So What’s Wrong With Kyler Murray?

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kyler's comment about watching game film was the most interesting public utterance from the Cardinals all season.

I wondered at the time when he made those comments. Maybe the interview was a few weeks ago when we were 7-0 and flying? Kyler would have been quite confident to boast about doing things his way. Doesn't look quite so good a month or so later. I wonder if his perspective has changed?

There are athletes who suffer from paralysis by analysis. Reams of stats and footage and scrutiny only serves to stifle what they do naturally. Make them conscious of things they do subconsciously. You're better off leaving them be.

Can a quarterback take this approach though? Given their role is so complex and so integral to the system I'd think they'd need to be a film junkie and comfortable taking on a wealth of information. Can this be learned?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This certainly doesn’t sound fair to Kyler. He doesn’t seem that interested in doing the mental work that (it seems) literally every other great QB does to be great, but he’s interested in doing the gym work.
I think he is underestimating how much film study would help.

He certainly isn't lazy...sounds more like he is haughty.

I'm a huge Kyler Murray fan as a player, but he isn't above reasonable criticism.

Reaction score
Are you serious? Come on man. It was literally quoted in a big spread on Kyler by The NY Times.
And that means what exactly? We take the media for it's word? You know as well as anyone that they embellish or say things in a different light than what was actually said. Think Fox News.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Here is the quote from the NY Times FWIW:

1640958204260.png

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here is the quote from the NY Times FWIW:

1640958204260.png
Yuck, def not a fan of that quote… at the same time if he wasn’t putting in adequate film time I’d hope someone other than this board is harping on him about it. Lastly, kind of odd that no one else in the media is jumping on this quote?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm bothered by Kyler's film comments but it's not the current problem because it's always been that way. When we were 7-0 he didn't watch much film either.

He's simply not playing well. He looks scared. He's bugging out way too soon. He's not stepping up. He looks rushed and it's going through his reads.

I'm more bothered my his "we just have to fix a few things and do our jobs" comments this week. It's much more than that and much more on him.

Tyler Huntley has had a better last 3 games than Kyler.

Last edited:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm bothered by Kyler's film comments but it's not the current problem because it's always been that way. When we were 7-0 he didn't watch much film either.

He's simply not playing well. He looks scared. He's bugging out way too soon. He's not stepping up. He looks rushed and it's going through his reads.

I'm more bothered my his "we just have to fix a few things and do our jobs" comments this week. It's much more than that and much more on him.

I’d be scared too without Hudson.. we have the worst interior line in the league without him. Oh and his #1 weapon out, with not exactly the best supporting cast of weapons.

Pretty bad comparison, put Kyler behind Huntley’s line and vice versa. He’s played bad without a doubt, but as I have pointed out before I don’t believe any QB not named Rodgers/Brady has success w Hudson/Hopkins out on this squad.

Darn shame that Hump is out. Would have been good to test this with him and Hudson in the line-up.

You can’t argue 8-1 with Hudson in.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
And that means what exactly? We take the media for it's word? You know as well as anyone that they embellish or say things in a different light than what was actually said. Think Fox News.
I’d certainly take the word of a 16 year NY Times who previous worked for the Dallas Morning News. There’s no way, if you’re Murray, you give an interview, get misquoted and say nothing. Tons of people have challenged some of the Fox News’ reporters version of the truth. No one has challenged Shpigel. You can’t paint all news sources with the same brush.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He said it. And probably said it during his draft process as well. And yes things can spin from it.

Just like him saying he doesnt watch film 24/7 is interpreted as not working hard. If anything Kyler cut down his own prestige because Hopkins and Ertz both raved about how hard he works. Opening game against the Titans it was Hopkins who said he prepared like he was going to score 5 tds. Extremely poor awareness for Kyler to admit that. And hopefully this humble pie lately is whats needed to make him grind more.

This is fan talk. Player talk he's absolutely right. We were the little things away from beating the Colts and Rams. Kirk sets a proper pick play on Ertz man and we probably score a TD for example. A little clean up and we're absolutely back on track.

Davis Mills had a stretch of outplaying Mahomes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are LITERAL QUOTES. That Kyler hasn’t disavowed or...

Forget it. You’ve gone to incredible lengths to defend the indefensible with this team before. Continuing to discuss this one that might actually be your most unbelievable is pointless.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be scared too without Hudson.. we have the worst interior line in the league without him. Oh and his #1 weapon out, with not exactly the best supporting cast of weapons.

Pretty bad comparison, put Kyler behind Huntley’s line and vice versa. He’s played bad without a doubt, but as I have pointed out before I don’t believe any QB not named Rodgers/Brady has success w Hudson/Hopkins out on this squad.

Darn shame that Hump is out. Would have been good to test this with him and Hudson in the line-up.

You can’t argue 8-1 with Hudson in.

Are we better with Hudson? Sure.

Should Kyler suck this hard just because Hudson is out? No.

We whooped the Brown's and Texans without him and was one pass from beating Green Bay.

I know its comforting to look for excuses elsewhere but the issue is Kyler. Nobody else.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are we better with Hudson? Sure.

Should Kyler suck this hard just because Hudson is out? No.

We whooped the Brown's and Texans without him and was one pass from beating Green Bay.

I know its comforting to look for excuses elsewhere but the issue is Kyler. Nobody else.
You're not wrong, but you're not complete. Its one thing without Hudson its another thing without Hudson and Hopkins.

Line is exposed and we're without his safety net. As I've posted in another thread he's making it difficult on himself not even looking in Wesley's direction.

He's had a couple weeks now to adjust to life without Hopkins he gets Hudson back to help sure up the Oline (sucks that DJ is out).

Cowboys game will tell the tale if they've fixed up things or if this is a lingering issue.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was on board, until this... It's a team sport. This isn't tennis.

My point is Kyler's issues are on Kyler. Its not Hudson or the O line or Nuk or anything else. Kyler's issues are Kyler's fault.

There are larger team issues but in my opinion many of them are the knock on effect of Kyler playing poorly.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point is Kyler's issues are on Kyler. Its not Hudson or the O line or Nuk or anything else. Kyler's issues are Kyler's fault.

There are larger team issues but in my opinion many of them are the knock on effect of Kyler playing poorly.
Ahh. Gotcha. Agree that his issues are his. The way you posted it made it seem the issue was Kyler. If we are winning because of a stellar defense or fantastic special teams, we all probably aren't even discussing this. IMO. It's just the nature of sports... especially football. The QB will get the praise when winning and all the fault when losing. I try to stay somewhere in between.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn