so impressive is how well Kurt reads defenses. The catch and run TD pass to Fitz that was one of the more amazing pre snap reads you will ever see, they detailed it after the play. The Steelers were playing 2 deep safety, the best defense in the NFL that year playing 2 deep to make sure nobody got deep behind them. Kurt read pre snap that the middle was goign to be open and from what they said audibled to have Arrington start like he was going to run another short route even though he delayed. The reason for that was to get the LB to step up, in this case it was harrison he took one step up and that was it, Fitz got behind Harrison, the safeties were so deep the middle was wide open Fitz in stride outran the safeties and a chasing Harrison to the end zone. Those are the kinds of plays we want to see from Kyler but again Kurt was 37, he'd played 11 seasons in the NFL plus prior minor pro seasons. He'd thrown over 3500 passes. At the point Kyler is at, Kurt wasn't even in the NFL let alone being a 3 year starter inheriting one of the worst offensive teams in NFL history(with a different coach) when he stepped in.

yes we want him to be able to do what Rodgers and Brady do but again they have so much more experience than he does it's not a surprise he's not there yet.

He needs to get better, play better, study better, but I think the quote about the film is being blown out of proportion people are acting like he said the iverson we're talking about practice quote but said it about watchign film.
I would say that it’s probably somewhere in the middle if anything… You’re saying it’s been blown out of proportion and your dismissing it as no big deal. When our franchise QB openly admitted he doesn’t watch/study too much film.That’s definitely a problem and It’s definitely a red flag.

You guys keep bringing up 1 year as a starter in college and 3 as a pro as an excuse as well. Do you think those other QBs you listed were devouring film and studying defenses early in their careers? I’m betting they were. And at what point can we dismiss that timeframe you list? 3 years as a starter in the NFL is a long time and a lot of experience. It’s enough to know how you should be fine tuning your craft already. Not saying he should know everything but he should be trying to by now and understand how to learn all he can. So what year can dismiss the “it’s only been this long” year 4? Year 5? What’s the magic number? And let’s not forget he’s playing in an offense designed just for him. A coach was hired just for him. He should have the easiest path of almost any young QB to excel.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perspective, Aaron Rodgers is 16 years in the game, Kyler is only 3 years in. He might learn it, he might not.

OK. Replace Rodgers with Wentz last week. Or Mahomes. Or Allen. Or Lamar.

All of whom have carried their teams in big games or in tough spells.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mahomes is on pace for nearly 5k yards and 40 TD’s while having the worst year of his career. Kinda unfair to use him as a comp to Kyler. He’s in a different galaxy.
No not really we’ve been told by everyone that Kyler is an all world next level transcendent QB talent. If that’s what is claimed and that’s what he supposedly is then we should absolutely be comparing him to guys that actually are…

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mahomes is on pace for nearly 5k yards and 40 TD’s while having the worst year of his career. Kinda unfair to use him as a comp to Kyler. He’s in a different galaxy.

Maybe if he worked as hard as Mahomes...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think it’s unbelievable he didn’t learn how to read a defense until halfway his 3rd season.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No not really we’ve been told by everyone that Kyler is an all world next level transcendent QB talent. If that’s what is claimed and that’s what he supposedly is then we should absolutely be comparing him to guys that actually are…

Just speaking for myself I never claimed they were in the same league. Not making excuses for Kyler for example I think guys like Allen and Burrow are showing better arc right now and Burrow specifically is just over a year removed from major injury.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is everyone like 5 people on this site?
A while lot more then 5 but yes this site… lol and there have been some actual NFL pundits preaching the same using the word “transcendent” etc…

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just speaking for myself I never claimed they were in the same league. Not making excuses for Kyler for example I think guys like Allen and Burrow are showing better arc right now and Burrow specifically is just over a year removed from major injury.
Agreed

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A while lot more then 5 but yes this site… lol and there have been some actual NFL pundits preaching the same using the word “transcendent” etc…
I remember them noting that about his athleticism, not overall talent like a Trevor Lawrence, etc. Not making excuses, but I remember that being the discussion everyday.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Allen, but I want to hold off on Burrow for a bit. Luckily for him & Cinci, the rest of that division is pretty much on IR or broken. I’m eager to see if they don’t lose those 2 games & end up missing the playoffs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I agree with Allen, but I want to hold off on Burrow for a bit. Luckily for him & Cinci, the rest of that division is pretty much on IR or broken. I’m eager to see if they don’t lose those 2 games & end up missing the playoffs.

There’s like 5 guys in a similar boat right now; Kyler, Allen, Lamar, Burrow and Herbert... And I didn’t include Tua who I thought would be the best of them all lol.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I didn't like the film comment by Kyler but I think people have taken it to an extreme and are now acting like he said I never watch film I don't need to.

Just 2 days ago I watched him in an interview say lots of people that have no idea what they're talking about are saying things right now. And "if you watch the film you know it's not true." He's saying we're not a bad team we're just not making the plays now we were earlier and we're beating ourselves with turnovers, penalties etc. But the KEY part of that is he literally said IF YOU WATCH THE FILM, in other words he is in fact watching film.

Again 2-3 games ago they apologized to us for giving the impression Kyler was looking at the ground on the sideline when he actually had the tablet down there and he was looking at it.

He needs to play better, he probably still needs to learn how to study film and hopefully Colt is helping there and hopefully they enlist someone like Warner in that. But I don't think this is Jake Plummer going to Denver, attending voluntary offseason workouts, and saying this is so much better than what we had in Arizona, and then having to admit to reporters he'd never actually attended them in his ENTIRE CAREER in Arizona.
As soon as I saw those Plummer quotes, I said F that guy....dead to me. I spent so much energy and emotional cache on him and his teams and for him to admit he didn't do what it took to be great was pretty ridiculous.

I think you're right on Murray after I've thought about this topic a bit more. I think worst case from what we know, Murray could do more. I don't think he watches NO FILM, but it sounds like he could do more.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soon as I saw those Plummer quotes, I said F that guy....dead to me. I spent so much energy and emotional cache on him and his teams and for him to admit he didn't do what it took to be great was pretty ridiculous.

I think you're right on Murray after I've thought about this topic a bit more. I think worst case from what we know, Murray could do more. I don't think he watches NO FILM, but it sounds like he could do more.
Nobody watches no film. Impossible. It’s went over in team meetings. Watching and studying not the same.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is everyone like 5 people on this site?

Kyler was better in high school, went to a far bigger college, was better in college, was drafted #1 and were supposed to think he isn't as talented as Mahomes?

Kyler has all the arm talent Mahomes has and is more mobile.

The big difference is Kyler isn't anywhere near as good at the mental aspects. Including operating under pressure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont quote me with that crappy response. Nothing I said was ridiculous.
That was a formatting hiccup. You definitely haven’t said anything ridiculous about those quotes about Kyler basically believes he’s Neo from the Matrix.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler was better in high school, went to a far bigger college, was better in college, was drafted #1 and were supposed to think he isn't as talented as Mahomes?

Kyler has all the arm talent Mahomes has and is more mobile.

The big difference is Kyler isn't anywhere near as good at the mental aspects. Including operating under pressure.
Sheesh if it was only that black & white.

Tua was better in high school, went to a far bigger college, was better in college, & was drafted higher than Herbert, and we’re supposed to believe he isn’t as talented as Herbert?

Baker was better in high school, went to a far bigger college, was better in college, & was drafted higher than Allen, and we’re supposed to believe he isn’t as talented as Allen?

Kyler does NOT have the arm-strength Mahomes has nor can he throw from pretty much any platform Mahomes can. That’s obvious.

The big difference is that while he’s not there mentally, he’s also not as talented/gifted with his arm than Mahomes. Only two young QBs are & that is Herbert & Allen. Lets not lie & pretend that he was ever gifted with his arm as much as Mahomes. Where he played at in High School & College is completely irrelevant. Completely.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t think anyone here believes he watches NO FILM. But he made it pretty clear it’s not a major priority/he’s not a film junkie like we hear most of the best QBs are or end up being.

He also sounds pretty high on himself with the “i see everything on the field” comments.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There’s like 5 guys in a similar boat right now; Kyler, Allen, Lamar, Burrow and Herbert... And I didn’t include Tua who I thought would be the best of them all lol.
I think its the injuries for Tua. His arm seemed much stronger his freshman year in college than it does now. He looked like a mix of Brees and Rodgers with his ability to throw on the run. Game looks like a shell of itself. Still been productive though.

Nobody watches no film. Impossible. It’s went over in team meetings. Watching and studying not the same.
“Man, he won the game,” Hopkins said, via ESPN. “At the end of the day, it says W or a loss. He had five touchdowns. He prepared like he was going to have five touchdowns. He demanded everybody else to be on their A-game. When we messed up, Kyler was the first one on us. I expected that out of him the way he’s prepared this offseason.”

So now lets look at that in conjunction with the full quote from New York Times.
Murray credited the presence of Colt McCoy, the veteran backup he said he didn’t even realize he was missing until McCoy joined the Cardinals this year. McCoy, in his 12th season, said he has never played with anyone who has as much intuition or feel at the position. Other young quarterbacks might overthink; Murray, he said, plays with an uncluttered mind.

As an example, McCoy mentioned Murray’s Week 4 touchdown pass against the Rams to tight end Maxx Williams. The first option, McCoy said, was Edmonds, coming out of the backfield. But Murray knew the Tuesday before the game that if Los Angeles presented a certain coverage, he would throw over the middle to Williams. Murray was so confident that, when the ball was snapped, he never even looked toward Edmonds.

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

Its very possible it was just a dumb comment by a guy trying to sound so much smarter than everyone else.

The good thing? The league has a way of humbling everyone. Yes, Shane even "Broken" Patrick Mahomes had to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited: