2021 Training Camp Thread

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the truck commercials on TV say that the trucks get 10 MPG? Or that the transmission might go out at 75,000 miles ?
The truck needs a huge gas tank because of the low mileage per gallon but have low mileage per gallon because of all the fuel that they need to carry. o_O

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Except sports reporting isn't trying to "sell us" on being a fan of the team. It should--but rarely is--be merely about reporting what's going on with the team. The sappy hometown "feel good" styles of reporting are pretty damn useless. Tell us what's going on; don't tell us propaganda.
What propaganda is being spewed? I don't hear the local media making any predictions and I hear lots of qualifying.

Rondale Moore has, by every estimation by everyone who has watched this team, had the best camp by a young receiver that anyone can remember since probably Anquan Boldin. No one is saying he will put up Boldinesque numbers, they are merely saying that if you watch him play, he's catching nearly everything and making plays. That isn't hype; that's reporting based on their observations, but they even qualify it over and over by saying it's just camp at this point.

I think some of you just live in negativity. I bet your dog walks up to you with it's tail between it's legs when you get home. :)

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TRAINING CAMP STOP: CARDINALS
GLENDALE, Ariz. — Kyler Murray and I had talked for a few minutes about his maturation and his ownership of Kliff Kingsbury’s offense, and the next steps he’d take in a very important third year as a pro when he dropped a line that really made me consider where he’s at as a player. And honestly, it wouldn’t have taking too much thinking for me to have thought of it independent of his mentioning it to me.

“Each year, it’s just trying to be better—I’ve never lost this much in my life,” Murray says. “I’m used to winning. I’m used to having those things, the attention to detail, everybody on the same page, that's just how I was raised and how I was taught to play the game. And I think a lot of our L’s and our issues have been from that, from not being precise on what we're doing, just being messy.”

Murray’s record tells the tale here, maybe one we’ve all been missing.

• 42–0 as a starter at Allen High, in Texas’ biggest prep classification.

• 2–1 as a starter as a true freshman at Texas A&M.

• 12–2 as a starter as a fourth-year junior at Oklahoma.

Add it up and Murray was 56–3 in 59 starts over a seven-year stretch. Conversely, in 32 starts as an NFL quarterback, he’s 13-18-1. And when I brought that up to Kliff Kingsbury, who recruited and knew Murray all the way back in those years he piloted the Allen High, he agreed that there’s very much something to all this—that Murray’s used to being part of established programs, with top-shelf talent around him. It doesn’t take away from his prior accomplishments. But it does color his first couple years in the pros.

“It's part of the process,” Kingsbury says. “And I think one thing he's had to learn to do is how even to win ugly, because he’s had so much success. I mean, you’re talking about this period of time where he didn't even play bad games, forget losing. So you have a bad first half in this league, which you're going to have when teams you’re playing are really good. You just have to find a way to win in the end, and that's what the great ones do, and I think he's working through that.

“It's not always going to be pretty. It's not always going to be blowing people out by 50, you're going to have to battle. You have to grind and he's really made strides in that area.”

Murray still flashes all of the things that made him so dominant every other level, of course. On the day I was at practice, he roped an impossible throw over the second-level defenders, and into the hands of tight end Maxx Williams so effortlessly that it looked like he wasn’t trying, and later weaved through the defense, cutting a run back into the field in a way we all once used to see Michael Vick do it.

But that stuff alone, Murray’s learned, won’t get him where he wants to be. This offseason, with the Cardinals veterans having a cut a deal to shorten OTAs, Murray had receivers to Texas, and Arizona, to work with him. The idea was making Kingsbury’s offense his own, while also breaking in vets like A.J. Green, and trying to help younger guys like Andy Isabella find another gear.

“A.J., him being new to the team, we’re having to go out just trying to get him acclimated to the system, acclimated to the routes,” Murray says. “And I just get to meet them, hang around with them. And for the rest of the guys, I mean, they already know it. We had a lot of young guys that got a lot of meaningful reps. So that's also good for us. But as far as taking ownership of stuff, like you said, I've been doing that.

“It's just that, this is Year 3. It's time. It's time to put up or shut up. And it's really like there's no looking back. My goal is to win Super Bowls and be the best to ever do it. So that … I know it takes a lot of hard work.”

And part of that hard work is getting to the point where he can run these passing camps effectively—which requires going from student of Kingsbury’s offense to teacher.

“That’s the nerdy side of football,” Murray says with a smile. “It's just something inside you when you're playing quarterback. You're telling those dudes what to do and when they get on the same page, you can't really explain the feeling. It’s like a scientist perfecting whatever he's doing. That's how it feels. And it's fun when you're on the same page with your guys. Then, you can be great. That's what we're all trying to be, is great.”

As Kingsbury put it, “The first year we were here, they could've have had Superman playing quarterback and it would’ve been tough.” And that meant Murray would more often have to fall back on his natural tendency to take over. Two years later, Arizona needs less of that, and the Cardinals hope that’ll facilitate more growth from No. 1, to the point where the offense becomes Murray’s.

“That's what you want as a coach,” Kingsbury says. “You want to be able to call the play. And if he doesn't like something, he gets [to change it] because he’s the one taking the snap, he's down on the field. And that's I think when the magic happens, when those guys take complete ownership and they get to a call that they want.”

And Kingsbury saw that magic as a player, a decade-and-a-half ago in New England, and then again as a coach working against the Patriots.

“No question,” he says. “I remember being in awe of Brady with how he handled protections and getting guys to the right place. And now, Kyler going into Year 3, it's not Year 20 like Brady was. But he has so much better understanding of where he wants guys, how he wants to run it, how you want to run it, and that's really helped.”

All of which will help get Murray back to where he once was. Now, he knows how much it’s going to take to get there, which is a lot more than it ever has for him. But it’s pretty clear he’s been ready to take on that challenge.

“When you're the No. 1 pick, you're not going to the best situation,” he says. “Obviously, I understood that. But that doesn't mean I’m here to lose. I’ll never adapt that mindset of, Oh, it's cool, we're going to get better next year. That's just not how I see it. That’s not how I play the game. So, yeah, it stinks. I've had plenty of nights in my room dark as hell, pops asking me what's wrong, All types of that. I mean, losing is not fun. I've never been a loser. It definitely hurts. It stinks to the core. But there's a beauty in learning the process of getting better.

“Like I said, I've never lost this much. So I've had to learn how to bounce back and get back going. And Monday once you come back into the building, you got another team that's hungry. It's any given Sunday in this league. I tell everybody all the time, this s--- is hard. People don't realize how hard it is. You can't really look at the schedule like, Oh, that's a win. Everybody's good. That’s how I see it.”

It’s the right way to look at it, of course. And that means it’s up to Murray to try and be better than just good in a critical year for both he, and the franchise.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Zaven's gotta be more physical with Chase

Hop obviously needs to not hold.
Golden would have had him at the line too if he could tackle the QB

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Like a loaf of bread

Teams will be watching this and DB's will try to knock it out of his hands
He's done it his entire career... His freak athletic ability likely helps to prevent constant turnovers, but yea, NFL defenders are too quick and too skilled. There is a reason NO ball-handler carries the ball that way and remains viable in the NFL over the long-haul. He needs to be coached up hard on this issue...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think some of you just live in negativity. I bet your dog walks up to you with it's tail between it's legs when you get home. :)
I don't live in negativity, but I try to live in reality. Not everything is going to go my way, and it's better to be prepared for that than be devastated when it doesn't.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What propaganda is being spewed? I don't hear the local media making any predictions and I hear lots of qualifying.

Rondale Moore has, by every estimation by everyone who has watched this team, had the best camp by a young receiver that anyone can remember since probably Anquan Boldin. No one is saying he will put up Boldinesque numbers, they are merely saying that if you watch him play, he's catching nearly everything and making plays. That isn't hype; that's reporting based on their observations, but they even qualify it over and over by saying it's just camp at this point.

Eh, blind golly-gee homers like @tnmike bring it out of me. I'm just my usual pessimistic self, and let's say it's being magnified in response.

And, yeah, this was funny. Like, I'd never be cruel to animals. Well, maybe to Tango and that deer lol

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Golden would have had him at the line too if he could tackle the QB
Nah Ive seen Kyler slip through runs like this before. He doesnt get him when Kyler gets momentum. However, he would have got him earlier if Hump doesnt hold, lol.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eh, blind golly-gee homers like @tnmike bring it out of me. I'm just my usual pessimistic self, and let's say it's being magnified in response.

And, yeah, this was funny. Like, I'd never be cruel to animals. Well, maybe to Tango and that deer lol
I don't see how my position of waiting until games to be played makes me a homer. I want to see good results as much as anyone but I won't criticize until some results are revealed this year

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't live in negativity, but I try to live in reality. Not everything is going to go my way, and it's better to be prepared for that than be devastated when it doesn't.
Anyone that is truly devastated over a football game probably needs some mental help

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Anyone that is truly devastated over a football game probably needs some mental help
I think this is the issue. Overall, you don't really care what the end result is, at least not that much. And trust me, I get it. Like I mentioned, I'm an ASU fan, but if we lose, I'll most likely forget about it in minutes, hours if it was a big loss. If we were in the National Championship, I might be heartbroken, but otherwise I don't care all that much.

Illogically, I have an investment in how this team does. When they win, I'm at a high point. When they lose, I'm genuinely sad, and it sticks.

In no way am I judging your fandom, I think you're just cool to see how it goes, have fun if they win, and forget about it if they lose.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson