Morning thoughts

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last night tells you how good Kyler is, in a bad game he threw for 383 yards and ran for 61. nearly 450 yards, if they don't call the hold on Harlow he has 76 yards rushing. This was like his first 2 years he made a bunch of spectacular improv plays but missed on several "easy" plays that killed us. It shows how talented this offense is if Kyler plays better, if the OL blocks Donald, Kyler could have been close to 500 yards of passing and multiple TD's.

It also tells you how far Kyler has to go, as others said the difference when Colt was playing is he took the easy stuff, he got the ball out quickly, Kyler tends to take the deeper shots so he holds the ball longer. When they work like the 4th down TD to D hop against the bears are brilliant. When they don't work it's as the announcers said last night Kyler took the "bait" several times and went for the big play when the first down was there.

the run defense has to get better I think Simmons has to be more solid. I'll give Budda a pass last night just became a father probably a million things on his mind but he's not nearly as impactful this year.

Very unhappy about last night but I'm not writing us off, we have as talented an offense as anybody in the league. We have defensive talent we need to be more solid and we need a better scheme. We have a great kicker and a great punter, we have our snapper back. All the pieces are there the question is can we get going the right way again.

And now we have to wait to see how D Hop and Conner are I think both of them might have concussions.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people are underrating that we had zero answer for Cooper Kupp. Didn’t matter if it was third and 2 or 3rd and 8, it was going to Kupp and he was going to convert the 1st down.
To make it worse, our local sports guys went over how much of the Rams' offense Kupp is responsible for this season during the week leading up to the game. Clearly - if you stop Kupp, you stop the Rams offense. I kept thinking that as we were at the game watching Kupp make play after play. SMH.

Rams' Cooper Kupp: Career high in win​

Kupp caught 13 of 15 targets for 123 yards and a touchdown in Monday night's 30-23 win over the Cardinals.

Kupp once again led the Rams in all major receiving categories, setting a new career high in receptions in the process.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We shut him down in week 4. He was nowhere near as effective as he’s been all year.

I’m not sure we shut him down as much as Stafford looked like 0-17 Stafford in that game. A lot of us commented during that game that he was missing big plays to Kupp repeatedly. Our pressure got to him in Game 1. We didn’t bring the same and saw the result.

1-17.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Murray was bad last night. It happens but he has to be better going forward. Empty yards between 20s don't count as every DC wants you to take those yards in a passing league.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Doubling Kupp should have been a key halftime adjustment. Alas...... that didn't happen.

I'm still mad this morning. And now I get to be exhausted all day. haha

Murray wasn't bad last night. But with that being said, imagine how good he can be if he showed up in Q1. The next time he shows up in Q1 of a big primetime game will be the first time he has shown up in Q1 of a big primetime game.

The cocktail of O-Line ineptness, Donald greatness, Referee ugliness, and 4th down failures, and ugly ugly, defense on Kupp in the slot was just so maddening.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
last night tells you how good Kyler is, in a bad game he threw for 383 yards and ran for 61. nearly 450 yards, if they don't call the hold on Harlow he has 76 yards rushing. This was like his first 2 years he made a bunch of spectacular improv plays but missed on several "easy" plays that killed us. It shows how talented this offense is if Kyler plays better, if the OL blocks Donald, Kyler could have been close to 500 yards of passing and multiple TD's.

It also tells you how far Kyler has to go, as others said the difference when Colt was playing is he took the easy stuff, he got the ball out quickly, Kyler tends to take the deeper shots so he holds the ball longer. When they work like the 4th down TD to D hop against the bears are brilliant. When they don't work it's as the announcers said last night Kyler took the "bait" several times and went for the big play when the first down was there.

the run defense has to get better I think Simmons has to be more solid. I'll give Budda a pass last night just became a father probably a million things on his mind but he's not nearly as impactful this year.

Very unhappy about last night but I'm not writing us off, we have as talented an offense as anybody in the league. We have defensive talent we need to be more solid and we need a better scheme. We have a great kicker and a great punter, we have our snapper back. All the pieces are there the question is can we get going the right way again.

And now we have to wait to see how D Hop and Conner are I think both of them might have concussions.

Did the Rams really expose our run defense last night though? They had 90 yards. about 4.2 per carry or something like that.

But Stafford played magnificently, and Kupp beat whoever we lined up against him. I think we lost on defense because our pass rush was pretty weak, and our secondary (hopefully) had an off night.

The next time we play them, maybe we should blitz our @sses off, because Stafford has proven to me that if you give him time, he's got the ability and weapons to beat even a quality secondary like ARZ's.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Doubling Kupp should have been a key halftime adjustment. Alas...... that didn't happen.

Murray wasn't bad last night. But with that being said, imagine how good he can be if he showed up in Q1. The next time he shows up in Q1 of a big primetime game will be the first time he has shown up in Q1 of a big primetime game.

The cocktail of O-Line ineptness, Donald greatness, Referee ugliness, and 4th down failures, and ugly ugly, defense on Kupp in the slot was just so maddening.
And despite all that, it was a one score game even with Kliff not taking the points TWICE. I had money on the Cards. They haven’t played a full 60 against the Pack or Rams but had a shot at the end. There’s a resiliency to this team. Do they have to be more consistent, Yes. But winning in the NFL ain’t easy. Trust me, I’m a Bengals fan lol. Y’all will be ok.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing I missed last night, Cardinals are 3-3 in the last six games..2020 repeating. Coaches should get most of the blame but Kyler missed 3 games with DHop. So don't want to blame them as they got 4 games to turn this around.

What is worse and bothers me is Cardinals roster is made up of old players (average age of team in 27) and one year rentals that are having huge impacts..what are the chances this is sustainable going forward?

Is the nucleus of Murray, DHop, Budda, Humphries, Murphy enough to get a championship?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Murray wasn't bad last night.

But with that being said, imagine how good he can be if he showed up in Q1. The next time he shows up in Q1 of a big primetime game will be the first time he has shown up in Q1 of a big primetime game.

Disagree a little with the first bolded. Yes the oline didn't do him any favors, but that 2nd Int was bad Dr. bad bad bad. Also, zero touchdown passes last night. Zero touchdown pass vs. GB too. 0/4 TD/INTs in those two big games. Not good enough.

2nd bolded is a little disconcerting, because I agree with you. Not too worrisome though. Not yet anyway.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the Rams really expose our run defense last night though? They had 90 yards. about 4.2 per carry or something like that.

But Stafford played magnificently, and Kupp beat whoever we lined up against him. I think we lost on defense because our pass rush was pretty weak, and our secondary (hopefully) had an off night.

The next time we play them, maybe we should blitz our @sses off, because Stafford has proven to me that if you give him time, he's got the ability and weapons to beat even a quality secondary like ARZ's.

True but the point to me is their pass game was so effective in part because of the run game. We had to honor the run, they showed several replays where just the play action got Jalen Thompson to take a step up because he had to keep making plays in the run game. 2 of their big pass plays were direct results of Thompson taking a step up

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
True but the point to me is their pass game was so effective in part because of the run game. We had to honor the run, they showed several replays where just the play action got Jalen Thompson to take a step up because he had to keep making plays in the run game. 2 of their big pass plays were direct results of Thompson taking a step up

That fair.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think people are underrating that we had zero answer for Cooper Kupp. Didn’t matter if it was third and 2 or 3rd and 8, it was going to Kupp and he was going to convert the 1st down.
This is a Vance thing. The one play he doubled Kupp we got a stop.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler just needs to continue to get better overcoming adversity. Every QB gets lit up. There are games where OLs are just overmatched. there are games where calls and bounces don't go your way. Kyler just needs to continue to work to overcome those.

Point of fact. I have little confidence in Kyler executing the 2 min drill in key spots whereas Rodgers and Brady it is almost a shock then they don't execute. Still a young and inexperienced QB in many ways.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The Colt argument loses weight once you remember the Panthers game.

I saw Kyler taking a lot checkdowns to Conner. Even on the throws to Ertz. So much so I think he missed a TD deep to AJ Green.

Some of these deep shots were late in the game.
You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Oh, Murray was DEFINITELY bad last night. Just because you rack up a ton of yardage doesn't mean you played well. Stats like that mean jack. He buried this team with his mistakes--he's not the only one, no, but he IS the star QB, and the one person who can't bury his team like that.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler just needs to continue to get better overcoming adversity. Every QB gets lit up. There are games where OLs are just overmatched. there are games where calls and bounces don't go your way. Kyler just needs to continue to work to overcome those.

Point of fact. I have little confidence in Kyler executing the 2 min drill in key spots whereas Rodgers and Brady it is almost a shock then they don't execute. Still a young and inexperienced QB in many ways.
1. Thats Brady and Rodgers.
2. We went 99 yards against the Packers and AJ Green didnt turn around.

We were moving wth ease late in the Rams game until Hopkins got hurt. Down 2 scores there's the tricky balance of going for the endzone or leaving time enough for the FG/onside.

Our 2 minute drill has been among the best in the NFL.
Packers/Rams game were true overcoming adversity game where he didnt play well. Still a WR doesnt turn around and we drop a pass on 4th and 2 that likely gives us a TD.

I....well I guess people just have doubts.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Colt argument loses weight once you remember the Panthers game.

I saw Kyler taking a lot checkdowns to Conner. Even on the throws to Ertz. So much so I think he missed a TD deep to AJ Green.

Some of these deep shots were late in the game.
You must be registered for see images attach

yes but I think some of the pressure plays were just Donald destroying us and some of them were Kyler not wanting to take the early open guy but waiting for it to open downfield. I think in a game like last night where Donald was just destroying the interior OL, you have to be quicker to get it out.

Colt had a bad game against Carolina but in the other 2 he made very quick decisions. I felt like Ertz for example was open all night last night. He had 5 for 42 but I think he could have done much more but several times Kyler didn't throw it because he wanted something downfield instead.

When Colt was playing I was thinking man if that's Kyler he makes that throw on a few of them, clearly Kyler is much better, I'm just saying a happy medium quicker decisions from Kyler and then the ability to make those big throws that Colt can't

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
this message board today is filled with people acting like the season is over. Its just a damn game try to enjoy yourselves. Teams losegames, its happens.

They probably beat Detroit next week then its on to a great last three games of the season, enjoy yourselves geeeesh.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
yes but I think some of the pressure plays were just Donald destroying us and some of them were Kyler not wanting to take the early open guy but waiting for it to open downfield. I think in a game like last night where Donald was just destroying the interior OL, you have to be quicker to get it out.

Colt had a bad game against Carolina but in the other 2 he made very quick decisions. I felt like Ertz for example was open all night last night. He had 5 for 42 but I think he could have done much more but several times Kyler didn't throw it because he wanted something downfield instead.

When Colt was playing I was thinking man if that's Kyler he makes that throw on a few of them, clearly Kyler is much better, I'm just saying a happy medium quicker decisions from Kyler and then the ability to make those big throws that Colt can't
Take a look at the throwing chart and against THAT DLINE. Not the Seahawks with no rush and the 49ers missing Ford. We did plenty of checking the football down. We converted lots of 3rd downs. Donald ruined about 4 drives himself.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler missed out on 14 points and cost us 14 points. That's the game despite the good stats.

The two games we lost with him starting both had 2 interceptions. Sure they were deflections and tipped passes but at times he is trying to hit a window that just isn't there.

He was definitely overhyped to start the game and he wasn't thinking at the end of the game.

These are all correctable but awfully annoying when you feel you are the doorstep of something great.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My morning thought:

Last night was a wake up call for me after happily getting drunk on Kool-Aid.

This team is a playoff contender, not a Super Bowk contender.

But that’s more than okay. Gotta walk before you can run and we’re past the walking phase and already beginning to jog as a team. If we host a playoff game and get a win that’s a big step forward this season. Most teams don’t go from no playoffs to the Super Bowl. It’s a process. Looked like we might be ahead of the curve with that flat out dominating 7-0 start. But might take a little more time.

I just want to fast forward to the Colts game. Lions won’t tell us much. Unless they struggle or lose and that much I won’t enjoy watching anyway!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard