Rumor: Lakers Seeking Sign & Trade for CP3

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a lot of talk that the Knicks are going to offer CP3 an ungodly contract.

no way he takes
Yeah, it's highly unlikely he'd take it but at least the Kincks have some assets of interest should everyone choose the sign and trade option.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's highly unlikely he'd take it but at least the Kincks have some assets of interest should everyone choose the sign and trade option.

Knicks have the money to sign Paul outright and not many big contracts to do a trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks have the money to sign Paul outright and not many big contracts to do a trade.

But since they have cap space that means we don't need to match salaries in a sign and trade. It depends on if Paul wants the extra year a sign and trade could get him. He also might push for that as not to leave Booker and the Suns high and dry.

I'd be shocked if he chose New York over us unless NY pays him crazy money. He has great relationships with Booker and Monty here.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Given that CP3's home and family are in L.A., and that he already took this Suns team to the NBA Finals, the only teams that concern me are the Lakers and Clippers. They are the only teams that could offer CP3 something other than money that the Suns can't, while being as likely, if not more likely, to make a championship run with him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Given that CP3's home and family are in L.A., and that he already took this Suns team to the NBA Finals, the only teams that concern me are the Lakers and Clippers. They are the only teams that could offer CP3 something other than money that the Suns can't, while being as likely, if not more likely, to make a championship run with him.

Luckily there’s this thing called the salary cap so unless he’s willing to play for the MLE we don’t have to worry about them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 can still sign there for the MLE and make up the difference with Lebron/Hollywood endorsements. At least the Suns are wise enough not to hamstring themselves by overpaying the likes of Dennis Schroeder, but this isn't entirely put to bed just yet.

He's not taking a $36 million dollar pay cut this year to go to LA. He can't make up nearly that much in endorsements. He still lives in LA and isn't exactly low profile now. He might make an extra million or two from endorsements but that's it. Unless LeBron personally cuts him a check for the difference then he's not going there for the MLE. Doing that will also hurt his standing with the players union.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn't the Clippers burn him already shipping him to Houston? Definitely can't see him signing there for a discount.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But since they have cap space that means we don't need to match salaries in a sign and trade. It depends on if Paul wants the extra year a sign and trade could get him. He also might push for that as not to leave Booker and the Suns high and dry.

I'd be shocked if he chose New York over us unless NY pays him crazy money. He has great relationships with Booker and Monty here.

I was just talking about the topic presented. I don't see Paul going to the Knicks. He would want to stay on the West coast.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
LOL

You're comparing Chris Paul to a broken down Steve Nash and Tyson Chandler? We're not going to trade a good to great player to the Lakers.
How would you classify Chris Pauls play in the finals? He looked pretty broken down to me. Another NBA season on that body has me concerned.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
the Lakers are stuck. They have zero trade assets. Nobody is trading you anything for Kuzma and THT. They can’t trade any first rounders for Like the next 8 years.

with Lebrons age and AD’s injury history I really don’t see them being a threat much longer

How many times I've felt this and they manage to pull a rabbit out of the damn hat. I hope that organization and it's fans suffer loss for a long time but they're a spoiled rich child with endless luck.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
How many times I've felt this and they manage to pull a rabbit out of the damn hat. I hope that organization and it's fans suffer loss for a long time but they're a spoiled rich child with endless luck.

All of their luck was still allowed by the CBA. Teams over the cap have restrictions to sign FA’s. This ain’t MLB.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How would you classify Chris Pauls play in the finals? He looked pretty broken down to me. Another NBA season on that body has me concerned.
For the most part, not great. I just don’t think those 6 games (he actually had a good game 6) completely invalidate the previous 80. He’s not the kind of player where a switch gets flipped and now all of a sudden he’s useless.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Valiant, but ultimately his body wouldn't cooperate, not so much due to being broken down but due to freak luck injuries and illness during the playoffs (the shoulder, then COVID, then the wrist ligaments, then the dislocated finger during which I believe he reaggravated the shoulder injury).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For the most part, not great. I just don’t think those 6 games (he actually had a good game 6) completely invalidate the previous 80. He’s not the kind of player where a switch gets flipped and now all of a sudden he’s useless.

Plus he was the reason they won Game 1 in the Finals and the reason they even had a chance to win Game 6, despite all of the injuries.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

he did not have a good game 6 he had an average to bad game 6 by Paul standards. 5 assist and 3 turnovers for your pass first PG is not good.

the fact Paul is kind of escaping his finals meltdown is amazing to me.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

Chris Paul is the reason we were in the finals. I'm just nervous about the age and the miles he's put on it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chris Paul is the reason we were in the finals. I'm just nervous about the age and the miles he's put on it.

I'm more nervous about our alternatives at point guard. I don't ever want this team to go back to what it was in the years prior to this past season, miraculous bubble run or not...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He actually played well in 3 of the 6 games. Considering that Booker only played well in 4 of the games, Bridges only showed up in 3 of the games and Ayton only showed up in 3 games also, the focus on Paul looking bad to weak is head scratching.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He actually played well in 3 of the 6 games. Considering that Booker only played well in 4 of the games, Bridges only showed up in 3 of the games and Ayton only showed up in 3 games also, the focus on Paul looking bad to weak is head scratching.

they wore us down like a boxer going to body in the early rounds to pay dividends late.

you could tell we were beaten down by the physical play by game 6

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they wore us down like a boxer going to body in the early rounds to pay dividends late.

you could tell we were beaten down by the physical play by game 6

oh I agree. I just didn’t think it Paul was alone being physically and mentally worn down by the end.

by the end of the series it was clear we were basically watching a matchup of men v. boys, comparatively speaking.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
oh I agree. I just didn’t think it Paul was alone being physically and mentally worn down by the end.

his is the biggest crime though

games 1/2 were good all around game 4 was absolutely there for the taking Ayton grabbed 17 boards and Book dropped 40 but Paul had maybe the worst game of his entire career

game 5 was also there for the taking Ayton got 20/10 and Booker went for 40 again Paul was good and 4/5 will haunt my dreams

Paul finished games 3,4,5,6 with a -13, -10, -6, -8 to end the series

we just weren’t good with him on the floor. He couldn’t deal with the Physical play but he’s also older and smaller. I blame Monty for not changing it up. Booker should of been bringing it up court or Payne they never really tried to get Holiday off of him

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Woj and Lowe saying the Lakers have offered Kuzma and KCP to pretty much the entire league. Buddy Hield is being rumored

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Valiant, but ultimately his body wouldn't cooperate, not so much due to being broken down but due to freak luck injuries and illness during the playoffs (the shoulder, then COVID, then the wrist ligaments, then the dislocated finger during which I believe he reaggravated the shoulder injury).
I completely agree.

The 4th quarter of game 2 is when I saw him rapidly decline (right after clutching his left wrist).
In that Quarter he went 2/9 with 3 TOs. From there on out he averaged a VERY unChris Paul-like 3+ TOs per game. He never looked right and for the first time this year wasn't playing with that chip on his shoulder. He just wasn't right.

Game 1, he was MVP.
Game 2, we proved once again to be the superior team. Then he hurt his wrist.
After that, he fought as hard as he could through finger and wrist injuries and could never get back to his MVP form. The team suffered and could never overcome the slight edge that an incredible Milwaukee team gained from it. In a game of centimeters, that was enough.
That's the story.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA