2021 Training Camp Thread

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope he has a great career and where he was picked yeah it was a no brainer but let's not downplay what he had as health issues. he had multiple doctors advise him to retire due to recurrent blood clots in both lungs. What they eventually did was get multiple opinions and one expert decided they weren't actually new clots but in fact scar tissue from the prior clots. Going on that they cleared him to return to play if he wanted to. So it's entirely normal for NFL teams to be cautious because it was never really clear the doctors who said that were right. It appears they were but nobody really knew.

I had blood clots in both lungs after a knee surgery, I am obviously not an elite NFL level athlete but it's serious stuff, my uncle died of that in Australia.

But again at that point in the draft he was definitely worth taking a flyer on.

I don't, but when he was there is the 6th round for both picks the Cards should absolutely been thinking "What do we have to lose? He's a 2nd round talent and our 6th likely washes out anyway"

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not from anything on this message board. It's from years and years of watching the Cardinals and reading everything that comes out of there.

Just off the top of my head do you think Keim wanted Ernie Accorsi advising on which HC to choose? Have you ever thought "What we need is an outside guy to come in and tell me how to do my job. That will gain me credibility".

And every year when Larry's deal is up "That's up to Mike. I leave that to him". Plus every flight plan video released over what is it now? 3 years? Clearly shows Mike heavily involved in all meetings pertaining to the draft, free agency etc

Here's a Bidwill quote from the firing of Steve Wilks,

"“I looked at the record, I looked at the lack of competitiveness and the direction we were going in and I felt like it was in the best interest of the organization to go in a different direction,” Bidwill said. “It’s a results-oriented business and if you don’t win everybody knows what happens.”

"“When I look back at last year obviously I didn’t get it right,” Bidwill said. “I take responsibility for it and we’re going to make sure we get it right this time around.”

Keim's quote in the same press release,

"“We honestly didn’t feel like we were growing as a football team and heading in the right direction,” Keim said.

In the same presser, Keim's comments on the #1 overall pick.

"“There’s a number of players I’ve already looked at but I think again there will be a lot of discussion between Michael, I and with the new head coach,” Keim said. “Again, it’s too early in the process. There are a lot of different ways we can go.”

It's quite clear the the Wilks hiring and subsequent firing were on Mike, and it's clear from Kliff intro where Mike thanks Accorsi and A-Dub for their help with the head coach search that Mike was heavily involved in Kliff's hiring, if not total control.

If you don't know by this stage that Mike is making most major football operations decisions then you haven't been paying attention. Keim seems to just be there to do the day to day grind.
I agree that MB is very involved but we truly don't know that SK hated outside consultation. Anyone who doesn't want as much information as possible is either insecure or an idiot.

MB says to SK in one of those draft videos you are getting your guy. That is MB involved but not running the show. Every owner in the NFL makes the decision on hiring or firing of HCs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree that MB is very involved but we truly don't know that SK hated outside consultation. Anyone who doesn't want as much information as possible is either insecure or an idiot.

MB says to SK in one of those draft videos you are getting your guy. That is MB involved but not running the show. Every owner in the NFL makes the decision on hiring or firing of HCs.
I think it's all speculation really. We don't really know how involved MB is. We see some things on Flight Plan and other media sources, but we don't ever see MB overruling SK. I looks pretty collaborative to be honest.

The tea leaves point to MB hiring Wilks, but again we don't have any real proof of this. It's a 50-50 proposition.

What we do know is that Keim's draft record pretty well sucks.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m not going to lie, all these injuries already are making me pretty concerned. Hopefully it’s just an abundance of caution, but usually those situations don’t extend very long. We’ll see soon enough I suppose…

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You listen to Cardinals social media and 98.7 propaganda, you would think Cardinals are going 17-0.

Simmons vastly improved...
Zaven Collins speed and length is turning heads
Moore has been beyond their dreams....
JJ Watt providing the leadership though he didn't practice yet
Murray is looking for AJ Green early and often
Eno Benjamin has been unbelievable
Did you see DHop catch with four defensive players draped on him?
Marco Wilson has surprised the coaches with his play, attitude
Alford will force his way into line up no matter what...
Clearly P2 was trash, Butler is an upgrade "i am telling you..."
OL depth is unbelievable. Will be a top 10 OL..
Last year defense was top 15, you think they will be bad this year with all these additions?

These guys spew this crap every offseason and 9 out of 10 seasons they are wrong. There is one season like they win like 10 or 11 and they are like "where all the haters, ha".....

Cardinals fan never get a honest review of the state of the Cardinals in this town...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't, but when he was there is the 6th round for both picks the Cards should absolutely been thinking "What do we have to lose? He's a 2nd round talent and our 6th likely washes out anyway"

I have to wonder if what happened to Hank Gathers doesn't factor into this teams are scared nobody wants to have a player have a serious illness or death on their field? In his case it at least so far looks like the experts that said it was scar tissue may be correct he apparently has not had any issues since then. Googled him this morning apparently he completely remade his diet, no more fast food etc, and he got into great shape. Was a beast before the problem came up.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m not going to lie, all these injuries already are making me pretty concerned. Hopefully it’s just an abundance of caution, but usually those situations don’t extend very long. We’ll see soon enough I suppose…
Cameron Cox of 12 News said its tough to tell how good this team is because of injuries. Just hard to get a real identity/feel when different guys are missing every other day. Said that Kliff acts like its not a concern, but felt like he should be.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You listen to Cardinals social media and 98.7 propaganda, you would think Cardinals are going 17-0.

Last year defense was top 15, you think they will be bad this year with all these additions?

These guys spew this crap every offseason and 9 out of 10 seasons they are wrong. There is one season like they win like 10 or 11 and they are like "where all the haters, ha".....

Cardinals fan never get a honest review of the state of the Cardinals in this town...
So negative.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did they teach you how to listen to evidence in law school? Or did they tell you that you have to know the person to believe what they say?

Keim and Bidwill have been telling us for years who wears the trousers.
The 1st thing that I learned is evidence isn't PROOF. So pony up the proof that you have.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

What do you want them to say ? The whole team has 2 weeks of violent diarrhea?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So negative.
Is it uber-negative to not want to be fed a straight diet of brown smoke? To expect realistic training camp reports rather than rah rah propaganda? Like, dig into the reality of the various injury situations. I'd rather know if something's serious rather than have it swept under the rug.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is it uber-negative to not want to be fed a straight diet of brown smoke? To expect realistic training camp reports rather than rah rah propaganda? Like, dig into the reality of the various injury situations. I'd rather know if something's serious rather than have it swept under the rug.
If you look across the entirety of the NFL media coverage, it's pretty much all of the same.

Kingsbury stated a few weeks ago that he recently learned that the team doesn't have to provide accurate injury reports. To me, it sounds like NORMAL training camp precautionary injury situations, nothing too major.

As far as the reporting on Cardinals players, we are hearing pretty much the same reporting between the traditional Cardinals media AND the non-traditional web based reporting.

On the flipside, I'd argue some of the NEGATIVE comments on here aren't taking into account that the Cardinals were one win away from a playoff appearance and mostly improved the team.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do the truck commercials on TV say that the trucks get 10 MPG? Or that the transmission might go out at 75,000 miles ?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Is it uber-negative to not want to be fed a straight diet of brown smoke? To expect realistic training camp reports rather than rah rah propaganda?
i would like realistic reports.

but i definitely don't expect it from the team itself, or, expect anything other than an optimistic take from the team's flagship radio station (especially from the 98.7 guys also employed by the team.)

BTW: for being flagship station, I hear quite a few critical takes on the Cards from each of their shows during the day.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I prefer the Dan Campbell level of honesty

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Asking for realistic assessment from some quarters of media is asking too much..

Neverthless, your comment was good.
You must not be listening much then, because I hear enough negative to balance out the positive.

As bullish as the local radio has been on Rondale Moore, they have all consistently pointed out that young receivers have played well in camp before and ended up sucking (Stephen Williams). They have said that Moore has been better than all of those other pretenders though, but they have definitely qualified their comments on him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Do the truck commercials on TV say that the trucks get 10 MPG? Or that the transmission might go out at 75,000 miles ?
Except sports reporting isn't trying to "sell us" on being a fan of the team. It should--but rarely is--be merely about reporting what's going on with the team. The sappy hometown "feel good" styles of reporting are pretty damn useless. Tell us what's going on; don't tell us propaganda.