Who is Kyler Murray?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And how is he any different than Urban Meyer who blamed everyone else because he was a "winner".
Because Urban is a 60 year-old man and Kyler is a 23 year-old kid?

Kyler Murray still has a ton of growing up to do, but both Kyler and Urban need someone to tell them that absolutely no one in the nfl cares about your college or high school (!!!!!!!!) accomplishments.

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess I will amend that someone needs to tell Kyler that as of now he peaked in High School.
Ideally but not everyone is going unlock their natural talent by themselves solely.

BA woulda got on that azz so fast Kyler be throwing 40 TDS by now.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He is nothing more than a glorified running back.
Disagree. He is a more talented but smaller Michael Vick. The issue is that he is falling into the same trap. He has gotten bye on his physical ability for so long that he doesn't feel like he needs to do the extra. He is the high school kid who never needed to study but now that he is in college is finding that his grades are getting a little worse every year as he takes higher level classes.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is where this argument gets tricky. Kyler is an underachieving QB but that doesn't mean he is a bad QB. As long as he has his athletic ability he will be a fire works show that keeps this team around the playoffs but gets coaches fired because he can never get over the hump.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. He is a more talented but smaller Michael Vick. The issue is that he is falling into the same trap. He has gotten bye on his physical ability for so long that he doesn't feel like he needs to do the extra. He is the high school kid who never needed to study but now that he is in college is finding that his grades are getting a little worse every year as he takes higher level classes.

He’s a smaller, less athletic and not as tough Mike Vick.

Also, for all of the hits he doesn’t take to get extra yardage, he still has had significant injury problems that either a) limited him the second half of last season and b) made him miss a month of this season.

Last edited:

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We will agree to disagree. I will say this, he is exciting to watch...exciting does not equal good.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He needs to put in the work to excel and we don't see it right now

Falling back into his old habits and it seems like the coaching staff is not making him accountable

Sad to see really since he showed us glimpses of what he could do earlier in the season

Adjustments need to be made after DC's get tape on your offense

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where this argument gets tricky. Kyler is an underachieving QB but that doesn't mean he is a bad QB. As long as he has his athletic ability he will be a fire works show that keeps this team around the playoffs but gets coaches fired because he can never get over the hump.
Coaching staff needs to call him out and make adjustments

He needs to learn how to read a defense and not try to get by on physical skills alone

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Coaching staff needs to call him out and make adjustments

He needs to learn how to read a defense and not try to get by on physical skills alone
The NFL is where you have to do extra on your own to be great. Kyler does everything in practice that he needs to do. HE does the minimum or slightly more. Hard to call out guys who are doing what they are asked to do.

The only thing that Kyler would benefit from is someone challenging him to be great. The problem is that he has a ROTY and two Pro Bowls in a three year career. He also is a stat machine. He has to believe that his lack of winning is his issue and not one he blames on others.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NFL is where you have to do extra on your own to be great. Kyler does everything in practice that he needs to do. HE does the minimum or slightly more. Hard to call out guys who are doing what they are asked to do.

The only thing that Kyler would benefit from is someone challenging him to be great. The problem is that he has a ROTY and two Pro Bowls in a three year career. He also is a stat machine. He has to believe that his lack of winning is his issue and not one he blames on others.

Is he really a stat machine?

Through 15 games, his QB numbers are 3200 yards 21 TDs, 445 yards rushing and 5 TDs.

Those are pretty pedestrian QB numbers, not elite in any category.

And before someone says HE WAS INJURED FOR THREE GAMES! Well, availability is an important stat too. when injuries repeatedly derail or pull down your stats, you don’t get extra points for missing games.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
After reviewing the game it looked to me like unless Murray was in escape mode, he always threw to the receiver the play was initially targeting. I didn’t see him move his head to use progressions nor did I see him deliberately move a safety with his eyes. He setup extremely deep so all passes must have seemed like at least 15 yard throws.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m putting it on Kliff. Kyler is given the ball and told go win it. He appears to be a Qb in a complex offense.
He could get away with it in college on his athleticism. He can’t and shouldn’t be expected to do it in the pros.

Maybe Kyler can’t handle a 5 inch thick playbook. It also appears the rest of the offense can’t either based on pre-snap penalties.

Something has to change.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
After reviewing the game it looked to me like unless Murray was in escape mode, he always threw to the receiver the play was initially targeting. I didn’t see him move his head to use progressions nor did I see him deliberately move a safety with his eyes. He setup extremely deep so all passes must have seemed like at least 15 yard throws.
Not surprising. Those are all things that guys who get by on ability don't do.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m putting it on Kliff. Kyler is given the ball and told go win it. He appears to be a Qb in a complex offense.
He could get away with it in college on his athleticism. He can’t and shouldn’t be expected to do it in the pros.

Maybe Kyler can’t handle a 5 inch thick playbook. It also appears the rest of the offense can’t either based on pre-snap penalties.

Something has to change.
I mean you can blame Kliff but you are sticking your head in the sand. The main thing Kliff has failed at is getting Kyler to want to do the little things and the extra things. Outside of that, the best argument is that Kyler is making Kliff's offense look worse than it is because outside of off-script plays, he doesn't do anything extra to help the offense. Doesn't audible, doesn't use a bunch of progressions, and doesn't create throwing lanes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Something has to change.
If Kyler can’t handle a big playbook we have even bigger issues then him not wanting to study film.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean you can blame Kliff but you are sticking your head in the sand. The main thing Kliff has failed at is getting Kyler to want to do the little things and the extra things. Outside of that, the best argument is that Kyler is making Kliff's offense look worse than it is because outside of off-script plays, he doesn't do anything extra to help the offense. Doesn't audible, doesn't use a bunch of progressions, and doesn't create throwing lanes.
Not sticking my head in the sand. What you are saying is Kliff CANT Get Kyler to do the little things then that falls on him.
I just think it’s like trying to have your home run hitter try to bunt. If Kyler can’t or won’t do the little things then whittle the play book down to 5 plays until he does.
Kyler has the talent to play in this league but he has shown a propensity to not find the right receiver at times. Even when he is successful it seems there is/was a higher pct. throw available for him.
Is it Kyler? Is it Kliff? Is it the play calling. Is it the complexity? Is it the lack of adapting throughout the season and opponent. Probably a little of all the above.

Montanaman

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's too short to be a full-service QB in today's NFL. That's probably why half the snaps are on the ground and the other half are over his head. He's not the guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose