So What’s Wrong With Kyler Murray?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards failure to bring in a QB coach with whom Murray would work has left Murray an incomplete QB. Kingsbury is clearly not a QB whisperer though I’m not sure he’s even attempting that role. The major question is whether Kyler accepts he needs help if he wants to become a dominant player. Don’t ask me to offer some Internet site or some source, this is simply my opinion. I think Murray feels the problems this team is having lie with everyone else. He’s feels he’s a winner and the others are failing him (sounds like Urban Meyer). My impression was the gestures he exhibited during the game supported this. Also instead of going to the various players on the sidelines and trying to pump them up. He seemed to keep to himself between drives or simply wander around. So what’s missing?
  1. He’s gone back to not using his progressions
  2. He tries to elude rushers with mostly one technique but fails to use the pocket.
  3. Unlike Russel Wilson, Murray doesn’t move side-to-side to create a passing lane
  4. Murray doesn’t throw the ball away when eluding a rusher to avoid a loss
  5. Murray has learned to pull up & throw but often doesn’t scan the field before a pass
  6. Murray sometimes lacks composure, throwing the ball away when no rusher is near.
  7. Murray has a great arm (one of the best), but he needs work on touch.
  8. Murray needs to work on ball placement; he needs to know his receivers better
  9. Murray needs to run to disrupt the rush. He can go down after short gains.
  10. Murray rarely audibles. Can he read defenses? Did he audible in Detroit?
  11. Murray needs to lead, he needs a personality reboot.
There’s more but this is enough for now. It wasn’t just the injury as people are hopefully speculating. He didn’t look good in the Green Bay game before the injury. Early on I thought he was showing improvement, but he’s regressed considerably. Is he dedicated to improve his skill set? Does he personally believe he’s sturdy enough to be effective in the NFL and can take the hits? I’m not ready to give up on Murray, but he needs to display more personal accountability, not just in press conferences, but during a game. Keim needs to have a long talk with him if Kingsbury isn’t up to it. With a great arm and being the best running QB I’ve ever seen, this guy should be the real deal. He just needs technique to move to the next level.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This. Murray has regressed and that is the heart burn right now you must have if you are a Cardinals fan. Can he get back on track this season? Likely not is why a promising season may come to a disappointing end.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I think he's still dinged up cause he doesnt have the speed to elude defenders and he hasnt been running in TDs or even tried. And having Hudson out yesterday compounded the timing Kyler was struggling with also. I have no worries if Kyler is healthy but that's a big IF?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think he's still dinged up cause he doesnt have the speed to elude defenders and he hasnt been running in TDs or even tried. And having Hudson out yesterday compounded the timing Kyler was struggling with also. I have no worries if Kyler is healthy but that's a big IF?
Yup, I been saying this. He’s not as quick/elusive/explosive like earlier this year.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think he looks healthy enough for a Pocket QB. Not seeing the field or using the pocket, taking what defense gives you, sailing the passes etc is the primary problem.

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
The Cards failure to bring in a QB coach with whom Murray would work has left Murray an incomplete QB. Kingsbury is clearly not a QB whisperer though I’m not sure he’s even attempting that role. The major question is whether Kyler accepts he needs help if he wants to become a dominant player. Don’t ask me to offer some Internet site or some source, this is simply my opinion. I think Murray feels the problems this team is having lie with everyone else. He’s feels he’s a winner and the others are failing him (sounds like Urban Meyer). My impression was the gestures he exhibited during the game supported this. Also instead of going to the various players on the sidelines and trying to pump them up. He seemed to keep to himself between drives or simply wander around. So what’s missing?
  1. He’s gone back to not using his progressions
  2. He tries to elude rushers with mostly one technique but fails to use the pocket.
  3. Unlike Russel Wilson, Murray doesn’t move side-to-side to create a passing lane
  4. Murray doesn’t throw the ball away when eluding a rusher to avoid a loss
  5. Murray has learned to pull up & throw but often doesn’t scan the field before a pass
  6. Murray sometimes lacks composure, throwing the ball away when no rusher is near.
  7. Murray has a great arm (one of the best), but he needs work on touch.
  8. Murray needs to work on ball placement; he needs to know his receivers better
  9. Murray needs to run to disrupt the rush. He can go down after short gains.
  10. Murray rarely audibles. Can he read defenses? Did he audible in Detroit?
  11. Murray needs to lead, he needs a personality reboot.
There’s more but this is enough for now. It wasn’t just the injury as people are hopefully speculating. He didn’t look good in the Green Bay game before the injury. Early on I thought he was showing improvement, but he’s regressed considerably. Is he dedicated to improve his skill set? Does he personally believe he’s sturdy enough to be effective in the NFL and can take the hits? I’m not ready to give up on Murray, but he needs to display more personal accountability, not just in press conferences, but during a game. Keim needs to have a long talk with him if Kingsbury isn’t up to it. With a great arm and being the best running QB I’ve ever seen, this guy should be the real deal. He just needs technique to move to the next level.
Awesome writeup!

It's confusing to me that they don't have a QB coach for him.
Maybe I'll just follow tennis - only 1 person to blame.
#1 - Not using progression could account for the increase in interceptions too. I wonder why he is not doing that? No time in pocket? Could the injury's be causing him to hurry up to avoid hits?
#2 - Only 1 technique to avoid rushers - You'd think he could step up sometimes and find a running / passing lane.
#7 - Strong Arm - Could he have some of the same issues as Brett Favre? I read somewhere that when he was traded to Green Bay it was a major wake up call. If I recall, he was wild and threw a lot of interception at Atlanta. Maybe the team is to focused on making life comfortable for him. Does anyone hold him accountable?
#10 - is the lack of audibles him or the coach? Did he audible more when Kingsbury was out?

How many years does a QB get before folks decide that he is what he is?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I been saying this. He’s not as quick/elusive/explosive like earlier this year.

He didn’t look explosive from the start. And he didn’t need to because he looked like he was so much better in the pocket. But from Game 1 he didn’t have the pop this year that he did last year.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Cam Turner is the quarterbacks coach, so I guess you're saying that either he's not up to the task or Murray isn't listening.

I do think that Hopkins was a security blanket for Murray. His "go to" guy when he needed a first down or in the red zone. I'm hoping that both Murray and Kingsbury do a better job of adjusting to life without DHop going forward.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If Kyler is only going to be effective when he's in mint condition, that's a pretty big issue moving forward.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
He was justified with all the drops and false starts but he needs to suck it up and lead. Sulking by himself between series is not helpful.

Without question the Cardinals need to add an offensive guru of some kind. Whether OC or consultant because I don't believe Kingsbury isn't able to get Kyler to maximum potential.

DHop covers up several deficiencies in the offense. With his security blanket removed, Kyler struggles. We saw it against GB. We saw it against the Rams. We saw it against Detroit. And we'll probably see it again next Sunday.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Didn’t he just run in two TDs against Chicago?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t he just run in two TDs against Chicago?

Yeah I don't get that he had 59 yards and 2 TD's against the bears and 61 yards with a 20 yarder called back on a bad hold call against the rams. his 2 best running games of the season were after he came back so I think it's HIGHLY unlikely yesterday was due to his ankle.

I kind of felt like he just kept thinking we're going to get them so I don't need to run? He had to run against Chicago because of the rain, and he had to run against the Rams because of their pass rush. I think he felt he didn't want to run against Detroit but honestly he needed to because of the way they were rushing the QB. Screens help slow it down but you also have to step up and run every now and then but again I don't think he trusts the OL when Hudson doesn't play and that's something he HAS to get over. In the NFL you have OL's get hurt all the time and in Covid you have to expect key guys will miss a game here or there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't get that he had 59 yards and 2 TD's against the bears and 61 yards with a 20 yarder called back on a bad hold call against the rams. his 2 best running games of the season were after he came back so I think it's HIGHLY unlikely yesterday was due to his ankle.

I kind of felt like he just kept thinking we're going to get them so I don't need to run? He had to run against Chicago because of the rain, and he had to run against the Rams because of their pass rush. I think he felt he didn't want to run against Detroit but honestly he needed to because of the way they were rushing the QB. Screens help slow it down but you also have to step up and run every now and then but again I don't think he trusts the OL when Hudson doesn't play and that's something he HAS to get over. In the NFL you have OL's get hurt all the time and in Covid you have to expect key guys will miss a game here or there.
THIS.

If you need perfection to play high level ball, you ain't elite. elite players make everyone around them better or perform even when dealt a bad hand.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was justified with all the drops and false starts but he needs to suck it up and lead. Sulking by himself between series is not helpful.

Without question the Cardinals need to add an offensive guru of some kind. Whether OC or consultant because I don't believe Kingsbury isn't able to get Kyler to maximum potential.

DHop covers up several deficiencies in the offense. With his security blanket removed, Kyler struggles. We saw it against GB. We saw it against the Rams. We saw it against Detroit. And we'll probably see it again next Sunday.
A good bit of this is on Kyler. Colt didn’t have Hop against SF & SEA, yet, still managed to sliced them up. SF is also a respectable defense. He has to show that he can play good & win without him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good bit of this is on Kyler. Colt didn’t have Hop against SF & SEA, yet, still managed to sliced them up. SF is also a respectable defense. He has to show that he can play good & win without him.

yeah... i think people forget that not only did we win those games with Colt, but he had two GREAT passing games, without Hop, or Chase and with the line dinged up.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't understand why Kyler doesn't get some lecture from Colt. Colt took what he got and sliced and diced good D up. Kyler should be able to learn from that, lesser deep balls, and when the D does get beat you take the deep ball.

But the last two games, we didn't look good and regressed.

I think Kyler needs to take some lectures from some top Raid leaders or some other top gaming groupe leader. How you motivate your team when you face extreme adversity, maybe they can teach him some way that works for him. But I don't think he is a Brady type of player. Maybe in 2-3 years but not yet.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Cam Turner is the quarterbacks coach, so I guess you're saying that either he's not up to the task or Murray isn't listening.

I do think that Hopkins was a security blanket for Murray. His "go to" guy when he needed a first down or in the red zone. I'm hoping that both Murray and Kingsbury do a better job of adjusting to life without DHop going forward.
Yeah they promoted him to that title. He’s peviously been just an assistant. He spent about half his time working with wide receivers. They need to hire an experienced QB coach with a proven resume.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
THIS.

If you need perfection to play high level ball, you ain't elite. elite players make everyone around them better or perform even when dealt a bad hand.
They also don't show up their teammates or put off the negative energy that Kyler does. It would be one thing if he were flat, which would be bad enough. He puts out negative energy both on the field and on the sideline when things start going south, and the team feeds off of it.

Kyler has a lot of technique to clean up, but he also has a lot to show as a leader of men. Football is a tough sport, and part of that is showing how tough you are. Dan Campbell said it himself that a goal of theirs was to get hits on Kyler, and clearly other coaches are on the same page.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
He’s too short, hasn’t learned to climb the pocket and cant play under center.
Our Oline isn’t helping too.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah they promoted him to that title. He’s peviously been just an assistant. He spent about half his time working with wide receivers. They need to hire an experienced QB coach with a proven resume.
It's a tricky thing. Kyler's real QB coach is clearly his father. I dunno if he's even open to re-assessing and improving his fundamentals. It's part of the challenge of having two noobs start together.

It's also part of the challenge if we replace Kliff. If that happens and Kyler still hasn't shown himself to be a winner at the NFL level, how does the team resolve conflict between the QB and the head coach?

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
THIS.

Real talk, even Garappolo, and Goff look like All pros when they are well protected. I don't want them as my Franchise QBs, so do Shanahan and McVay.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr